Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I installed ST Suspension / KW V1 coilovers on my 987.2. The install itself took a while but went well, sans for stripping one of the 8mm hex bolts that holds my passenger-side half shaft into the transmission. Do you guys have any recommendations on getting this bolt out? Omw home, the coilover bracket holding my endlink snapped, and my coilover slammed onto my axle. I'm going to try to get KW to ship me a new one but in order to do that, I'm going to probably have to ship this one back to them to get it inspected first. The half shaft has to be removed in order to have enough clearance to remove the strut. I'm going to try removing the axle from the hub as opposed to the transmission in order to get the strut out. But I still need to replace the axle as I am sure it is damaged - and for that I need to remove the bolt.

Here is a picture of the bolt, circled in yellow. Again, it takes an 8mm hex.

Things that I've tried:
-Using an 8mm ball joint hex (not catching)
-Torx T50 (not catching)
-Hammering a 9mm hex onto the bolt (too big)
-Drilling into the bolt and using an easy out, but I'm not having luck making a hole, even with high speed bits.

Also, if anyone recommends a particular vendor / site for picking up another half shaft, please mention below. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but the space is extremely narrow and I don't think I can use a female easy-out either because of how close the bolt is to the clam that goes around the boot, but may give that a shot tonight. Someone on another board suggested a cold chisel. Will try that as well

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,846 Posts
This weekend, I installed ST Suspension / KW V1 coilovers on my 987.2. The install itself took a while but went well, sans for stripping one of the 8mm hex bolts that holds my passenger-side half shaft into the transmission. Do you guys have any recommendations on getting this bolt out? Omw home, the coilover bracket holding my endlink snapped, and my coilover slammed onto my axle. I'm going to try to get KW to ship me a new one but in order to do that, I'm going to probably have to ship this one back to them to get it inspected first. The half shaft has to be removed in order to have enough clearance to remove the strut. I'm going to try removing the axle from the hub as opposed to the transmission in order to get the strut out. But I still need to replace the axle as I am sure it is damaged - and for that I need to remove the bolt.

Here is a picture of the bolt, circled in yellow. Again, it takes an 8mm hex.

Things that I've tried:
-Using an 8mm ball joint hex (not catching)
-Torx T50 (not catching)
-Hammering a 9mm hex onto the bolt (too big)
-Drilling into the bolt and using an easy out, but I'm not having luck making a hole, even with high speed bits.

Also, if anyone recommends a particular vendor / site for picking up another half shaft, please mention below. Any help is much appreciated!
Have you tried to force-fit a 12-point socket tightly around the outside diameter of the bolt's circular knurled head?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should be able turn the axle to a position where you have enough space to grab the bolt with good old Vise Grips, no?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried to force-fit a 12-point socket tightly around the outside diameter of the bolt's circular knurled head?

Yes - similar concept to the female easy outs. Tried this last night. The clamp that holds the inner boot is too close to the bolt so I can't get a socket completely around the head.

You should be able turn the axle to a position where you have enough space to grab the bolt with good old Vise Grips, no?
The space is pretty narrow but someone else says they were able to get vise grips in there somehow... Will give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

Pictures of damaged axle and other components?

Broken Bracket

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I've never removed the axle so forgive me if this is crazy. Could you drill-out the stripped head enough to chisel it off? Then, when the flange is off, use vise grips to remove the stud portion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless there is physical damage to the axle, you should be able to replace only the torn boot; a LOT cheaper than the complete axle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless there is physical damage to the axle, you should be able to replace only the torn boot; a LOT cheaper than the complete axle.
Good luck.
Wow, was thinking I could find a remanufactured one for $100 - $200 but that is not the case. Just looked.

I've never removed the axle so forgive me if this is crazy. Could you drill-out the stripped head enough to chisel it off? Then, when the flange is off, use vise grips to remove the stud portion.
Will try this as one of my last resort options.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Have you considered using a Dremel to cut a slot in the bolt head socket walls and then use a large flat blade to back that joker out?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,846 Posts
Any updates? Please don't leave us hanging!

Reactions: 3G3T7I
1 - 14 of 14 Posts