Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Cayman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished a weekend of installation and setup of a set of H&R Sport lowering springs on my 2007 Cayman, and felt compelled to share the results. I am SO HAPPY with how they turned out, and after a more aggressive alignment they feel unbelievable compared to stock.

With almost 113k miles, my Cayman still felt solid and comfy, but since most of my driving is in the canyons I was hungry for a little bit of improvement since the body roll and understeer in corners was noticeable, and the wheel gap left a little to be desired. On a bit of a budget, I opted to go for springs alone on stock shocks despite the risks of the shocks giving up the ghost sometime soon. I figured I would replace them if they end up going, and save the costs in the meantime.

Installation took a full day from 8am until 6pm with the help of an experienced friend - this included a garage alignment with a camber gauge and toe plates. We didn't adjust caster.

Ride quality on these springs absolutely exceeded expectations. Blew away expectations. I was concerned about harshness compared to the more docile stock setup, but was happy to find more firmness and planted feel without any jarring or aggressiveness whatsoever. I feel more useful information through the car - steering feels more direct, I feel more connection to the road, which translates to more confidence and enjoyment. Dare I say, they are more comfortable than stock, certainly sportier than stock, which is what appealed to me - it's like wearing proper sticky track shoes rather than cushy walking shoes. It's comfortable, AND planted. There are even fewer interior rattles and vibrations through my car than before - could be from reinstalling all of the interior trim with patience and tightening everything down, but the car definitely feels more solid and quieter than before. By quite a bit! It's a game changer. I'm loving it.

After a couple days of normal city driving I hit the canyons, and the more aggressive setup was immediately apparent and is a no-brainer for anyone driving canyons or even light track. Cornering is night and day better, faster, more confident, and so much more fun. I also feel safer with all the added grip.

For less than $500 it feels like a new car. If you've been on the fence about this mod, in my experience it is very well worth it.

Here are the alignment specs before the springs:

Front
Camber: -.35 deg left, -.75 deg right
Toe: 2mm total toe in

Rear:
Camber: -1.75 deg left, -1.75 deg right
Toe: 3mm total toe in

Alignment specs after:
Front:
Camber: -1.35 deg left, -1.40 deg right
Toe: 1mm total toe out

Rear:
Camber: -1.90 deg left, -1.90 deg right
Toe: 2mm total toe in

Ride height before (center of hub to wheel well lip):
14 7/8" Front
15" Rear

Ride height after (center of hub to wheel well lip):
13 3/4" Front (1 1/8" drop)
14" Rear (1" drop)

Photos before:

Photos after:

After 2 years of owning the car it is like day one all over again. I can't wait for my next drive.

Hopefully this helps if you're looking for real world info on the mod. Hit me with questions if you're curious about any further detail.

-Brandon

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am trying to make a decision on st x coilovers or maybe bilstein springs or hr springs.sounds like you are very happy with the set up.love to see the pics.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have the H&R springs in my trunk, scheduled for my shop to put them on next week. Glad to hear you love them. Do you have any other suspension mods/are the struts the original struts? I think your pictures are broken, I can't see them.

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Cayman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the H&R springs in my trunk, scheduled for my shop to put them on next week. Glad to hear you love them. Do you have any other suspension mods/are the struts the original struts? I think your pictures are broken, I can't see them.
Sorry about the photos - those should be fixed now!
As I mentioned the struts are stock - all other suspension components are stock as well except for 7/15mm wheel spacers and track studs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks good, probably what I’ll end up with. Just out of interest, how was the install? Is it as straightforward as other cars or is there more to it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks good, probably what I’ll end up with. Just out of interest, how was the install? Is it as straightforward as other cars or is there more to it?
not OP but from research it seems the fronts should be pretty straight forward but the backs involved taking apart a good bit of the interior to get to

·
Registered
2007 Porsche Cayman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not OP but from research it seems the fronts should be pretty straight forward but the backs involved taking apart a good bit of the interior to get to
Correct - the fronts are easier than the rear, but not by much - the rear trim that is hiding the strut top nuts is pretty straightforward to remove if you take your time, and was most certainly one of the easier parts of the job as a whole. I did the de-trimming the day before so I could go slow and focus on not breaking any clips.
Basically the lower control arms and pitchfork arms need to be removed and the top strut nut removed and the whole hub carrier can be lowered with a jack, which decompresses the spring. Just reassemble in reverse and bolt everything back up (this is oversimplified, but that's the idea). Take your time, clean components as you go, know your torque specs, and most importantly, don't skimp on alignment. 10 hours flies by when you're being extra careful, especially during reassembly.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, done several cars before and they're usually pretty straightforward - just wanted to check there wasn't something I couldn't tackle. It's probably a job I'll do in the garage over the winter so I can take my time

·
Registered
2007 Boxster S Meteor Gray
14 Posts
I just got by 07 BS back from the dealership where i had them install the HR springs. I highly recommend them! The car looks as it should now (along with 5mm spacers all around). The stance is flat where as prior the rear seemed to be a touch higher than the front. The wheel arches now look balanced and the wheels fill them out. The handling and cornering seems better too but I realize that is subjective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks great! You're like the Cayman clone of my Boxster. Same wheels, color and spacers! Your photos seal the deal on the springs for myself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks great I have read that high speed driving doesn’t feel as stable with lowery springs.what is your experience

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I have had the springs installed I have sped up to some high speeds (>>> 85mph) and have not noticed any stability issues. But, these were brief moments where the interstate is clear and I know the terrain. I do think the car feels more stable when cornering. In the past when pushing it I would feel what I felt like wheel hop (?). Maybe it was the PSM kicking in? So far I am happy. The car looks like a sports car to me now where as before it looked great but I just didn't like the rear high stance. I am going to be taking part in my first PCA Autocross in 2 weeks (Western Michigan Chapter) so I guess I will learn some more there on how the car handles. My impressions are biased-flavored by having only driven vintage 911s, 914sand 356s before having the Boxster. The handling of the Boxster is like nothing I have ever driven to this point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
as i look at roosty pictures and the op pictures,the cayman looks like its lower lot more.i know the op had more than 100k miles,how many miles did roosty boxster have ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car just passed the 27,000 mile mark. I have put 4,000 miles on it since I bought it the end of May 2020.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts