Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd throw this out there, I realize not many are in my area but those who are should know.

I had my car in for service at Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta this week. Dropped it off Monday, got it back yesterday. During this time, someone in their employ decided they unlock my glove box, take my pistol, and lock it back up. I've filed a police report, but the dealership does not seem interested in investigating any further to find out who the thief is in their midst.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fairly disturbing story, on several levels...

·
Registered
143 Posts
so if the guy whom stole it go shoot someone then police will be looking for you? that is really scary!
pardon my ignorance but may I know why did you have a pistol in your car? I am not judging anything here, just curious.
thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I will say it, what were you thinking? "Locked in your glovebox" means absolutely nothing. Glove boxes are not intended to secure a weapon. This is no excuse for the thief but frankly you're insane to leave a weapon in your car and yes I am judging.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
so if the guy whom stole it go shoot someone then police will be looking for you? that is really scary!
pardon my ignorance but may I know why did you have a pistol in your car? I am not judging anything here, just curious.
thanks
Has anyone ever told you that you look just like me?

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say it, what were you thinking? "Locked in your glovebox" means absolutely nothing. Glove boxes are not intended to secure a weapon. This is no excuse for the thief but frankly you're insane to leave a weapon in your car and yes I am judging.
You're entitled to your opinion on my level of sanity, but this has largely been a non-issue for me as I have a general level of trust for the dealerships or shops I've chosen. I've done this over the years in different vehicles, having stayed overnight at the dealerships/shops ranging from Honda & Hyundai to Audi.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You're entitled to your opinion on my level of sanity, but this has largely been a non-issue for me as I have a general level of trust for the dealerships or shops I've chosen. I've done this over the years in different vehicles, having stayed overnight at the dealerships/shops ranging from Honda & Hyundai to Audi.
The fact you've never had a problem before means you've been lucky. Every dealership has a sign that states they are not responsible for items left ( personal) in the car and usually it's a boilerplate statement in your estimate for services. So feel free to put your wallet, jewels and apparently firearm in your glove box and lock it because we know they are like a portable Fort Knox. There was a discussion about this in a recent NRA monthly and the writer who is on the National Board made it clear under no circumstances should you leave a weapon in your car for any length of time, let alone while your car is being serviced!

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I understand your frustration but I must observe that the dealership is likely just as frustrated if not more so. The last thing they want to happen is to have a good customer lose trust in them. I have dry cleaning stores and from time to time someone will ask us for money or other valuables that they left, or think they left, in a pocket. It is a tough situation. No matter how honest the staff is, they are under suspicion. No one knows which one to suspect and everybody loses. On the other hand all the times that the $100. bills and the mont blanc pens were returned go by and nobody even remembers. Same with all the times you left a firearm in your car and it was not taken. There is no point in tempting fate. Valuables -- for heavens sake, firearms, should not be left in a car while it is being serviced.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The last thing they want to happen is to have a good customer lose trust in them.
No, the last thing they want is a news story where an employee took a gun out of a customer car then shot somebody with it.

But seriously, mcgavin... absolutely mindblowing choices.

You know, I know, we all know... that we DO NOT LIVE in a perfect world. Why even chance it?

You have a DUTY to be a responsible owner, and in my opinion, you failed.

Best of luck recovering your firearm, and that it happens without incident.

Sigh.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am a gun owner and I support the right of gun ownership for personal protection, with common sense restrictions. In most of the states, if not all, it is not legal to leave your firearm in an unattended car. Locked or not. There are unlimited possibilities of what can go wrong if your firearm is taken, all of which have the potential for loss of life. A locked glove compartment can easily be opened and or your car can be stolen, even from a dealership.Your actions were totally irresponsible, and as reported, should result in your license being revoked.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad we have such a judgmental group here, thanks for all the pro tips, especially since being a gun owner entitles you to a holier than thou attitude. By all means I guess I probably shouldn't even trust a dealer or any shop to even work on my car. Hell they might put sugar in the tank or something else unethical while no one's looking. May you never have anything bad happen to you, bless your hearts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm glad we have such a judgmental group here, thanks for all the pro tips, especially since being a gun owner entitles you to a holier than thou attitude. By all means I guess I probably shouldn't even trust a dealer or any shop to even work on my car. Hell they might put sugar in the tank or something else unethical while no one's looking. May you never have anything bad happen to you, bless your hearts.
Actually sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline so it wont harm the car. jk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What a coincidence. I once had the flowers stolen from the barrel of my tank. It turns out that the flowers were used to brighten someone's day. It cost me $5,000 in legal fees to clean it all up, and I had to issue a formal apology to the victim.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
What's interesting to me is the Corvette forum has a post about where to keep your gun in the car with you.It's amazing how many People Who own Corvettes have a gun in their car. I guess the message is don't mess with an owner of a Corvette.carl

·
Registered
734 Posts
Different times we live in. I bet plenty of people in the Midwest still leave their guns in their cars and never have a problem. Atlanta sure isn't the same place it used to be.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm Canadian and have lived in the U.S. for almost five years, for the life of me I don't get the infatuation with guns. Evidently some crack addict may kick down your door to take everything you own and kill you in the process because they have a gun.. okay, keep something by your bedside I guess. In your glovebox??? What is that about?

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's All about the right to bear arms thing. Personally the last gun I shot was an M-16 in 1972. I've never owned a gun. Although where I grew up in the Inner city of Milwaukee a flack vest would have been be a good idea.carl

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.