Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to finalize GTS config

Had a test drive in a GTS with the standard interior - nothing wrong with it at all, very nice.

Now I am questioning the value of the GTS Interior pkg.

The deviated stitching makes it pop for sure and adds more uniqueness, just not convinced it is worth it.

Also thought I liked the silver deviated stitching, now I may be leaning to red especially with the red gauge
(assume white exterior)

If I had to choose between Interior pkg and Backup camera+CDR Audio - I'm not sure which i would cut.

I don't necessarily need the backup camera, but it will be mandatory in a few years - wife has it and it is helpful at times...whereas you see and sit in the car all the time, so maybe the interior pkg is more important.

decisions...decisions

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My recommendation would always to be to wait a bit longer to save that bit more to get everything exactly as you want. The only thing more expensive than the price of an option is the price of regret, especially if it's a very long term car.

The reality is the carbon fiber trim is a huge chunk of the GTS Interior Pack price. Specced separately that carbon fiber trim is somewhere around $2400.

I have White/Platinum Satin/Rhodium Silver GTS Interior Pack myself. Definitely looks "the business". I'll be doing very similar with the GT4.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If you're having a tough time justifying the cost, I don't think you're going to hear anything here that's going to help you along. It's a lot of money for mostly stitching. That said... it's REALLY nice stitching. If you're sold on the Alcantara and just HAVE TO HAVE the stitching, then just suck it up and either pay it or save up longer. If you'll regret not having it, then get it and never again think about the price.

That said... there are other options. I was speccing my car out for quite some time before the GTS was announced and I fell in love with the two-tone interiors. When the GTS was announced and we found out all the options, I liked the Alcantara interior well enough, but still not as much as what I'd always wanted, so I ended up sticking to my guns. In the end I'd have paid a similar amount either way as with the Alcantara and GTS package I wouldn't have ordered the leather seat backs, black aluminum, or ventilated seats.

The bottom line here is that it's really about what you think your perfect car is. These cars are special. If you're ordering one custom made for you... don't end up with regrets. Saving a few more months is better than having to second guess your choices.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I passed on the GTS interior pack. I'm not a fan of the deviated stitching. For example, the standard black "GTS" lettering on the headrest looks cooler to my eyes than the same in red. I also prefer the standard aluminum trim than the darker CF pieces of the GTS pack, as the silver is more of a contrast and brightens up what is otherwise a dark interior. And I think the price is typical Porsche price gouging. YMMV.

As for a back-up camera, really? I see that several people on this forum are considering it, but do you really need a camera to show you what's going on a few feet behind you? Seems like the thousand bucks for this option (more price-gouging) is better spent elsewhere. Again, YMMV.

Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Regarding the backup camera, I didn't expect it, but it has proven to be very useful to me. Examples: 1) My wife parks in the driveway in front of the door of our 1-car garage when she thinks I'm not driving that day. When I back out at night, its not that easy to see behind coming from a lighted garage into the dark. I can see such obstructions clearly with the backup camera, and it has saved me several times from running into her car.:p 2) Had to back out of a long, narrow and curved driveway from a local car wash when I decided the track was too high for the CGTS. I was able to back out easily with the camera. That would have been much more difficult by eye because I couldn't see the curbs. Its also handy (not necessary) for backing out of tight parking spaces when there other cars parked close behind.

As stupid as this sounds, a front camera looking down could possibly be useful in avoiding low points and those concrete parking bumpers, which aren't picked up by the sensors.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I passed on the GTS interior pack. I'm not a fan of the deviated stitching. For example, the standard black "GTS" lettering on the headrest looks cooler to my eyes than the same in red. I also prefer the standard aluminum trim than the darker CF pieces of the GTS pack, as the silver is more of a contrast and brightens up what is otherwise a dark interior. And I think the price is typical Porsche price gouging. YMMV.

As for a back-up camera, really? I see that several people on this forum are considering it, but do you really need a camera to show you what's going on a few feet behind you? Seems like the thousand bucks for this option (more price-gouging) is better spent elsewhere. Again, YMMV.

Good luck!
I really disliked the basic silver plastic trim from the first time I saw it in person. If I wanted silver, I'd go for the actual aluminum that's available.

As for the backup camera... as Artrem said, it's actually quite handy. It's ludicrously expensive for what it is, but I'm happy to have it. Visibility out the back just isn't all that good, even with the roof down. You're sitting so low in the car that a whole lot of stuff can be hidden from you.

Incidentally, I expect that to be a standard feature in another year or two. I think the US made it law that all cars need to have them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think the base trim is plastic. If it is, it's an awfully good replica. When you touch it in cold weather, you get that condensation "halo" from the immediate heat conduction of metal. I don't think you'd get that with plastic. Regardless, this is a matter of taste. I'd actually prefer trim that Porsche doesn't make: the slightly duller sheen of the brushed aluminum option (which I think looks better than the standard more-shiny look) but with the smooth finish of the standard trim (which I think looks better than the brushed look). I'd also like the tach to have a red line on it that starts with an "8," but hey. You pays your money . . . .

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
It never looked or felt like anything but plastic to me. :) Incidentally... I believe the GT4 comes standard with the brushed aluminum. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
It never looked or felt like anything but plastic to me. :) Incidentally... I believe the GT4 comes standard with the brushed aluminum. :)
While a fairly minor gripe, I don't particularly like the shiny plastic (or metal) interior trim. There are more than enough shiny bits on the console buttons and sport steering wheel. Love the feel of the sport steering wheel and I wouldn't change that, but if I had it to do over, I would spring for either the leather or carbon fiber interior trim. I replaced the trim on the center console with a leather covered one, which helped. However, it's pretty pricey to change out the dash trim and I haven't found anyone who provides door trim.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ordered my car with the GTS interior, would definitely do it again. Love the carbon fiber and alcantera, especially the way the steering wheel feels.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
While a fairly minor gripe, I don't particularly like the shiny plastic (or metal) interior trim. There are more than enough shiny bits on the console buttons and sport steering wheel. Love the feel of the sport steering wheel and I wouldn't change that, but if I had it to do over, I would spring for either the leather or carbon fiber interior trim. I replaced the trim on the center console with a leather covered one, which helped. However, it's pretty pricey to change out the dash trim and I haven't found anyone who provides door trim.
The door trim isn't easily removed and therefore nobody sells replacement parts for them. They're just not separate parts so far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Very nice pic, John.

Yes, I too succumbed to the lure of the GTS Interior Package, and love it. I was pleasantly surprised how the CF interacts with the sunlight. And, I do very much recommend he tailored/contrasting look of the white (Plantinum Silver) thread.

Is it worth the money? Of course not, but get it you'll love it. ;)

Reactions: John OKC

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have the red stitch GTS interior on my GT silver BGTS. I absolutely love it, especially with the top down where you can 'take it all in' from outside the car. Look at it this way...aesthetics are the first thing you notice about any car. Is it expensive? Sure. But it is a GTS specific interior. Porsche designed it very well with just the right balance of red accents. I did opt for the leather wheel and shifter though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts