Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

321 - 340 of 369 Posts

·
West Coast Group & PCA Member
268 Posts
This photo was taken at Laguna Seca last November at a PCA sponsored DE day. It was my first time driving my new GTS on a track. All I can say is "Wow"! The car was so much faster than my previous 08 base Cayman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
View attachment 143241

Sport Design Wheel with CF.
Looks great!

I was/am considering this once again, what company is that from, from what I understand there are tape on covers or complete replacement for the aluminum bit... which is that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was/am considering this once again, what company is that from, from what I understand there are tape on covers or complete replacement for the aluminum bit... which is that?
It's real CF from DBCarbon. The "aluminum" and attached yoke is just pressure fit into the foam/rubber backing of the steering wheel -- held in place by tabs. You have to move around and pry it off.

IMG_1347.JPG

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It's real CF from DBCarbon. The "aluminum" and attached yoke is just pressure fit into the foam/rubber backing of the steering wheel -- held in place by tabs. You have to move around and pry it off.

View attachment 143289
Thanks for the details, I had also seen they CF upgrade where it was simply taped to the existing aluminum and want to compare.

Any other comments about how it looks in the car? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
One thing that surprised me was that you actually have to puncture a hole in the steering wheel rubber to release the airbag. It is a small hole, but nonetheless I wasn't happy to find that out. It also came with no instructions whatsoever.

That said, the CF piece itself from DBCarbon was flawless. It is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't hesitate to order anything else from them. It also matches up perfectly with the other CF trim in the car.

I could do the work now in about 15m now that I know how. But I don't have paddles so I have no idea if that complicates things.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
One thing that surprised me was that you actually have to puncture a hole in the steering wheel rubber to release the airbag. It is a small hole, but nonetheless I wasn't happy to find that out. It also came with no instructions whatsoever.

That said, the CF piece itself from DBCarbon was flawless. It is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't hesitate to order anything else from them. It also matches up perfectly with the other CF trim in the car.

I could do the work now in about 15m now that I know how. But I don't have paddles so I have no idea if that complicates things.

Not sure what you mean here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what you mean here?
The airbags on these cars have a release spring that is activated by pushing a rod through a hole in the bottom of your steering wheel. If you check your wheel (and you've never had your airbag out) you'll find that there is a small indentation where that hole is supposed to be, but no actual hole. The first time you pop the airbag out you have to "break the seal" by puncturing the housing at the indentation.

In other words, Porsche knows that you've had the airbag out of your car.

If you're going to actually do this, please remember to disconnect your battery first and let your car sit for at least 10m. I waited 30...

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The airbags on these cars have a release spring that is activated by pushing a rod through a hole in the bottom of your steering wheel. If you check your wheel (and you've never had your airbag out) you'll find that there is a small indentation where that hole is supposed to be, but no actual hole. The first time you pop the airbag out you have to "break the seal" by puncturing the housing at the indentation.

In other words, Porsche knows that you've had the airbag out of your car.

If you're going to actually do this, please remember to disconnect your battery first and let your car sit for at least 10m. I waited 30...
Ahhhh, makes sense, I thought that it might be something like that. I really like the GT4/Spyder style of wheel, but can't bear to spend that much to change it out, hence the interest in the carbon trim. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ahhhh, makes sense, I thought that it might be something like that. I really like the GT4/Spyder style of wheel, but can't bear to spend that much to change it out, hence the interest in the carbon trim. Thanks!
I think I would want to try the GT4 wheel out first. I understand that they are thinner and I think I wouldn't find that as comfortable as the sport design wheel.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I finally got around to finding some pics to post of my GTS. DBM w/ Espresso lether inerior, 6 speed, PCM(installed myself), Brombacher tune, GTS Madison.jpg GTS interior.jpg not much else

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I finally got around to finding some pics to post of my GTS. DBM w/ Espresso lether inerior, 6 speed, PCM(installed myself), Brombacher tune, View attachment 143569 View attachment 143577 not much else
Looks great with the DBM, my 2013 had Agate Grey leather with DBM and in most lighting conditions it looked very much like your pictures show, very classic interior!

So you installed the PCM yourself? Did the dealer have to do some code changes to enable it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, the dealer had to activate it once I got the codes. I've documented in in the Electronics section of this forum, but short story, I paid a Russian hacker for the codes, used PayPal w/ credit card so I had some protection, and the dealer was VERY skeptical they would work but it took less than 5 minutes after they got them to get everything working. Bought the PCM on eBay, bought the cables from a dealer over the 'net, did all the install myself with LOTS of help from others on this forum, and it works great. I even got the very latest maps from the Ruskie as a recently built interstate exit near me was on my maps, not on our Bimmer nav.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Yes, the dealer had to activate it once I got the codes. I've documented in in the Electronics section of this forum, but short story, I paid a Russian hacker for the codes, used PayPal w/ credit card so I had some protection, and the dealer was VERY skeptical they would work but it took less than 5 minutes after they got them to get everything working. Bought the PCM on eBay, bought the cables from a dealer over the 'net, did all the install myself with LOTS of help from others on this forum, and it works great. I even got the very latest maps from the Ruskie as a recently built interstate exit near me was on my maps, not on our Bimmer nav.

Cool, always good to hear and 'international' success stories!

I took a quick check in the electronics section for your story but didn't see it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
IMG_0583.JPG

My father with my car. He is 79 and has struggled with his health the past few years.

This is only the second time he has seen it. The first time I asked him if he wanted to see the engine and then I popped the frunk. "Oh wait!" I said it must be in the back. (His favourite car was a white 63 Corvair so he got excited). I popped the trunk and he looked at me. "Where the ---- is the engine?" He said.

My father was a body and fender man in final prep for GM years and years ago.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
View attachment 155866

My father with my car. He is 79 and has struggled with his health the past few years.

This is only the second time he has seen it. The first time I asked him if he wanted to see the engine and then I popped the frunk. "Oh wait!" I said it must be in the back. (His favourite car was a white 63 Corvair so he got excited). I popped the trunk and he looked at me. "Where the ---- is the engine?" He said.

My father was a body and fender man in final prep for GM years and years ago.
He looks as proud of the car as you are, great to see!

The DBM with Platinum Satin wheels looks very rich and clean, one of my favorites...

·
Registered
648 Posts
:hilarious:

321 - 340 of 369 Posts