Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just traded my 2003 Mercedes E55 AMG last week for a 2006 CPO Cayman S.

The E55 was a beast. Mercedes rated peak power at 469bhp and torque at 516lb-ft. My car was even stronger, running an aftermarket crank pulley with ECU tune (supercharger boost of 13.5psi vs. stock 10.0psi) and cooling mods. While the straightline firepower was very entertaining, I started to miss the sports car driving experience after a few months of ownership. The big AMG just didn't enjoy being hustled around corners, and didn't inspire spirited driving along twisty roads.

On the Cayman S test drive, it was the steering that sold me. It had the right level of heft and fantastic tactility. I did not push the handling envelope during the drive, but even at modest speed, the Cayman S felt like a precision tool. I also really enjoyed the wonderful soundtrack and the satisfying manual shift action.

Having driven the supercharged Merc for the past 18 months, my internal accelerometer was calibrated such that the full throttle pulls to redline in second and third gears during the test drive seemed to produce only moderate acceleration. But I didn't care.

At the end of the test drive, I didn't want to get back into the E55 and say goodbye to the Cayman S. So I said goodbye to the E55 and hello to Cayman S ownership. I'm looking forward to enjoying this car for a long time.

My old E55:

My new to me Cayman S:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new SPORTS car.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Congrats and Welcome! :cheers: Thanks for posting the pic - love the Seal Gray . . . ;)

If you are new to Porsche ownership, be sure and read through the Owner's Manual as well as the FAQ on this site - Porsche's have a lot of little idiosyncrasies. You will find just about everything you want to know about a Cayman on Planet-9, so spend sometime looking around (Articles, Files, etc).

I envy you being able to enjoy the Cayman on some of those Colorado mountain roads.

·
Registered
380 Posts
+1 on the Seal Grey. But then I am biased.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You went from one beautiful car to another. Each who have their own special abilities. I think you will find the handling of this car is equal, or slightly better, to the straight line acceleration of your E55 AMG.

I call cars like the E55, Highway Warriors. That car must have been a blast for Long fast Highway drives. :burnout:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts