Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I was in the process of finalising my Cayman GTS order when the GT4 was announced. I had done the test drives, configuration and was ready to pull the trigger. The Cayman GTS is a wonderful package of handling, power and convenience (PDK), however when I test drove the car I couldn't shake the feeling the car needed a manual transmission. The GT4 comes out with the 3.8L and better hardware and it seems a no brainer. I can live without the creature comforts of the GTS as I think the driving experience with GT4 will more rewarding.

The car will be my daily driver. My ONLY issue is the 30mm lower ride height and being about to get in and out of car parking ramps. Notice that the profile of the front fender between the GT4 and GTS are significantly different, with the GTS being shorter and tapered. I live in Tokyo and all the parking is underground and having to negotiate with ramps. The GT4 is available (there are only 10 being allocated to Japan), it's just making the choice between the GTS and GT4.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Guys, I was in the process of finalising my Cayman GTS order when the GT4 was announced. I had done the test drives, configuration and was ready to pull the trigger. The Cayman GTS is a wonderful package of handling, power and convenience (PDK), however when I test drove the car I couldn't shake the feeling the car needed a manual transmission. The GT4 comes out with the 3.8L and better hardware and it seems a no brainer. I can live without the creature comforts of the GTS as I think the driving experience with GT4 will more rewarding.

The car will be my daily driver. My ONLY issue is the 30mm lower ride height and being about to get in and out of car parking ramps. I live in Tokyo and all the parking is underground and having to negotiate with ramps. The GT4 is available, it's just making the choice between the GTS and GT4.

Mixer, both cars will require negotiating up steeper driveways. Both will require that you approach slowly, at 45 degree angle with the wheels turned. I don't think the difference between 20mm and 30 mm would make me choose one or the other. If you want to keep your underside scrape free with either car, you will need to have a a protective plate built. Any machine shop can do it. Here is a picture:

Reactions: mixer9

·
Premium Member
744 Posts

The car will be my daily driver. My ONLY issue is the 30mm lower ride height and being about to get in and out of car parking ramps. I live in Tokyo and all the parking is underground and having to negotiate with ramps. The GT4 is available, it's just making the choice between the GTS and GT4.

I think that you also need to keep in mind that some of the hourly/daily fee off street parking lots in various parts of Japan use various mechanisms that might not clear the lower ride height of a GT4.

Given the amount of congestion driving in Tokyo or in and out of Tokyo driving a 6MT would drive me nuts.

Traffic slows down to a crawl when accidents happen on the highway. Given the hilly nature of most of Japan you are likely to run into accidents on hilly portions of the highway at some point in time.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to test drive both cars. That will take some patience since I expect that it may take some time to get behind the wheel of a GT4.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mixer, both cars will require negotiating up steeper driveways. Both will require that you approach slowly, at 45 degree angle with the wheels turned. I don't think the difference between 20mm and 30 mm would make me choose one or the other. If you want to keep your underside scrape free with either car, you will need to have a a protective plate built. Any machine shop can do it. Here is a picture:
Matt, I didn't have any issue negotiating the steep driveway at Porsche in Tokyo with the CGTS. Going to the dealership now to discuss.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts

mixer 9:

If you live in Tokyo and your life is all about traffic and underground parking, I don't think a GT4 is your car.

I would not order sport suspension with the GTS either.

I love my stick shifting Gen 1, but I live 40+ miles out of the city and a lot of my driving is fast expressways.

I lived in downtown Tokyo? I'd probably be happier with an S5 or a nice 3 series (not M3).

I love Caymans, but mine's not tall enough in town. Hard to see around anything with them.

My Gen 1 is set up a lot like the GT4 less 100 or so HP and a bunch of torque. It's low and it's great for me and I do take it into downtown Chicago now and then on weekends, but it's not ideal for that. Chicago is cake compared to Tokyo.

Oh, and I have 18" 40 series tires on my car, not 20" 30 series. Note that the GT4 has considerably wider tires than the GTS or S. It's going to bang harder on bad roads. This is a weekend car for owners who like DE's and going to club events. It's not a daily driver unless you're just out to punish yourself.

GTS with PASM is a nice package and could better handle your conditions. If you want to look racy, buy a bolt-in roll bar for it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: GTS vs GT4 - "beefed up" MT?

So I'm watching the Evo video about the GT4 and my ears perked up when I heard Andreas Preuninger at 2:35 say in passing that the GT4 has the "beefed up" manual transmission from the Cayman GTS. Did I hear that right? I didn't think anything about Cayman GTS drive train was substantially different from that in the Cayman S. Anyone know if this is true? :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I went to see Porsche in Tokyo today about the GT4. There are 10 allocated to the whole of Japan and they have already received 11 deposits. Apparently there will be a lucky draw for the allocations. I also took the time to test drive the GTS again. It's so planted, perfect in PDK that it's a little boring. I know that it's hard to say about a Porsche but I'm thinking how on earth do they improve here. In fact, I was wishing the car was more raw.

I'm going to sign up for an allocation for the GT4.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts

.... I also took the time to test drive the GTS again. It's so planted, perfect in PDK that it's a little boring. I know that it's hard to say about a Porsche but I'm thinking how on earth do they improve here. In fact, I was wishing the car was more raw....
mixer:

Push harder.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts

anything new and raw nowadays will be pretty low to the ground.

cars are so competent they have becoming boring at every day speeds. i believe the 991 gt3 has this problem too.

·
Registered
700 Posts

So I'm watching the Evo video about the GT4 and my ears perked up when I heard Andreas Preuninger at 2:35 say in passing that the GT4 has the "beefed up" manual transmission from the Cayman GTS. Did I hear that right? I didn't think anything about Cayman GTS drive train was substantially different from that in the Cayman S. Anyone know if this is true? :confused:
I heard that too, what's the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts