Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update:
I've hard-wired my Valentine One, and have some helpful tips for those who might be interested in doing the same.

The most convenient mounting place for me was directly in my line of sight, near the driver's side visor:

I ran the power wire up under the headliner, and down the passenger-side A-pillar.

This is the easiest item available to make the wiring dead-simple. Add-A-Circuit, available at AutoZone for about 6 dollars:

I used my multimeter to test each circuit in the passenger-side footwell, to find one that was powered with the key in the "on" position.
You want spot #D7.

Here it is with the Add-a-Circuit in D7:

Summary: Excellent. Now I do not need to manually turn-on/off the V1, and it is all done in sync with the ignition key.

Note: If you use Auto Stop/Start, the V1 will power-cycle when the engine restarts. Not an issue for me, because I do not use Stop/Start. But worth mentioning for those that do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice job !!

I mounted my V1 on the silver bar behind the drivers seat using Velcro tape. I use the armrest power source and have the remote display mounted to the steering column.

This setup works well for me.

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, Nice!
I did something similar, but I used the V1 SAVVY module to connect to the OBDII plug (the SAVVY module mutes the alerts at low speeds).
Doing it this way address the issue of the start/stop, although it does turn on/off whenever you lock the doors.

Savvy | Valentine One | Radar Detectors

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, Nice!
I did something similar, but I used the V1 SAVVY module to connect to the OBDII plug (the SAVVY module mutes the alerts at low speeds).
Doing it this way address the issue of the start/stop, although it does turn on/off whenever you lock the doors.

Savvy | Valentine One | Radar Detectors
Were you able to close the cover on the fusebox while the SAVVY was plugged-in to the OBDII port? That was one concern that I had when I considered it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Form. Was wondering which circuit to plug into, now I don't need to get out the multi-meter. #D7 it is.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
253 Posts
Note: If you use Auto Stop/Start, the V1 will power-cycle when the engine restarts. Not an issue for me, because I do not use Stop/Start. But worth mentioning for those that do.
I don't use Auto-SS either, but the power recycling behavior bugged me. It is simply solved by installing the "Brown-Out Booster" (BoB) from Valentine in line with the Direct Wire Power Adapter. No really "needed", but it does work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't use Auto-SS either, but the power recycling behavior bugged me. It is simply solved by installing the "Brown-Out Booster" (BoB) from Valentine in line with the Direct Wire Power Adapter. No really "needed", but it does work.
You're right, their brown-out booster would solve this problem, but since I never use the auto stop/start system, it wasn't worth it to get one.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I installed my V1 last weekend, and wanted to both thank Formisano for the helpful post, and note that my passenger side fuse box looks different to the one shown. I have a pretty "basic" GTS, and the bottom row had 3 open slots, all switched. Pick any one to wire the Valentine to, and you'll be good (although I would recommend testing before you close it all up.) BTW, the open slot in the row above the bottom one is an unswitched 12v supply.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed my V1 last weekend, and wanted to both thank Formisano for the helpful post, and note that my passenger side fuse box looks different to the one shown. I have a pretty "basic" GTS, and the bottom row had 3 open slots, all switched. Pick any one to wire the Valentine to, and you'll be good (although I would recommend testing before you close it all up.) BTW, the open slot in the row above the bottom one is an unswitched 12v supply.
Glad this info was helpful to someone! A lot better than running a cord to one of the 12v outlets, that's for sure!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad this info was helpful to someone! A lot better than running a cord to one of the 12v outlets, that's for sure!
(first post on this forum...Hi!!)

I just bought a 2015 Cayman and going to hardwire a Valentine V1 in it this week. I have done this on another vehicle in the past, but pulling panels on this car makes me a bit nervous. I plan to use the Add-a-Circuit as Formisano suggested and will route the wires similarly. I am going to try the Blendmount, but if I don't like that I will go to the suction cups to the left of the mirror.

My questions: Did you have to pull off the panel that surrounds the fuse panel? If so, is there a way to do it without breaking anything? Where did you run your ground wire to? Will the fuse panel shut OK with the Add-a-Circuit plugged in? I ordered a Brown Out Buster from Valentine also so the V1 won't restart with Auto Restarts of the car. Does the Brown Out Buster have to be installed on a particular end of the long power cable? i.e. Can it be hidden under the foot panel, or does it have to be on the end near the V1 unit? Any other installation tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks -

Reactions: formisano

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(first post on this forum...Hi!!)

I just bought a 2015 Cayman and going to hardwire a Valentine V1 in it this week. I have done this on another vehicle in the past, but pulling panels on this car makes me a bit nervous. I plan to use the Add-a-Circuit as Formisano suggested and will route the wires similarly. I am going to try the Blendmount, but if I don't like that I will go to the suction cups to the left of the mirror.

My questions: Did you have to pull off the panel that surrounds the fuse panel? If so, is there a way to do it without breaking anything? Where did you run your ground wire to? Will the fuse panel shut OK with the Add-a-Circuit plugged in? I ordered a Brown Out Buster from Valentine also so the V1 won't restart with Auto Restarts of the car. Does the Brown Out Buster have to be installed on a particular end of the long power cable? i.e. Can it be hidden under the foot panel, or does it have to be on the end near the V1 unit? Any other installation tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks -
Welcome to the forum!
I'll try to answer your questions:

Did you have to pull off the panel that surrounds the fuse panel? If so, is there a way to do it without breaking anything? Yes and Yes. Go slow and be gentle. After you release the tabs that hold the panel in, the panel needs to be pulled towards the direction of the back of the car (as opposed to pulling the panel towards the footwell or center console).

Where did you run your ground wire to? I found a bolt that was metal. Tested it as a ground first.

Will the fuse panel shut OK with the Add-a-Circuit plugged in? Yes. I thought it would have been tight, but it was perfect. No issues.

I ordered a Brown Out Buster from Valentine also so the V1 won't restart with Auto Restarts of the car. Does the Brown Out Buster have to be installed on a particular end of the long power cable? i.e. Can it be hidden under the foot panel, or does it have to be on the end near the V1 unit? I am not sure about this one, as I did not feel it was necessary to use the Brown Out Buster.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Does the Brown Out Buster have to be installed on a particular end of the long power cable? i.e. Can it be hidden under the foot panel, or does it have to be on the end near the V1 unit?
I installed a V1 and a Brown Out Buster in my '14 Cayman. The Brown Out Buster will fit in the space behind the carpeted kick panel at the fuse box and that is the best place for it.

Another option for mounting the V1 is use the metal visor mounting clip that came with the V1. I scarificed mine by bending and cutting the rounded end of the clip to a narrow point and forced it up under the headliner being careful not to scratch the windshield. This method of mounting moves the V1 up about 1/2" and back towards the driver where the tip of the red up arrow is against and centered on the cars grey visor clip's moulding. The big negative for this mounting method is the visor won't be as fuctional because it will hit the V1 before it is completely pushed forward. I was a little concerned that over time the suction cups might come loose and the suction cups also make the V1 a little more visible from out side the car.

Reactions: Mach 2.05

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you to Formisano and the others who have posted on this topic. It greatly helped me to hardwire my Valentine V1 into my '15 Cayman. I thought I'd fill in a couple of my question areas with pics to help others in the future. I hardwired mine into the passenger side fuse box using the Add-a-Circuit as previously discussed. My fuse layout was slightly different due to different installed options. I tapped into D6, which was an open fuse location and checked good as a switched circuit by using a multimeter. With the Add-a-Circuit, remember to also buy a 5 amp fuse to put in it. I also bought a female connector to put on the Add-a-circuit to replace the round lead that comes with it. I just snipped the old one off and crimped the new one in place. This made the connection to the V1 power easier (you could also just use the vampire wire tap that comes with the V1 to tap onto the Add-a-circuit wire, I think).

Here's the foot panel, showing the connectors and the dreaded fragile plastic post so you can see how it's connected. You can reach around the back edge and feel the two Velcro attachments to help pop those off. I then very carefully pulled the panel toward the back of the car and slightly down. It was a slight counterclockwise rotation. I got the panel off without breaking the post (but it broke when reinstalling :-( )
IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

Here is the Add-a-Circuit and the fuse box:
IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2313.JPG

I pulled the carpet back just a little and found a bolt to ground to. There was another wire grounded there already, so I figured it'd be good.
IMG_2314.JPG

To be continued....

Reactions: gearFX

·
Registered
23 Posts
continued...

Here is everything as initially connected and prior to stowing wires:
IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2318.JPG

The Brown-Out-Booster is also connected. I tucked all of that up next to the fuse box and ran the wires under the headliner and down the A Pillar as previously discussed. I used a soft plastic spackle applicator to help push the wire under the headliner. I used the Blendmount mount to attach to the bottom of the rear view mirror. This location is better than I expected. It does not interfere at all with the view out the front, and eliminates the use of those annoying suction cups. Here is the finished installation:
IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2323.JPG

Putting the foot panel back on proved to be challenging, and the plastic post broke off. That doesn't seem to be much of an issue though.
Thanks again to those who have helped! Time to drive fast!

Reactions: MidLifeCrisis

·
Registered
234 Posts
continued...

Here is everything as initially connected and prior to stowing wires:
View attachment 59246 View attachment 59247

The Brown-Out-Booster is also connected. I tucked all of that up next to the fuse box and ran the wires under the headliner and down the A Pillar as previously discussed. I used a soft plastic spackle applicator to help push the wire under the headliner. I used the Blendmount mount to attach to the bottom of the rear view mirror. This location is better than I expected. It does not interfere at all with the view out the front, and eliminates the use of those annoying suction cups. Here is the finished installation:
View attachment 59248 View attachment 59249

Putting the foot panel back on proved to be challenging, and the plastic post broke off. That doesn't seem to be much of an issue though.
Thanks again to those who have helped! Time to drive fast!
Do you need to take anything apart to get the wire under the headliner?

·
Registered
474 Posts
".......and the plastic post broke off........"

Apparently this is the price of entry. I was less than pleased with this on my 1 day old car, but managed to get over it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
".......and the plastic post broke off........"

Apparently this is the price of entry. I was less than pleased with this on my 1 day old car, but managed to get over it!
Haha! Yep! I was SO happy when I took the panel off without the post breaking, and then the damn thing broke when I was putting it back on. 8-( I'm over it too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you need to take anything apart to get the wire under the headliner?
No. From the radar detector end, you can just start pushing the wire under the headliner. It is very easy in most places and a little tighter in other places (mainly in the transition to the A Pillar). Use a credit card or other plastic tool to help push the wire under the trim. WHen I got down to the bottom of the A Pillar, I ran it in the crease between the pillar and the dash and then pushed it into the space at the edge of the dash. I didn't have to go under the rubber door trim at all. That is the easiest part really. The hard part is taking off and replacing the foot side panel without breaking the plastic post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am getting ready to hardwire a Valentine 1 into my Cayman similar to what Formisano did. I plan to use the fuse block in the passenger's footwell for switched power. I would like to use only the phone cord and an add a fuse. My plan is to cut off the phone connector on one end of the cable supplied by Valentine, splice on the add a circuit and add a ground connector. I am trying to avoid using the additional " y" cable supplied by Valentine. Just looking for a little cleaner install. Has anybody done this? If so what wires in the phone cable did you use for ground and what for hot? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I am getting ready to hardwire a Valentine 1 into my Cayman similar to what Formisano did. I plan to use the fuse block in the passenger's footwell for switched power. I would like to use only the phone cord and an add a fuse. My plan is to cut off the phone connector on one end of the cable supplied by Valentine, splice on the add a circuit and add a ground connector. I am trying to avoid using the additional " y" cable supplied by Valentine. Just looking for a little cleaner install. Has anybody done this? If so what wires in the phone cable did you use for ground and what for hot? Any thoughts are appreciated.
I don't know if Valentine has ever published a pin out or not. Your best bet would be to trace out the wires to pins in the V1 wire in adapter and see which one is + etc using a DVM. Some of the flat phone cable can be a pain to separate out individual conductors.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts