Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody with a GTS getting condensation in their tail lights?

I am getting quite a bit. It starts by the bottom edges and works it's way up in a very fine but heavy mist on the inside surface of the lens. No way should that happen. Already to,d dealer, will see them about it this week.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I noticed this once on my drivers side rear lense the first time I washed my GTS in September. I did not notice it the second time I washed the car. Since then I have been doing a rinseless car wash so I never get the car fully wet.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This should not happen bc the unit is completely encased and waterproofed. I have a thread on changing out tail lights and its a completely air tight housing. There should be no moisture in the actual housing. When the car is wet (morning dew or post wash) you will see condensation on the edges but never really on the inside and definitely no misting. If that's happening take a pic of it bc that means the casing has some defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
UGH -- NO PLEASE NO don't let this car do this too. My RX-8 had this problem bad! It started off fogging up, then I'd notice water actually collecting in them, then it collected enough to blow out the bulbs, then I drilled holes, then it went back to fogging. There were many, many people that had the issue, though. Mazda never did anything for any of us, though I'd expect Porsche to handle the issue better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I get this too on my 2015 Cayman GTS. So far, only close to the edge of the light housings.

I found a whole bunch of things which would be disappointing on any car, and particularly on a $90K car, but I'm not going to stress over all that. It is a fun car, and I'll enjoy it regardless of the little annoyances. Not planning to keep it for too long anyway since it's designed in a way that would make it a nightmare to do any non-trivial work on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a problem with the clear smoked tails. It's not plagued to just the gts. There have been a few other treads regarding this. I installed the clear tails first week they came out and it happened immediately as it was in late fall early winter. Called suncoast and they confirmed it's normal. It will disappear and leave nothing behind. Several of us have experienced this already.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a problem with the clear smoked tails. It's not plagued to just the gts. There have been a few other treads regarding this. I installed the clear tails first week they came out and it happened immediately as it was in late fall early winter. Called suncoast and they confirmed it's normal. It will disappear and leave nothing behind. Several of us have experienced this already.
Saying it is normal does not mean that it is right. You could sell a car with square wheels and say it is normal if all of the cars you build have square wheels. It it not ok, on this or any other car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I seem to recall that the owners manual says something about this, but I don't have the manual with me to check. I believe it says that water may sometimes appear inside lenses but that it will evaporate without causing a problem. I don't remember whether it related to headlights or all lights

·
Registered
358 Posts
The manual mentions that the headlights may mist due to temperature changes, and this will clear after driving the car.

The tail light condensation is not something that I like - none of my other cars have ever had it. However, it's not among the top 5 things that annoy me the most about this car, so I don't think about it. I realized already that this is not a car for OCD types!

·
Registered
121 Posts
UGH -- NO PLEASE NO don't let this car do this too. My RX-8 had this problem bad! It started off fogging up, then I'd notice water actually collecting in them, then it collected enough to blow out the bulbs, then I drilled holes, then it went back to fogging. There were many, many people that had the issue, though. Mazda never did anything for any of us, though I'd expect Porsche to handle the issue better.
I had an RX8, and I replaced 3 "fish bowled" tail lights and 4 sun visors in three years. Not one of Mazda's best efforts, not a car to keep out of warranty.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I fortunately do not have this I my tinted lights. I've never seen this after dozens of washes and flash hurricane weather we have in So Fla. This maybe acceptable but does not seem normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
was at the dealership on Friday, and walking among the new deliveries, saw heavy condensation in a standard Cayman tail light. Only the left hand one, not the right--so clearly this a manufacturing QC problem. The SA had no explanation for it other than to say "that shouldn't be happening".

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is what my GTS's taillight looked like after several smaller driving trips in 76F Southern California driving...

The flash on my cell made it look a little worse, but I was still pretty upset looking at it. Right is just as bad as the left. Because of the flash, you can barely make out where the water was actually puddling on the inside of the light. If you follow the protrusion of the light along the spoiler from right to left, you can make out some of the outlines of the pooling water.

I have a due bill for a replacement of my matte black front fascia piece because some asshat pulled it up onto a concrete parking stop and the rebar put a nice aftermarket groove in the underside. Looks like I'll be asking them to do more than just disable roadrunner mode in addition to that when I take it in...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
This is one of those times when "They all do that" really is the correct answer. How many times do people need to be told this is normal before they believe it? :crazy: The housings are not hermetically sealed. Nobody ever said they were. Consequently, you may see some condensation under certain conditions. No big deal. Move on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is one of those times when "They all do that" really is the correct answer. How many times do people need to be told this is normal before they believe it? :crazy: The housings are not hermetically sealed. Nobody ever said they were. Consequently, you may see some condensation under certain conditions. No big deal. Move on.
+1 the housings are not sealed. There has to be air movement thru the lights so they dissapte the heat produced by the LED's. My 997.2 gt3 did the same thing after a washing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts