Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

GT4 preferred track wheels and tires?

13K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pdortkamp 
#1 ·
I've got a couple more track events coming up for the GT4 and I know if I push hard I'm going to take a lot of tread off my factory tires, plus I don't want to beat up my factory wheels either.

What's the preferred set up for track wheels and tires for the GT4 from those who have been running them for awhile? Or at least some of the plus and minuses of whatever configuration someone is running...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Most people running GT4s are using 19" wheels. OZ Leggera and BBS CH-R are economical choices, OZ has minimal clearance at the front brake caliper. Forgeline and CCW fit better and cost more. Most are running Bridgestone RE71R, 245 F and 285 R. Some run larger F. Hoosier 235 or 245 F and 295 R work. Rear toe link is a problem with some wheels and a problem with all cars trying to achieve a good track alignment and stability under hard braking.

#3 ·
It all depends on your grip/longevity/price mix.
RS-4s- good for 10 track days, competent grip and heat management, low price.
NT-01- good for 8 track days, 1 sec faster than RS-4, good grip and heat management, low price
RE71r- good for 4-5 track days, 1 sec faster than the RS-4s, good heat management, low price
Z214- good for 3-4 track days, 3 seconds faster than RS-4s, excellent heat management, moderate price.
R7- good for 2 track days, 4 seconds faster than RS-4s for a few HC, excellent heat management, high price.

Pick your poison.

Reactions: conceptDawg
#4 ·
The problem is that the GT4 (and all 981s) allow only a few wheel and tire sizes so unless you're going to radically change the size you're not going to have a lot of options. You're probably best off dropping to 19 inches for a track setup in a size that fits an RE71R. These are known as "cheater slicks" in some racing series (mine included). Very grippy and good durability. I mostly agree with cajun's post above comparing the tires, but I think the RE71R will be 2-3 secs faster than RS4s. But the RS4 is cheaper and will last probably twice as long.

You might also try the ZIIs. That's the tire I've been running on my 986 racecar (the series requires 200TW tires) and it's a good balance of grip and durability. Similar to RS4.

Btw I see a lot of posts about "what tire will have the best grip," but unless you're an experienced and skilled track day driver you are better off with a tire with LESS grip so you can learn to control a sliding car. Put on a set of all-seasons and you'll learn more about car control in one day than you will probably in a year on slicks. And you might even have more fun.

#7 ·
Thanks Cobby, thanks for the reccomendation. The Factory GT4 Clubsports run custom 18 inch wheels, but they come with different front calipers and maybe a different rear link, so both expensive and uncertain for a stock GT4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.