Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

GT4 Press Articles

43K views 135 replies 62 participants last post by  Crazy Pete 
#1 ·
Shall we start a new thread for GT4 specific articles?

I'll start:

The rebel

#6 ·
As a weekend and track car, I will like the sportier, more visceral driving characteristics. 2 issues to accept: I will not love the manual over the PDK, and I will not like the low front end clearance. But, I plan to modify the black plastic spoiler to make it removeable to give it better city driving clearance.

#15 · (Edited)
But, I plan to modify the black plastic spoiler to make it removeable to give it better city driving clearance.
It appears that the front spoiler/lip continues back to the wheel well, then up to just about to the side indicator lights. Could be multiple pieces, but if it isn't your notion won't be easy. Also, i don't think you'll be hearing "hey, lip spoilers are cheap" much in regards to the GT4.

#10 ·
Ram air would only increase the power output at high speed (at speeds where the car is pushing significantly pressurized air such that the air entering the ram air intakes is significantly above atmospheric pressure - similar to turbo concept but far lower psi likely).

So at standstill (ie a dynamometer) yes the 3.8 still produces far more hp than the 3.4 you reference but the additional "10%" would only come into play at high speed. Whether it's actually 10% and at what speeds is TBD

#11 ·
I'm SO confused! Is the 385 horsepower Porsche claims taken on a stationary dyno, or do they possess some magic way of rating the hp while at speed? If this poorly written article is to be understood, the forced air from the intake would be adding 38.5 hp to the 385, meaning at speed it has 423.5 hp. :dance:

I guess I need a larger glass of Porsche Kool-Aid.

#16 ·
I wouldn’t overthink anything in that article. It also says the GT4 front end was taken from the GT3. And if you read the comments, an earlier version of the article appears to have claimed the GT4 engine was based on the GT3 engine...

Reactions: Mike R.
#12 ·
Does this help:

Standing in the workshop again, looking at the yellow racing hero one more time, Preuninger follows my gaze and provides impromptu commentary on the details. “The side blades are not a cosmetic feature. They ensure that the air has a higher flow rate when it enters the injection tract—to cover the engine’s greater need for air.”

Taken from Christophorus, No. 370

#17 ·
I thought I read somewhere that ram air is 99% market and 1% legit because it might net 1% more power. Per wiki. When I read the 10%, I thought he was being sarcatic and making fun of them.

Ram-air intake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"At low speeds (subsonic speeds) increases in static pressure are however limited to a few percent."

#18 ·
Yes, if you do the compressible flow calcs ram air at anything less than Mach 0.3 is almost negligible. The scoops aren't for compressing flow as much as they are just to try and capture adequate air and prevent the pressure loss that may occur at that area of the car at speed.

#31 ·
Gawdamn! Carrera S snarl and thrust, Cayman composure. What's not to like?

#32 ·
Well, damn... This is making me want one again, especially his comments about driving it on the street.

#33 ·
Reactions: Ynot
#35 ·
So I wonder if the sport button is just for auto-blipping or if it does indeed sharpen the throttle like the Harris review seems to suggest. I'm just glad it has its own button but would have preferred it to be unlinked to anything including throttle response. I like to drive around with sport throttle sometimes but do not want it auto-blipping for me!

Here is another one -

Pistonheads preview to full review:

Porsche Cayman GT4 - by the numbers

#37 ·
Chris Harris review

https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/drives-and-rides/porsche-cayman-gt4-driven

Lots of kudos in article Many kudos

Bottom line

"I think Porsche has done a superb job, but – and here’s the rubI wouldn’t sell my 991 GT3 to own a GT4 unless I was absolutely obsessed with the manual gear change. The bigger car’s engine is on a completely different level ... And it is way, way quicker and more aggressive."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.