Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't comparable at all. But i wanted to get your guys opinions. The 718 boxster S just lapped the Nurburgring at 7:42. How do you all think it will compare to the gt4. I didn't think it would get that close. anyways im happy with my GT4 haha:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Part of the grand scheme marketing push. The new motor had to run a couple clicks faster than ....fill in the blank ... To get any traction in the market place.

That it got that close to a GT4 time is quite amazing regardless, but torque and HP can cove a lot of sins.

D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just wait for the 718 Cayman S lap time, since Porsche gives the Cayman S greater HP and torque numbers than the Boxster. The 718 Cayman S will be the lap time winner over the GT4!

·
Banned
550 Posts
Just wait for the 718 Cayman S lap time, since Porsche gives the Cayman S greater HP and torque numbers than the Boxster. The 718 Cayman S will be the lap time winner over the GT4!
According to the initial 718 announcement, both the 718 Cayman and Boxster will have equal horsepower/torque numbers this time around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This seems to be no longer true with the 718.
As Porsche does with the 911 - coupe and convertible will have the same hp numbers.

The Cayman S lap times might still be a bit faster as coupes tend to have less chassis flex.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
And 'Ring times matter because everyone here is a professional driver who could "easily" turn sub 8 minute lap times, don't forget that! :hilarious:
God bless your gift of sarcasm.

If you never drive the Nordschleife, it doesn't matter whether you drive a Fiat Panda or a 991 GT3 RS.

If you turn a 12-minute Nordschleife Bridge To Gantry lap in a Renault Twingo, you're probably also going to turn a 12-minute lap time in a GT4.

It is not until you have made the investment to develop your skill set beyond the limits of Pandas and Twingos, that you will be able to exploit any THEORETICAL advantages of cars like the GT3 and the GT4. You cannot buy your way into a materially faster lap time. What you CAN do, is to piss off faster drivers, by using an even faster car to prevent them from passing on the straights, and then parking it in the corners. I keep enough bail money in my pocket to cover a misdemeanor assault charge, for just this reason.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
God bless your gift of sarcasm.

If you never drive the Nordschleife, it doesn't matter whether you drive a Fiat Panda or a 991 GT3 RS.

If you turn a 12-minute Nordschleife Bridge To Gantry lap in a Renault Twingo, you're probably also going to turn a 12-minute lap time in a GT4.

It is not until you have made the investment to develop your skill set beyond the limits of Pandas and Twingos, that you will be able to exploit any THEORETICAL advantages of cars like the GT3 and the GT4. You cannot buy your way into a materially faster lap time. What you CAN do, is to piss off faster drivers, by using an even faster car to prevent them from passing, and then parking it in the corners. I keep enough bail money in my pocket to cover a misdemeanor assault charge, for just this reason.
You forget that my car made the gantry run in less than 12 parsecs...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

Did you rent it to an alien that day?

Reactions: X73

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

If you have not watched "Galaxy Quest", you should.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know this isn't comparable at all. But i wanted to get your guys opinions. The 718 boxster S just lapped the Nurburgring at 7:42. How do you all think it will compare to the gt4. I didn't think it would get that close. anyways im happy with my GT4 haha:hilarious:
It compares like this: the guy driving the GT4 will come out after the lap with a much bigger smile on his face!

...oh, and the Boxster S sounds like a WRX ;-)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It compares like this: the guy driving the GT4 will come out after the lap with a much bigger smile on his face!

...oh, and the Boxster S sounds like a WRX ;-)
Completely agree. I got the GT4 because its essentially like a toy, with all the adjustments. And that nasty turbo 4.... BLEH

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yes, the 718 sounds like a Subaru Outhouse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
After watching this video, I feel so lucky to have been able to custom order my GT4. I'm sure the 'New' flat four turbo will be fast or faster going forward but for me it's more about the total experience not just the lap times.
The sound of the flat six is an integral part of the experience and so far I'm not a convert.

https://youtu.be/71dPKCqVegs

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I remember the dismay of many when the 981 CS came out and ran times equal to or better than the Cayman R if memory serves. Get what meets your personal requirements and enjoy the ride.................Actually I solved this problem personally a few years back when I went from the Cayman R to the 2014 Cayman 2.7L and have never looked back (current 2016 Cayman is also 2.7L with main difference being X73..).

1 - 20 of 73 Posts