Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, i bought a new leather center trip piece for my Cayman for $317 USD. After finding out that the remaining pieces were going to cost $1200, I was having second thoughts about spending that much on trim pieces. Today i went to a local place in the Denver area and had them wrap the pieces in a carbon fiber wrap. i am thrilled with the outcome and it cost $100. here are the before and afters:
Car Vehicle Center console Family car Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Family car Porsche cayenne

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, i bought a new leather center trip piece for my Cayman for $317 USD. After finding out that the remaining pieces were going to cost $1200, I was having second thoughts about spending that much on trim pieces. Today i went to a local place in the Denver area and had them wrap the pieces in a carbon fiber wrap. i am thrilled with the outcome and it cost $100. here are the before and afters:
View attachment 154074 View attachment 154082
Looks good, and although it is not quite the same as factory unless you point it out, nobody would notice the difference!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Looks great, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
They can notice the difference all they want lol, its the $1100 difference I care about :) But in all seriousness, I wouldn't know the difference. Now i wish i would have just wrapped the center too.
That looks like 3M DI-NOC CF vinyl wrap. If so, its very easy to work with even as a novice. A little heat from a hair dryer and it will easily stretch right over any contour like latex then just trim the excess and tuck it to the back of the part. You could easily wrap the center console part yourself if you decide to to, and you can get DI-NOC on Amazon or many other online retailers from very small sheets for small jobs to large quantity rolls, so should be less than $20 to do just the console. There are lots of videos on YT showing how to use it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO90yBCfysc

·
Registered
268 Posts
<snips>Today i went to a local place in the Denver area and had them wrap the pieces in a carbon fiber wrap. i am thrilled with the outcome and it cost $100.
Thanks for the update. While I'm not generally a fan of the carbon fibre look, those pieces appear excellent. If the trim bothers me--my car is now in the south Pacific (sitting at Auckland, soon to be in Melbourne and then trucked to Adelaide)--wrapping is a real option. With the multiple levels of tax here on luxury cars(!) the Porsche options are VERY pricey.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Just a note: that is not 3M Di-noc, but more likely 3M 1080 CF, or one of the many similar CF vinyl alternatives. It is way too shiny for Di-noc. I would suggest 1080...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm thinking of wrapping my trim. Does anyone know how to remove the cupholder? I read that you just yank it out, but I'm hesitant to do that without confirmation. It looks like it would be the same process on the 981 as the 718.

TIA

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think my guy had to remove the cup holder to wrap it. He just wrapped in place. Im sure you could get a cleaner look by removing, but its not required. And since i paid around $100 bucks for the job, maybe not worth doing yourself if you are having doubts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was thinking of replacing all the trims with brushed black aluminum until I realized you can not change the door trims. Is this correct or am I missing anything? If I would have known before ordering, I would have ordered as part of the options as it replaces all trims (doors included). Hopefully I’m wrong...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don’t think you can remove the door trim. I think you can wrap it tho.

In response to earlier posts about having the wrap done professionally. I received estimates in the hundreds of dollars. I did it myself and it looks pretty good. I just redid the the cup holder center piece. I broke most of the tabs, but it’s also held on with 3M double sided tape.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was thinking of replacing all the trims with brushed black aluminum until I realized you can not change the door trims. Is this correct or am I missing anything? If I would have known before ordering, I would have ordered as part of the options as it replaces all trims (doors included). Hopefully I’m wrong...

I think they actually sell an approximation of that finish as a wrap. I’m considering it myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
# I think they actually sell an approximation of that finish as a wrap. I’m considering it myself... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
I used this and I think they make a black that would be similar to the Black brushed Aluminum: 3M 1080 BR201 BRUSHED STEEL Vinyl Flex Wrap

Reactions: Marc718

·
Registered
145 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?clien...XAhUm64MKHa2dDz0QsKwBCHMoAjAQ&biw=320&bih=525

take a look

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love the finish, but don’t think I’ll be able to pull it, thus was wondering if Larry had someone do it for him. If anyone has done this in NJ and has recommendations please post. Thanks!!!

Me neither, however I am thinking of ordering it and then have someone install it. Btw I live in S. Jersey so if I find someone I will let you know

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did it myself with no prior experience. I bought a $30 heat gun from Amazon and the wrap was about $45. It was not really that hard. Just realize that the wrap is directional with the grain running along the length rather than width. You’ll have a great sense of accomplishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did it myself with no prior experience. I bought a $30 heat gun from Amazon and the wrap was about $45. It was not really that hard. Just realize that the wrap is directional with the grain running along the length rather than width. It’s not that hard and try it. You’ll have a great sense of accomplishment.
Thanks Larry, were you able to do the steering wheel too? The straight parts look achievable but anything with that sort of detail has me a little concerned..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.