Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to make up my mind..I love the stitching that comes with the GTS package.Also I want CF interior.
I really love the red stitching!!!
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Cant seem to make up my mind..I love the stitching that comes with the GTS package.Also I want CF interior.
I really love the red stitching!!!
Any thoughts?
Sounds like you love everything about the Alcantara interior package. So what's difficult about the choice?

For what it's worth, I picked leather because I'd been wanting the two-tone leather since I started working out my build long before the GTS was a thing, and really wanted the ventilated seats.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Personal preference but for me I would get the full leather as Alcantara does look "dirty" after a few month. I am not too crazy about microfiber cloth or fake suede. FWIW, Alcantara is cheaper than leather, they just charge you more just because you're willing to pay more for it here. Over Europe Alcantara is the standard material on the cheapest seat.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Depends how good you are with keeping up with a cleaning regiment and how much you can tolerate the leather wrinkles as your fat *** wears it down ;). Alcantara requires constant brushing and vacuuming to keep clean and consistent in texture, but I like how it doesn't get too hot in the summer, nor does it get too cold in the winter negating my need for heated seats. If you find yourself eating/drinking more often in the car, leather's definitely the way to go as removing stains from alcantara will take a bit more effort too. One thing to really think about regardless of the interior choice is whether you can stand having the Alcantara steering wheel. Definitely not for everyone and it'll wear down faster without constant care.

No one's offering properly Alcantara branded material as the entry level for interiors. They're often polyester fabrics or microfibers instead, like my uncle's BMW 118i sport. Even the Europeans pay into the premium for the trademark.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the way alcantara looks and feels. SA advised considering the sport design steering wheel, changes to smooth leather / lessen visible wear. Clicking that option also puts smooth leather on PDK shifter but I wanted it alcantara ... fits with the rest of the interior. If the steering wheel shows wear and I'm unhappy, can always be rewrapped. If alcantara wasn't good, Porsche wouldn't put it as standard on GT3s.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will all laugh but what I really want is black full leather with the red stitching..I drink coffee when I drive and live in my car because its just a car..I like real leather opposed to fake suede..
I have 2 tone leather in my 981CS now and love it..
@QHB,do have have experience with alcantara?
I would hate for it to look crappy after a few months..I do think that leather looks "cleaner"

·
Noob
857 Posts
I am liking the looks of alcantara, specially the grey-ish sport contrast coloring with GTS interior package.
My steering wheel with alcantara does make my hands a bit more sweaty though. Gonna put a cover.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It can be a difficult choice. As leather is a no charge option, it appears to be the best value. However, Alcantara is more sporty and found on Porsche's special edition cars. There are some other differences as well.

Leather - will look newer longer, can get two tone interior, can get heated and ventilated seats.

Alcantara - is Porsche's choice for the GTS derivation, more sporty, matches the headliner material, can get deviated stitching, more grip in the seat.

No wrong answer, but if you want the stitching, you must get the Alcantara.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If alcantara wasn't good, Porsche wouldn't put it as standard on GT3s.
I don't think that's entirely fair. Alcantara is grippy and perfect for race cars. You see Alcantara steering wheels in NASCAR all over the place, and I'm sure in every other racing series as well. So people know it's great and Porsche puts it in the racy cars because people recognize it. But in race cars, it only has to last a few hours. Then they can put a new one in. Not so much for street cars. :)

Of course, I tend to wear through leather wheels in under 100k km's on my cars as well, so it's probably a toss up for me. You're absolutely right in that if it wears such that you don't like it, steering wheels and shift knobs are pretty easy to swap out later on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Alcantara in my STi wore very nicely. Even after 7 years it was easy to clean and looked like new. I had no reservations about keeping the Alcantara wheel from my previous experience with the material. That said I do try to keep my hands clean when I drive it as its less work for me later. Leather master has a nubuck leather kit that works nicely. A denapping brush and cloth works great for maintaining the soft feel of the material, but I've had my car for 2 months, and haven't needed to use it yet.

I didn't get the GTS interior package, as I felt $4k was a bit steep for contrasted stitching and CF bits, but I did think it looked nice, so its all personal preference there. The standard keeps all the dial's black, and I still got the GTS logo (in black) satin stitched on the headrest.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
No one's offering properly Alcantara branded material as the entry level for interiors. They're often polyester fabrics or microfibers instead, like my uncle's BMW 118i sport. Even the Europeans pay into the premium for the trademark.
Alcantara is trademark so when then say Alcantara it is Alcantara. Sorry to bust your bubble but just check others Porsche site such as UK and the Alcantara is placed below partial leather. See the capture below.

There is no argument that Alcantara is great for racing car due to the extra grip it provides. Value wise it's a man made material and cost less than leather. For the same amount of TLC the leather will look better than Alcantara in the long run.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You will all laugh but what I really want is black full leather with the red stitching..I drink coffee when I drive and live in my car because its just a car..I like real leather opposed to fake suede..
I have 2 tone leather in my 981CS now and love it..
@QHB,do have have experience with alcantara?
I would hate for it to look crappy after a few months..I do think that leather looks "cleaner"
I have Alcantara in the WRX. Cleaning is easy as you just use a damp microfiber towel. The material will stain so you got to clean up the mess right away. I know my seat got a little darker in some area and the softness is not consistence throughout. It might be my imagination but somehow I think it just doesn't look "fresh" like when new. One other thing about Alcantara that I don't like is it doesn't smell as good as leather.

BTW, it will not look crappy after a few months. It just take more effort to keep it from looking crappy such as clean immediately and comb it often.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How I wish we had the sports bucket seat option in the US.

I went to my dealership and stayed almost 2 hours. SA I was previously talking to saw me in the car and said, "you're still here?" after I already placed my order. I spent over an hour in a GTS with alcantara and from every angle, it looks used and distracting. It's almost like a carpet after you just vacuumed. Depending which way the fibers are pointing, the gray shades are different and patchy. I could not get over how it looked despite that I ABSOLUTELY love the red stitching, carbon fiber, and red center gauge. Particles also stick to it easier, rather than sliding off like leather.

If it was the same price as leather, I would but for $3,000, it did not seem like an upgrade. Look on the bright side, at least the ceiling will be alcantara.

In a moments weakness, I went to the SA and had him change it back to full leather, espresso.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I really like the Alcantara interior. I with the standard interior in the GTS. Blk dials, leather dash, blk stitching, alcantara steering wheel, shifter, headliner, seats. Black subdued GTS stitching. I did upgrade the trim to blk anodized aluminum. A black out interior differentiated by textures. I couldn't be happier. It's distinct, the right mix of luxury and racing influenced, great visual usability (no reflections & clarity of dash board instruments).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Alcantara is trademark so when then say Alcantara it is Alcantara. Sorry to bust your bubble but just check others Porsche site such as UK and the Alcantara is placed below partial leather. See the capture below.

There is no argument that Alcantara is great for racing car due to the extra grip it provides. Value wise it's a man made material and cost less than leather. For the same amount of TLC the leather will look better than Alcantara in the long run.

Glad we're not paying UK prices then, but i digress, i read your statement as other cars in general and not in the context of Porsche's cheaper seats. That option on the UK site is even worse in that it's leatherette instead of leather with the Alcantara inlays, which accounts for its cheapness more so than the Alcantara I'm sure. PCNA probably can't imagine equipping any car with leatherette here in the states.

Surface wear for equal TLC is better on leather, but you'll get wrinkles on the seat cushions with leather and ugly sagging over time. Synthetic fabrics have always been better for that part. I do agree 100% that leather smells better though, Alcantara smell can be a little raunchy for those with a sensitive nose.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Glad we're not paying UK prices then, but i digress, i read your statement as other cars in general and not in the context of Porsche's cheaper seats. That option on the UK site is even worse in that it's leatherette instead of leather with the Alcantara inlays, which accounts for its cheapness more so than the Alcantara I'm sure. PCNA probably can't imagine equipping any car with leatherette here in the states.

Surface wear for equal TLC is better on leather, but you'll get wrinkles on the seat cushions with leather and ugly sagging over time. Synthetic fabrics have always been better for that part. I do agree 100% that leather smells better though, Alcantara smell can be a little raunchy for those with a sensitive nose.
It is the same in south korea. We have to put down $4500 for leather interior. Personal prefermce should be respected but I wouldnt opt for stuff that is usually cheaper in other cases. Such as SS over PASM and alcantara over leather seats.
I dont wanna spend the same for the cheaper options. Feel like I am being the scapecoat for the marketing gimmick.

I remember the happiness and agony when i used configurator for more tha hundreds of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It is the same in south korea. We have to put down $4500 for leather interior. Personal prefermce should be respected but I wouldnt opt for stuff that is usually cheaper in other cases. Such as SS over PASM and alcantara over leather seats.
I dont wanna spend the same for the cheaper options. Feel like I am being the scapecoat for the marketing gimmick.

I remember the happiness and agony when i used configurator for more tha hundreds of times.

Chickahoy, now that you are on the other side of it (I.e you already paid), time to stop commenting on posts regarding the price of things! You and I can forget about that together. Time tojust enjoy the car. F it, we paid what we paid and now time to make throttle response our #1 priority!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts

Agreed, which is why I couldn't take the free leather option on the GTS as that would've eliminated my thousand dollar GTS stitching on the headrests ;) and this ridiculous $2500 lower dash trim. The natural leather price hike is warranted because at least you get aniline leather which will definitely cost more than any other material offered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts