Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not very impressive :)

I mean I'm sure one cooling thing or other is ruptured. Just aircool it.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably the work of insane drivers in Italy. You need a sports car to keep from getting run over.
I don't want to take away from the owner's story since I asked him to come tell it here, but what I read on Facebook was that he hit a patch of water and hydroplaned on the pilot sport cup tires that come on the car and lost control and hit something. Much discussion on Facebook about whether or not these are the right tires for the car.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
No, they just have narrow roads in the mountains!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looks tough now

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
They are the right R comp tires for the dry, but have poor grip on anything more than a damp surface. Hence the warning in the GT4 owners manual about the hydroplaning danger from standing water. They are not an intelligent choice for regular street use.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Big block tires do aquaplaning.

If you have them you need to go ox cart mode when there is standing water. Wet road isn't pretty either.

I kind of agree that they shouldn't come standard on a sub-$200,000 car, but then it is a GT4 so maybe the owner should have studied the properties of all the equipment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
First, I am sincerely happy that he was not injured. That said, The Owner should have educated himself on the specs of his high-performance car and it's capabilities. It's unfortunate that owners, at the bare minimum, do not take the time to read through their owners manual. -In this instance it would have saved him a lot of downtime without his GT4.

And IMO (fwiw), these are the right tires for this car.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have approx. 9000mi in dry and wet on PSC2s on a 991 GT3 and think the tires are ok for wet roads, not great but ok. Standing water is tricky and I slow down going through it and try to be very smooth with driver inputs. Also have only driven above about 40F. Just my experience. GT4 is different of course but for street would expect the tire performance to be similar.

Edit- that being said I plan to get a set of MPSS for street driving and track wheels with PSC2, TrofeoR, for track.

·
Registered
583 Posts
First, I am sincerely happy that he was not injured. That said, The Owner should have educated himself on the specs of his high-performance car and it's capabilities. It's unfortunate that owners, at the bare minimum, do not take the time to read through their owners manual. -In this instance it would have saved him a lot of downtime without his GT4.

And IMO (fwiw), these are the right tires for this car.

They are the right tires for ultimate performance but I am not convinced they are the right tire for all. For me, not being able to confidently drive the car in rain on stock tires is a negative. A box check option to put on a normal max performance summer tire would be welcomed.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I definitely feel bad for the guy... but it's ultimately a lesson learned.

I remember a guy buying a Mazdaspeed3 in the winter and almost immediately wrecking it. He came on the forums and complained to the heavens about not being told not to drive it in the snow with the summer-only tires it came with. He seemed to want to blame everyone but himself.

It was unfortunate, but he got very little sympathy. This is the same sort of thing but at a much higher price point.

Hopefully he'll get it all patched up and have many years of huge grins ahead of him. :)

Reactions: acropora

·
Registered
65 Posts
They are the right tires for ultimate performance but I am not convinced they are the right tire for all. For me, not being able to confidently drive the car in rain on stock tires is a negative. A box check option to put on a normal max performance summer tire would be welcomed.
I hear you.... But conversely this is an Ultimate Performance Vehicle that can be driven on the street, and it may not be a right fit for all.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I've learned that when there has been little or no rain for a couple weeks, it's best to be very careful since the accumulated oil on the road mixes with the rain, and it could cause any car to lose control. So it would be interesting to see what the specific road conditions were. If those conditions didn't exist in this case and the driver wasn't speeding, then it would be problematic since the car is not suitable for street driving where the average GT4 will spend the vast majority of its life.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Standing water and wet surface are entirely different matters as far as tire are concerned. One is flow design, the other is rubber compound composition.

It is actually very possible to have a soft summer-only tire do OK on wet because of the rubber mix and it might still float like a boat over standing water.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a set of Cup 2s that I use for track days, which include driving to and from some tracks that are hundreds of miles away. They aren't good in the wet but they are manageable if you know what to expect. They have more grip than Pilot Super Sports (which I have also ran) but it's not noticeable unless you are really pushing it. The Cup 2s also ride harder, wear out quicker, and are noisier. It's a lot of downside for a little upside in the form of slightly better track times. I think for most drivers, they would be much better off with the Super Sports.

Reactions: cobby

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I definitely feel bad for the guy... but it's ultimately a lesson learned.

I remember a guy buying a Mazdaspeed3 in the winter and almost immediately wrecking it. He came on the forums and complained to the heavens about not being told not to drive it in the snow with the summer-only tires it came with. He seemed to want to blame everyone but himself.

It was unfortunate, but he got very little sympathy. This is the same sort of thing but at a much higher price point.

Hopefully he'll get it all patched up and have many years of huge grins ahead of him. :)
Agreed on all points, it is the drivers responsibility to be aware of how the tires he/she has on the car affect it's handling, this could be tread compounds, temperature, or surface contaminants like water or sand.

As much as we would like to believe that the GT4 (or any 981) is a super mechanical wonder, the driver is usually the one (by ignoring certain aspects of driving dynamics) that gets the poor car into trouble!

Reactions: acropora
1 - 20 of 43 Posts