·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the opening sequence...

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I know this SUV is selling and selling well but I never liked it and can't get how buyers can due to the following:
1) an SUV with no useable rear seats.
2) an SUV with no big trunk
3) ugly rear
4) too low for off road (even the Cayenne is low for my needs)
5) these buyers, have they seen the new Range Rover? At the same price with similar features there's the Evoque that looks far better. And for real hardcore, there's the Sport, HSE, Vogue and Autobiography.

I'd be interested to hear from those who bought a Macan, why not RR instead.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I know this SUV is selling and selling well but I never liked it and can't get how buyers can due to the following:
3) ugly rear
5) these buyers, have they seen the new Range Rover? At the same price with similar features there's the Evoque that looks far better. And for real hardcore, there's the Sport, HSE, Vogue and Autobiography.

I'd be interested to hear from those who bought a Macan, why not RR instead.
1) not everyone needs rear seats all the time, for those who do, a small CUV is not the right vehicle
2) for this class of vehicle, you get plenty of storage with the rear seats down
3) debateable
4) air suspension will help, but you already know this isn't competing with real offroad capable SUVs
5) Range Rover's reliability record (or lack of one, it's not just bad, they consistently rank near the bottom) is a major deterent for me to even consider the brand (which is why I have the Lexus version of the reliable and capable Land Cruiser). My wife is due for an upgrade (she drives a RX300 now) and although she's been eyeing the Q5, I'm trying to get her interested in the Macan since I typically play chauffer on the weekends and hate driving her RX (prefer taking family in LX), but wouldn't mind driving the Macan if I need to take the family out. My LX will still be there for skiing, camping, long road trips, taking my parents or brother's family with us (seating 8 with kids in third row).

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have test driven the Evoque twice with the intent to buy it to replace my wife's A3 hatch at the time. Both times we found it something we could not bring ourselves to buy........gutless wonder with its weight and tepid performing turbo 4. Beautiful car inside and out but the performance was so lacking that the A3 hatch was far superior. Just our opinion. This is not an advocacy for the Macan as I have not driven one rather only our personal experience with the Evoque. By the way, we recently test drove the Audi Q3 and were not overly impressed with that either in terms of performance..........it and the Evoque need more power for the weight being carried.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I loved his review of the 981s when they first came out. I must have watched it a 100 times.

For the Macan, I don't see a reason to have that much HP and acceleration in a SUV. To me a SUV is a utility and passenger vehicle not a sports car. I have a 981 for that :)(but the Macan Turbo is faster lol) I've been a passenger in the backseat of my father-in-law's Macan and I thought the rear seats were perfectly fine. The road clearance is no big deal and the vast majority of owners will never take their car off road anyway. There is also a +40mm option for an air lift system to give it more clearance for those that want a high (and variable) ride height.

P.S. Did you notice in the video that they had the Porsche crests on the wheel pointed in the wrong direction? lol

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
PokerHobo, do you have a reliability report for the new RR?

I'm not doubting you, but I'm honestly asking. The feedback from owners here is very positive. Of course the cars are still new but with 6-8 months waiting list since the release, I guess the new RR is different than the previous model.

Ronald, I did ride in Evoque, can't judge it since I didn't drive it myself. But I loved it's exterior and interior. However the car is not for me and neither is the Sports RR since both have low ground clearance for my off road requirements. I'm after the Range Rover HSE that I drool on its looks and features. But after buying my 991 turbo, I need to take a breath before paying a big sum for an RR.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I loved his review of the 981s when they first came out. I must have watched it a 100 times.

For the Macan, I don't see a reason to have that much HP and acceleration in a SUV. To me a SUV is a utility and passenger vehicle not a sports car. I have a 981 for that :)(but the Macan Turbo is faster lol) I've been a passenger in the backseat of my father-in-law's Macan and I thought the rear seats were perfectly fine. The road clearance is no big deal and the vast majority of owners will never take their car off road anyway. There is also a +40mm option for an air lift system to give it more clearance for those that want a high (and variable) ride height.

P.S. Did you notice in the video that they had the Porsche crests on the wheel pointed in the wrong direction? lol
My salesman took me for a ride in a Macan turbo to impress me. And I was blown away with its performance and reasonable price. But that's it for me. The exterior looks and functions/capabilities didn't satisfy me. But yeah, it was fast!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been driving the Boxster for 6 years now. First, a 987 S Black Edition, then a 981 S. When it came time to trade up, lease wise again, I went into the dealer and said; "Before I go with another Boxster, that limits the amount of time I can drive during the year, and has certain space limitations, let me try driving a used 911 4S, and see how that suits me." I did. I loved the power, I loved the handling, I choked - on the price!
We had had other AWD CUV's in our house from time to time, like the CRV, and an Escape. Driving them was a half-step away from a minivan for me. I had also driven the Evoke, and found that to lack any real inspiration. Plus the interior felt, well - too British. Coin slots that don't hold quarters... are a problem.:crazy:

Well, I finally decided - A brand new Boxster GTS was going to grace my driveway. So what if I had to buy an extra set of wheels and snows, I was intent on driving this new car all year long !!! That was the little guy on my left shoulder talking, by the way.
As I was walking out of the dealership, all happy about my new car on order for a November delivery, I saw it. A Macan S (not Turbo), LAUNCH itself away from the dealership with chirps, squeels, and smoke. I waited... It returned in about 15 minutes. 30 minutes later, we were tearing up the GTS order, and I was about to be the proud owner of a new Impulse red Macan S. Which, I will drive 12 months out of the year, which, holds all my golf gear, luggage, bikes, skis, etc...
And which, drives very much like my Boxster did... Well, more so than our old CRV, or the Evoke I tried.
Only a few weeks to go.... He He He !!!
The little guy on my right shoulder is dancing !:dance:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I found this picture showing how little the size differ between Macan and Cayenne

390182_3803_xl_Macan_3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Since I was buying one, I'll add the following. I don't know nothing about Land Rover but know I would never buy one, just too many reliability issues reported. Also, an Evoque is a 4 X 4. A Macan is a CUV, big difference. It's not meant to go off-road other than soft-roading as in gravel or to aid in snow. The AWD is the same as in the C4 AWD. Full time, rear biased, no locking hubs. If you want a 4 x4, you buy a Cayenne. We looked at the Cayenne but it was to huge. That thing is massive. Might as well get an Escalade, and its far more expensive.

Poker - I cut and paste your answers in red to make this more cohesive

not everyone needs rear seats all the time, for those who do, a small CUV is not the right vehicle

Exactly. The Macan target audience is not for people who need rear seats. The target audience is couples with no children or empty nesters. This was well documented and is in some Audi magazine. I don't have the source in front of me. Certainly some people do buy it with small children but that is its strength. Think about it. With the baby boomer generation all retiring, who needs a back seat? Yet some do not want a sports car. What could be better? Sports car handling and power but the ability to soft road and go in snow?

for this class of vehicle, you get plenty of storage with the rear seats down
First, its not a SUV. It's a Crossover Utility Vehicle. As to the storage, there are other CUVs that give more space with the seats down. I consider this a weakness. Its not all that bad, but I wouldn't call it leading the class. Plenty? Meh. Maybe "ok"

3) ugly rear
debateable

Totally subjective. Some will call the rear of a 911 a porker or a boxster a Ferrari wannabe (i.e., fake) All opinions and we all got them.

air suspension will help, but you already know this isn't competing with real offroad capable SUVs
The Macan is not a SUV, it is NOT a 4 x4. Its a crossover vehicle meant for driving on gravel roads, hard sand beaches, and snow. It does what it is intended to do perfectly fine. Even then, 99% of buyers will never take it off paved roads. If you need a true 4 x 4, buy a Jeep or whatever is appropriate, but not a Macan.

Finally. Porsche will sell more Macans, over time, than all the 911s they ever sold. As they years go by and the cars are produced, they will be everywhere. With models ranging from 4 cylinder (for China) to diesels that already are in OZ and the upcoming GTS, but more importantly Turbo S models, you will have a car range for, literally, everyone.

Ten years from now, when the public hears the word Porsche, they will think Macan, not 911. Why? Because by 2025, there will be one in every neighborhood, in every Mall, and they will proliferate in every third world country where roads are not a strength yet buyers want some luxury.

Who buys these crossovers?

• Young couples with no children
  • Older couples whose children have left the house
  • Male 911 owners who want a CUV for the better half but not a huge SUV
  • 30/40 something males coming from M3s and other sedans wanting something sporty and want to try the marque
  • Current CUV owners of brands like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford etc who for the first time can reach up out of their price range and for "relatively cheap" money get a bare bones S car (if optioned well) and own a Porsche.

I think Macans are a great choice - for the purpose they serve. And when the Macan Turbo S comes out, every Boxster, Cayman, and base Carrera owner would be wise not to see if their car is faster in a straight line because - it won't be, especially if the tuners get ahold of it and can tune those twin turbos - which you know is coming. A Macan Turbo is a fast car. A Macan Turbo S, nm if tuned, will be very fast for reasonable money.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Here is what Porsche says about the Macan target demographics:

"As for target audience, Porsche sees two main groups. The first is younger and in their 30s or 40s, but without kids. The second demographic will be empty nesters. Each will be seeking to reward themselves with something that’s a cross between a sports car and a crossover."

While I am sure they are also getting some young folks with small children, along with some cross shopping from sport sedan buyers and lower tier CUV buyers, this car makes perfect sense for empty nest baby boomers. There is a huge market, across the world, of baby boomers with money to buy something but the days of sports cars is over or they want to try Porsche but come from BMW, Audi, Lexus, Acura, etc.

·
Registered
746 Posts
PokerHobo, do you have a reliability report for the new RR?
I don't believe there is sufficient data on the new gen, I'm just going by older data from Consumer Reports, Edmunds, JD Powers, etc... For the record, I think the RR brand is desireable and has good design. I currently own shares of Tata Motors even though I wouldn't buy a RR myself right now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is what Porsche says about the Macan target demographics:

"As for target audience, Porsche sees two main groups. The first is younger and in their 30s or 40s, but without kids. The second demographic will be empty nesters. Each will be seeking to reward themselves with something that’s a cross between a sports car and a crossover."

While I am sure they are also getting some young folks with small children, along with some cross shopping from sport sedan buyers and lower tier CUV buyers, this car makes perfect sense for empty nest baby boomers. There is a huge market, across the world, of baby boomers with money to buy something but the days of sports cars is over or they want to try Porsche but come from BMW, Audi, Lexus, Acura, etc.
For the record...
I am a 50 (almost 60) something, demographic busting, divorced, empty nester, soon to be retired to the white shores of Somewhereville, FL !
It really has to do with the fact that I met a woman, who shares my love of golf, but did not enjoy traveling to the course with her clubs in her lap as her hair flew all over the place in my Boxster!
ROFL...

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
For the record...
I am a 50 (almost 60) something, demographic busting, divorced, empty nester, soon to be retired to the white shores of Somewhereville, FL !
It really has to do with the fact that I met a woman, who shares my love of golf, but did not enjoy traveling to the course with her clubs in her lap as her hair flew all over the place in my Boxster!
ROFL...
You are the EXACT demographic for a Macan. Done with the sports car. Baby boomer retiring. No kids in the house. Heading South for the good life.

You could be the poster boy for the car :)

Except not quite seeing why you need AWD in FL but who cares. Go for it :)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Thank you very much Chows4Us for your superb detailed response... It made so much sense to me why neither the Cayenne or Macan could fill the void for me.

Everything you wrote qualifys me for them except that I seek a hardcore 4x4 off roader. Only three vehicle qualifies for that:
1) Wrangler: stunning but no comfort and very raw
2) Land Cruiser: very reliable and practical
3) Range Rover: very luxurious

I like the three. I own the second. And my heart belongs to the third.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Thank you very much Chows4Us for your superb detailed response... It made so much sense to me why neither the Cayenne or Macan could fill the void for me.

Everything you wrote qualifys me for them except that I seek a hardcore 4x4 off roader. Only three vehicle qualifies for that:
1) Wrangler: stunning but no comfort and very raw
2) Land Cruiser: very reliable and practical
3) Range Rover: very luxurious

I like the three. I own the second. And my heart belongs to the third.
I thought the Cayenne was a true 4 x4 with locking hubs but I never looked at it closely.

But as to why the Macan will become so popular, as I predict above, there is an article about the 13 worst selling cars. These Are the 13 Worst-Selling Cars of 2014 - Popular Mechanics Some of it doesn't mean much because the Ferrari and Lambo have low sales volumes, but of the "normal" cars, 8 are sports cars, Jaguar, BMW Z4, Nissan GT4, Audi TT, Audi R8, Dodge Viper, and 918. The 918 is limited run so that means nothing. The Viper sells very low numbers.

What is important here is the more common cars like the BMW Z4. It's a reasonable sports car sold at reasonable prices but they sold only 1983 cars in US. The Cayman had four years worse than that but recovered this year with the early adopters. But the killer statement is statements like this from BMW http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ports-car?-bmw-exec-says-it-may-never-recover ""The sports car market is roughly half of what it used to be," Ian Robertson, BMW's head of sales, told Bloomberg. "Post-2008, it just collapsed. I'm not so sure it'll ever fully recover." The problem, Robertson said, is that in Europe and North America, the car's role as a status symbol has diminished as SUVs and crossovers become more popular. And in China and emerging markets, he said, hot weather, pollution and a penchant for chauffeur-driven limousines have made sports cars less popular among richer clients."

Hence the popularity of crossovers. There will come a time when the words Macan and Porsche are synonymous.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Chows4Us your sources are always informative, thank you.

To address why the Cayenne is not a true off roader, I quote a post of mine from a different thread:

I'm not sure about the snow, this is new to me but I'm surprised. If the tires sink in snow the Cayman/Boxster/911 would have its belly raised by the snow and end up with tires spinning in the air. Check Porsche winter schools for reference.

As for the Jeep, no offense, but not in a million year the Jeep can come close to a Land Cruiser. The Empty Quarter Desert here is the test for every single hardcore off road vehicle. No vehicle is allowed by law in the EQ desert except if it was a Land Cruiser. No vehicle ever made it across till last year when Land Rover tested their new Range Rover crossing the EQ desert in a commercial with their camera crews. And since last year only the new Range Rover and Land Cruiser are allowed in. And yes, we deflate our tires half the air before hitting the desert for wider traction.

'You can go off road in a Range Rover, but you only get out in a Land Cruiser' was put to rest last year.
Similar to the Boxster, Cayman & 911, the Cayenne's belly is toooo low to survive off road. That's why I've been saying for years that the Cayenne looks like a midget next to my Land Cruiser. Its ground clearance is very very low too. Over the 5 years of owning my Land Cruiser I have pushed its limits off road where I can understand where it succeeds and others fail. The Land Cruiser is boring on the road but glides conquering the desert when it hits off road. I've driven it in muddy lakes, through rivers, streams, valleys, rocky hills... etc. It drives like no other. That's why the Range Rover Sports fails in hardcore off road; ie too low.

Regarding the article you referred to, below are my comments:
I believe the majority of Mercedes G are sold here. They're everywhere. Not sure which model years though since the look never changed in decades. However, I believe they took a big hit with the release of the new Range Rover. We have a very long waiting list up to 8 months the last time I checked in November.

The BMW Z4 I never saw one here for a decade or so.

I don't know what Scion is. And from looking at it, I don't want to know. :)

The Jaguar XK doesn't sell here either. I remember seeing one long time ago. Even the F-type is not selling well at all here. I think I saw only a couple of them if I'm not mistaken.

Something is not right about the GR-R number of sold units. It's a massively produced car. It's rare here but I believe in Japan it sells like cupcakes. I thought it sold well in the USA.

Cadillac in general is the worst selling GMC car here in the region ever since they shrank its size. Ford outsells it BIG time.

I see no Audi TT here. I loved it when it first came out long time ago but then I never looked back.

The Audi R8 is a very very rare car here. Love its looks, hate the badge.

Vipers don't exist here. Mostly American cars are loved by youngsters who can't afford a Viper. The rich youngsters go for anything but American cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
GTRs, aka Godzilla, despite being developed to be faster than a TT, it's target. Just don't sell. I don't know why but they can get 1,000 HP GTRs tuned.

What about the Toyota Land Cruiser? The Toyota Land Cruiser is a true 4 x 4 that I thought was used in Africa.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
There's only one Land Cruiser, that's Toyota's that I'm referring to.

Below are three pictures of mine in action

Attachments

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
There's only one Land Cruiser, that's Toyota's that I'm referring to.

Below are three pictures of mine in action

not to high jack but i found out something interesting about the Macan..

wE DID JUST MAKE SPACERS FOR THIS SUV... 25MM SPACER..

ITS THE ONLY PORSCHE NOT ON THE 5 X 130 BOLT PATTERN..

lemon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts