Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that race in either series I'm looking for input. In general I really like the way PCA handles racing, the no contact policy etc. That said the nonesense of using only OEM control arms, toe links, seat sliders, etc etc etc makes it really really frustrating to overpay for oem parts that I already own from the aftermarket. As an example I came across a place in the rulebook where the same oem part (996 rear toe link) is legal for both GTB1 and SPB. Yet the tarett rear toe link that is legal in SPB, is not legal for GTB1. Its nonsensical.....

To go race with NASA is so straight forward. Follow their normal safety protocols, get a dyo sheet and you are on track (for the most part.) Of course....contact is a bit more acceptable and the agression on the track is higher (from what I've heard.)

Any who.....just looking for thoughts on this. Initially I was planning on racing in both, and swapping the throttlebodies back and fourth to stay legal and competitive. I might still do both, just curious to know other's experience and input....

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run my Cayman S in NASA GTS-4. I ran all season this year with no contact. Of course you have highlighted some of the differences between PCA and NASA.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I run in NASA races. All very enjoyable. Mostly in SU or GTS-5. Contact is pretty unusual in the shorter sprint races, but it is a bit more likely than in PCA. NASA does run a wide range of classes, with a wide variety of race cars that possess a wide range of speeds, all together, and this is probably my biggest complaint. The speed differentials among classes is growing more and more as much faster Daytona protoypes and Radicals, bigger engine Covettes and such are all now racing in NASA among much slower Mazda Miatas.

But if you do enjoy racing, I think NASA is great. But I would limit my racing to race tracks that have larger runoff areas, and very very few walls. As you can guess, this is usually much more important with actual bumper to bumper racing than it is in running timed laps or HPDE sessions. Have fun!

·
Vendor
703 Posts
I'm in that photo somewhere in the back! Is that 2008?! I have tried to get these cars homologated in different places. NASA seems very straight forward. I have also gotten Caymans with and without 3.8L motors in SCCA classes where even the PDK is legal. We need more Cayman venues, that's for sure. Are you racing a 981 or a 987?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was meant to be posted in the 987 section. I didn't realize it when I posted it, and then forgot about it until your responses (thank you.) I am running a 987, not a 981.

The season just ended up here so its high time to start prepping for 2015. While I've done a lot of arrive and drive formula stuff, next year will be my first go around in wheel to wheel with my own car. I expect a learning curve as I am my own mechanic. Obviously the more I do, the more efficient I'll get.

As for the SCCA - in my area the numbers are super low. Not sure why, but they just don't get the turnouts that the PCA and NASA get.

Thanks for the advice Bodhii. It makes perfect sense and is super obvious, but I hadn't thought about the risk factor going up a multiplier relative to DE's.

Thanks for the input.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts