Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
"The Boxster chassis has been designed specifically as a convertible from the get go unlike many other convertibles which are sedans with their roofs chopped off, there is hardly any extra stiffness to be had in the Cayman."

I'm not sure about this. Where'd you get this info? Porsche says the Cayman has 40% more torsional rigidity then the Boxster. To me that's significant and noticeable.
Cayman vs boxster - Page 2 - Porsche General - PistonHeads

"A bit google suggests stiffnesses of (in NM/deg):
early MX5 4,800
Elise s1 10,000
Z4 14,500
BMW e46 coupe/saloon 13,500 - 16,000
Boxster 16,000
Ferrari 360 23,000
Z4 Coupe 28,000
Cayman 31,500

We know cars are getting stiffer. I wouldn't say stiffer is automatically better. There are some brilliant cars out there with poor torsional stiffness (by today's standards) - mx5, 205gti, elise. Even the e46 comes in less stiff than a Boxster and I never heard any complaints about them.

Cornering loads are small compared to this. Consider that a boxster weighs about 1300kgs, say 1600 fully loaded (and to make the calcs easier). It can corner at about 1g, creating a centripetal force of about 1600N. The rigidity is 16,000 NM/deg. Assuming the cornering load is shared between the two outer wheels alone and pessimistically assuming the chassis is 45 degrees to the load (unlikely unless you're russ swift). That equates to 400/16000 = 0.025 degrees of flex. If a cayman flexes half that, do you really think you'll notice that extra 0.0125 degrees? (Feel free to correct me if my engineering maths is wrong, it's been a while!).

Porsche want you to feel slightly better about the Cayman so you'll pay a premium to buy them. If it didn't have some mythical handling advantage, you'd just buy the cheaper boxster. IMHO it's 99% marketing hype, 1% real world."

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/porsche-boxster-vs-cayman-0390

"Unlike many convertibles, the Boxster and Cayman were developed to cope without a roof from the outset, meaning the handling differences between the two are minimal. If you really throw both down a road with enthusiasm, the Cayman reveals itself to still be the marginally more stiff of the two.

That’s nit-picking of the highest order, however – both cars are staggeringly good from behind the wheel.

- See more at: https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/porsche-boxster-vs-cayman-0390#sthash.dRJqMKkU.dpuf"

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Do you remember the SVO's version of the government-mandated 85 mph speedometer?
That is hilarious! I never knew they did that...
It was ugly!
But it gets way worse than that. Our Federal Government overreach got so bad back in the 1970s that they passed a USA National Speed Limit of 55 mph! No state could override that. We referred to that NAZI speed limit as the damned "Double Nickel". Many of us put stickers on our Porsches having a 55 speed limit sign crossed out with the red circle and slash mark, or a similar 55 mph speed limit sign where the 55 was altered by replacing the lower part of the 5 with a red Soviet Hammer and Sickle insignia.
Some Senator from NJ who had never driven on a rural interstate highway had introduced that damned law. Disgusting!! So, millions of drivers revolted for years, and highway speed cops had a lot of fun writing gazillions tickets. It was so unnatural to drive on rural interstate highways at 55 mph, that virtually nobody obeyed that speed limit, unless they were suffering from severe cognitive decline. Washington did not want to hear any of voters' protests. We didn't riot and loot. And it wasn't until the Reagan Administration and the Republican-led Congress, that they reversed that damned law.
Thank God!
Check out Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55!" at https://youtu.be/RvV3nn_de2k

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think that the Federal Government actually enacted the 55 MPH limit since that would be usurping states rights. They got around this by threatening to cut off all Federal highway funding to states not enacting the limit on their own.

williamr

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
True.That's how the Federal Govt does it in modern times, and it always works when threatening funding. I lived in LA (Louisiana for those of you unaware) from 1989-2006. It was legal to drink and drive there most of those years, as long as blood alcohol was not more than 0.1%. One by one, every state made it a felony, and soon moved to 0.08% for the legal limit. LA was one of the last states to do this, and did it only because Federal Highway Funds would be held back if LA didn't comply. But it was still somewhat loosely enforced, depending on area, and LA's thousands of drive-thru frozen daiquiri shops survived. They have to put a little piece of tape across the hole on top so it is sealed, and then hand you the straw.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Those numbers are old from 2008 for a 987, cause the newer 981.1 has a torsional rigidity of 40,000 to 42,000 Nm/deg depending which source you look at. It is nearly as stiff as a car with a carbon fiber tubbed. Not sure how that integrates to the topic, but that is the updated info on our cars. Super Stiff!

·
Registered
737 Posts
^^^
This is correct.

One week ago I watched a 718S Cayman on track tires completely pants a GT4 on a hilly circuit. :) Make of it what you will.

·
Registered
474 Posts
One week ago I watched a 718S Cayman on track tires completely pants a GT4 on a hilly circuit. :)
<can I suggest to append this> "but as the 718 distanced itself from the GT4, the Subaru-like whining sound was replaced by the glorious notes of the GT4's NA 3.8L six!" :dance:

Reactions: cobby

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would expect the 718 to be quicker at some tracks simply because the torque/power is available from low down instead of needing to have to rev the car up. At the end of the day both cars are capable in their own way it's just what tickles your fancy. For me naturally aspirated is the way to go. I prefer supercharging over turbocharging however if I am to go with forced induction.

·
Vendor
2,476 Posts
Its all about POWER / TQ - UNDER THE CURVE....ponder that :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did euro delivery of my 1M Coupe and spent the following day on the 'Ring (so much for that break-in period!), driven a 718S, and just bought a GT4. Unless you can drive the Nordschleife in your sleep, I think most good drivers with a bit of training, who do a few track days a year, are going to lap faster (possibly much faster) in the 718S. For most of the circuit you can't see beyond your next corner, and that makes it very hard to fully commit without taking a pause. The 1M was very good there, and I'm sure the 718S would be even better. I think the GT4 would be more satisfying, but only faster if the driver was very skilled and familiar with the track. Simulator games and videos don't give you any idea of the actual elevation changes and how they affect the car. It's truly a roller coaster and the most entertaining thing I've ever done in a car.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts