Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed in the pics that there is no hand brake.

I did some research and it seems that cars are now being fitted with an electronic hand brake or "E Brake". So my question is then, how does one do hill starts without one in a manual? And what options are available for emergency cable run/non hydraulics based braking?

There has to be something figured out my Porsche I would hope? My Audi still had one!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The cars have hill hold assist. If you are stopped on an incline and release the brake the car continues to hold until you apply gas (on my PDK). It may work slightly differently on a manual.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Firstly, you shouldn't need a hand brake to get started on a hill. This is a great trick for beginners to help them gain confidence while they're learning, but if that's simply become your way of starting on hills then I highly encourage you to learn to do without and manage the clutch and throttle better. If it's simply something nobody ever taught you how to do and you didn't realize it was a thing, find a more knowledgeable driver to show you the ropes. It's never too late to add to your skill set.

In the meantime though... as mentioned... this particular car makes it a moot point as it will hold itself on a hill for you. :)

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yes, there is a e-brake in 981 and it sucks big time. It's a small button hidden out of view where the most car would have hood release lever. On top of that it's counter intuitive - push to engage, and pull to release. It's suppose to do hill assist, where it would sense the hill and engage automatically and the disengage by itself when car starts moving. But that also doesn't work on many 981s. On mine hill need to be very severe, like 20 deg for it to engage.

All that said, it's pretty easy to live with. Just forget about it - park in gear (unless you live in SF) and practice your manual hill start a few times and you all set...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I have a GT4 with the ebrake, and it's not as a big a problem in practice as it seemed when I thought about it. (My previous GTS had PDK, so no worries about starting on an incline.)
The ebrake will hold the car on an incline ("hill hold") but it has to be pretty reasonable slope. You don't have to engage anything to get hill hold to work.
But IF you apply the ebrake by pushing the lever down to the left of the steering wheel (as someone said, where the hood release is on other cars), and then take off from a stop the ebrake will automatically disengage! It's actually pretty neat, as it acts like a handbrake start, but you don't do anything yourself. It won't do this in reverse, of course (it will prevent you from moving off in reverse.)

I can live with it. I'd still like a handbrake, coz I'm old school, but the ebrake is OK.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Unlike a lot of people, I like the Hill Hold function . . . but there are a lot of hills around my house. The Hill Hold functions in cars with straight drive or PDK.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Unlike a lot of people, I like the Hill Hold function . . . but there are a lot of hills around my house. The Hill Hold functions in cars with straight drive or PDK.

I like the idea of the hill hold. I just don't think it's very well implemented on the 981. I find it works better on my Wrangler.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The hill hold function works ok. It is clumsier than using the handbrake – I’m not sure I’d trust it to parallel-park in a tight spot on a hill, but for simply starting on a hill in traffic, it is fine.

The handbrake actuation itself is assinine. The lever doesn’t “stick” like a normal handbrake, which means that just by looking at the position of the lever, you cannot tell if the handbrake is on or not. You have to look at the light in the dashboard. And that turns itself off under certain conditions that I have not yet figured out. Which means that about 50% of the time, I pull the lever twice – once to actually activate the handbrake, and once again to second-guess it when I see the light isn’t on...

This definitely falls into the category of Porsche making something worse that worked perfectly fine before they got their hands on it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Firstly, you shouldn't need a hand brake to get started on a hill. This is a great trick for beginners to help them gain confidence while they're learning, but if that's simply become your way of starting on hills then I highly encourage you to learn to do without and manage the clutch and throttle better. If it's simply something nobody ever taught you how to do and you didn't realize it was a thing, find a more knowledgeable driver to show you the ropes. It's never too late to add to your skill set.
I felt the same way prior to moving to SF. Then I realized, with cars 1 foot off my rear bumper on a 30 degree hill that I was going to have to figure out an e-brake hill start. I'd say most minor hills its easy to 'just do it', but there are hills steep enough and confines tight enough that the e-brake hill start is the only way to avoid rolling back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
All of my Porsches have have had hill hold. My '59 convertble D, my 58 Sunroof coupe, My 67 912 and my 07 987 Cayman.

It's called Rink and it has never failed.

Rink

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
99% of the time it is not needed. If you know your car, your clutch and some stuff that Newton wrote about - all is cool. However as mentioned there are times where the hill is step, there is a combination of an immediate turn, speed bump or some other stupid thing (or car) and you need to do something a bit out there that is so much easier with a hand brake....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts