Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there's info on both out there; but I searched and didn't find a direct comparison thread so hopefully this isn't redundant.

I initially had H&R sport springs installed maybe 6 months ago. Compared to stock, they were noticeably more harsh. Over smooth roads they were perfect, but over poor roads (after the winter roads freeze up and crack here) the harshness showed itself. It was nowhere near uncomfortable, but the car bounced and slammed over bumps and potholes more than it did stock. I also thought the H&R springs dropped the car too much. I scraped speedbumps and driveway inclines at anything over a crawl. It was easy enough to modify my habits and I very rarely scraped, but still...very low. If you want springs that virtually eliminate wheel gap and don't mind the drawbacks, H&R is the way to go.

This past week I had the H&Rs taken off and replaced with the x73. The difference is dramatic in both look and feel. I didn't measure (should have) but the car initially appeared to sit almost 3/4" higher with x73. It seems to have settled some, but the x73 springs still sit about 1/2" higher. To me, it's the perfect height for a DD. Low enough to look aggressive, but not too low to where it becomes a nuisance and looks clearly aftermarket. I'm sure others with x73 agree it's perfect. I also found the car is quite a bit less harsh with x73 vs H&R springs. It feels firmer than stock, but surprisingly compliant over bumps and dips. I feel much less bouncing. I know that's partially attributed to the fact that the H&R springs were not properly matched with the stock suspension.

Overall I feel like the H&R springs were a great value and offered a near-stock feel for anyone that likes the aftermarket LOW look. Just be aware that they're more bouncy and unsettled over poor roads. The x73 is amazing, and I will order every Porsche going forward with Sport Suspension. My car feels more planted and firm, while offering a very comfortable ride even on bad roads.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for this post. I'm sure it will help many make a decision. I'm hoping to swing the x73 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also worth noting.. I had it done at a local highly regarded track shop that specializes in european cars and the labor cost was 1/3 of the Porsche dealer quote. Everything turned out perfect.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Planning to upgrade standard suspension to x73, but maybe not. The ride is comfortable and body roll isn't a problem unless you are doing something like auto cross. I'd hate to upgrade to lose the ride comfort...got in my TDI with sports suspension with dry rotted tires reminded me how a jarring ride feels...

People need (or should) understand there is a compromise in ride quality and body roll control. There is a reason the standard suspension is the way it is...good enough chassis control and comfortable enough to not be exhausting. Excellent for daily driving. Firmer than PASM in normal mode, but looser than x73. There is a fine balance in what is excessively firm and just right...my understand is x73 hits both marks after breaking in.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Curious on the install cost...lowest I have seen is 900 for labor.
It was around $600 labor + parts (ordered through porsche), but I didn't do the sway bars and I'm a repeat customer. Was quoted like $1700-1800 + parts from the dealer. Both including alignment. Install and alignment took about 5 hours...they had my car a total of 5.5, so I'm estimating.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I changed from standard to x73 last spring and love the change. It is not harsh at all.

I have a little story. For those looking for the next great modification, let me tell you a comment I received from Randy Pobst.

Randy was in central Florida a few months ago for some races and came to visit the Martin Sports Car Club auto cross where he learned his craft as a member in the late1980s. After several runs, I was amazed how fast his time was in a borrowed modified Civic--even though it looked unremarkable from a distance. He smoked the field of cars that were much faster on paper.

Later, I approached Randy and praised his ability and how it taught me a few things about proper line, gear selection and smoothness. He asked me which car I drove and I said, "#91 Cayman S". He said he remembered my car and graciously complemented my driving :))), but more importantly, told me how he loved the Cayman and not to alter the factory set up. He went on about how too many people modify and diminish the car's capability.

I will never forget what Randy said and will keep my car stock except competition brake fluid and pads for track duty. Investing to improve my driving skills is the best modification and more rewarding.

·
Registered
727 Posts
H&R can be that way with their progressive springs. I have a Macan and the only game in town to lower the car early on was H&R. Car looks great and is lowered just right, but the ride is way too bouncy because of the back springs. The progressive coils just collapse on each other and only leave a height about half what the original springs were with active coils under partial compression. About 25-30% is just 3 complete windings compressed on each other with no play in them. Now why is that, it doesn't help the cars ride. On bumpy roads the car bounces too much just like your Cayman. It is a fault in their design. Nobody uses progressively wound spring on a stock or even sport suspension from the factory.

Glad you got your X73. Would have gotten on my car, but was not available in 2013. Still very with PASM though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts