Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTS owners, which wheels did you choose and why?

I am torn between the 20" Carrera S wheels and the 20" SportTechno wheels. For the most part, I have liked the looks of Carrera wheels, but in some of the online reviews I have watched, the car has been specced with the Sport Techno wheels, and the look is kind of growing on me. Both sets are the same diameter (20") but the SportTechno wheels are a .5 inch wider in both the front and back (presumably this improves traction/handling) but they also might be a bit heavier than the Carrera wheels which increases 'unsprung weight'.

20" Carrera S
8 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
9.5 x 20 ET 45 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)

20" SportTechno
8.5 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
10 x 20 ET 50 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)

Assuming you would be happy with the looks of either set of wheels, does the wider track in the Sport Techno wheels add anything to the experience? Or would the performance difference be minimal between them?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I went carrera S as it had the satin option. I was torn between the white and the GT grey and went white because I kept watching the Chris Harris Videos of the GT3. To me, the wheels making the biggest impact on how a car looks and the combination of the white and grey wheels was by far the best combo.

When it comes to width and weight, if I was going to really stress over half an inch or a couple lbs, aftermarket wheels and tires will be a better option imo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Satin Black Carrera S wheels. My understanding is that the Carrera S wheels are the lightest of the offerings, and I loved the Satin Black finish. SportTechno were the heaviest also, if I remember correctly. Not sure if the extra width is worth it. I do love my wheel choice however.
You can click the image in my sig for a larger version.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I chose Carrera S wheels because I thought they looked great in satin platinum with the coloured Porsche crest.

Also, it looks like there is plenty of space between the spokes to be able to clean the inside of the wheels without having to take them off the car.

I've not yet taken delivery of the car, so don't know whether my theory will work in practice - but I still think they look great.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Carrera S in Satin Platinum. Really nice look and color. The fact it's lightest is just a bonus. :dance:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the sport techno on my last 981 CS .I have the Carrara S on my new one.i weighed them and the set of the Carrara s wheels were 12 lbs lighter. 57r&47f lbs vs 53&43 lbs with the same tires on both . carl

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Satin Black Carrera S for a Racing Yellow C-GTS (on order)-- they will compliment all those other "black" highlights and trim pieces... The colored crests come "standard" with the black satin option. Of course, my selection is based on the rendering in the configurator ... though I have seen the black satin wheels in fact and they look very stunning.
Good to know that the Carrera S wheels are the lightest.
Don

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Not a GTS but I bought the Carrera Classics. I would have bought the Sports Techos if I could have gotten them painted black.

That Option was not available at the time I placed my orderer. When it did become available I tried to change the order but the car had already started production.

:cheers:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am leaning back toward the Carrera wheels now, since lighter wheels are probably preferable. I also didn't notice this at first but it appears to be the exact same tire size between the Carrera and SportTechno wheels. So the wider wheel doesn't actually have wider rubber...

Now to decide if I want platinum or black satin or stick with the default aluminum color on the Carrera wheels.

I am planning to get Sapphire Blue as my paint color, so I kind of think the default aluminum with the colored Porsche crests looks best with that color.

Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've gone for the Carrera S wheels in partial gloss black paint to match the gloss GTS Black exterior package. At the end of the day all of the wheel options look great!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Platinum Satin. Like the look and they show dust a lot less than wheels painted with exterior color, which is black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Platinum Satin, because... well.. this... :D

WP_20141201_013.jpg WP_20141201_018.jpg

Reactions: Steff BGTS

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
WW, those look like black satin wheels to me.

Platinum satin Carrera S here.
Yeah... I'll get much better pics once I actually have my hands on her. :) They don't even offer the black satin wheels in Canada. :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thought all those wheels take the same tire size. Maybe wrong, but don't think you can get wider tires with any wheel.

id go with the carrera s wheels. They look great and the most popular in both 991 and 981, making them somewhat of icon. I read they are the lightest too and wheel weight makes a big difference in acceleration,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Carrera S Platinum Satin and yes, the spokes are wide enough apart to get your hand through and clean the whole wheel without removing it from the car

·
Registered
34 Posts
Carrera S Satin for me, why?

1. love the wheel
2. looks great with Sapphire Blue
3. Easy to clean
4. Easy to repair (compared to the turbo wheel)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts