Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here. In the meantime I replaced the Boxster S with a 996 GT3 so haven't kept up with the 981 developments. Miss my Boxster for back-roads fun, though, so have been looking into getting a 981(S) for mostly weekend drives and a few track days a year.

So what's the latest solution for putting harnesses in the 981 Boxster? Also, would the 996 GT3 Euro bucket seats fit in a 981 Boxster? (I know they fit in my 06 987 Boxster S).

Thx.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I think you could just use the roll bar hoops on the Boxster (directly or with a bar attached to them). I'm assuming tracking in a class that doesn't require anything other than stock safety equipment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think you could just use the roll bar hoops on the Boxster (directly or with a bar attached to them). I'm assuming tracking in a class that doesn't require anything other than stock safety equipment.
That's what I did with the 987 Boxster but the 981 hoops look more elaborate and hidden under plastic. Anyone tried this and could post pics?
Yes, this would be just for DE tracking (with buckets, harness, and HANS) -- not racing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no solutions that use the roll-hoops (and/or the oem roll-bar) as anchors for the harnesses? I almost can not believe that no one has come up with a proper bucket, harness, HANS solution for a 981 Boxster after two years in production. Does anyone take these cars to the track? :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I…………don't understand………. Why would you be tracking a Boxter when you have a GT3???
Good question. But what about the people who don't have a GT3? :)

CleanOutside02.jpg

Joking aside, would be nice to be able to take either (or both -- when the wife joins) to the track.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
our cayman prototype is comming out in two weeks.. I do not have a local 981 boster for the measurement.. would someone chime in ..

thanks
Lemon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So either no one uses harness + HANS or no one tracks these 981 Boxsters. Which one is it? Quite surprising, either way.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
So either no one uses harness + HANS or no one tracks these 981 Boxsters. Which one is it? Quite surprising, either way.
I went to a PCA DE just to check this out, and not a single person there had an answer, just stock belts.

DMC's website apparently doesn't work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to a PCA DE just to check this out, and not a single person there had an answer, just stock belts.

DMC's website apparently doesn't work.
What a shame. I love the look of the 981 boxsters but may go with a 987.2 (09+) boxster in the end. Only way to put a harness + HANS on a DFI engined boxster. Can't believe Porsche designed the 981 boxsters without thinking about ease of outfitting it with a harness + HANS. Your yellow 981 was close to what I had in mind, btw.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
What a shame. I love the look of the 981 boxsters but may go with a 987.2 (09+) boxster in the end. Only way to put a harness + HANS on a DFI engined boxster. Can't believe Porsche designed the 981 boxsters without thinking about ease of outfitting it with a harness + HANS. Your yellow 981 was close to what I had in mind, btw.
Racing yellow is indeed the fastest color :) I thought that BGB was also developing a harness for the 981.

·
Vendor
671 Posts
We have sold over a dozen 981 harness bars so far but they're for Caymans and NOT Boxster. If you want something for a Boxster you can either take your car to my fabricator in Arizona or bring it to me and we will custom fabricate you whatever you want and charge MSRP for whatever we make; i.e. find a way to get me your car and we will build you the prototype version and charge you the cost of the already made version.

Sorry... Most Boxster owners sell their cars and get a Cayman once they realize they're destined for track duty.

If you want something with real protection by the people who have been designing these things for real race use as opposed to something for belts, send us your car, PM me or email me.

Your GT3 buckets from the 996 would work with our existing 981 bar ONLY because the shoulder holes for the belts are larger. I have 2 customers running this config and I prefer those seats to the Cayman R buckets that have smaller shoulder openings. We are very safety conscious and we redesigned our 981 bar twice so that the horizontal cross bar for the belts keeps the safety angles for shoulder harnesses in spec. Adding 987.2 Cayman R buckets to a 981 is not my favorite thing or something i condone anymore; the new car has more cabin room, seating position has been lowered due to taller cockpit made possible by lower car height. If you put 987.2 buckets in a 981 you guys sit too low for my liking and level of comfort for safety! Try the 996 seats...I know some don't like the look but I prefer the dimensions. The bar was made with the intention of installing purpose built fiberglass racing/comp seats but I can't stop folks or blame them for like the OE look. Recaro - if you are listening, please make a safe OE looking seat that passes all FIA regulations AND looks like a factory seat!

Thanks!

John

P.S. Our 981 harness bar is one of our best selling products, it has full rearview visibility, installs in less than 2 hours and requires 15 min if interior plastic trimming. Shops all over the U.S. and the world seem to love them. I hope Lemon isn't planning on making the same exact thing and trying to compete with us?! Lemon - we need to be on the same page and not competing! The Cayman world is too small. we should try not to push stuff that already exists that others already make. we all last longer this way and it keeps it more of a group effort as opposed to a cutthroat exercise. Call me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi John,
I'm interested in bringing you my Boxster Spyder to fabricate/install a harness bar. Can you tell me how long that process would take? I live in Tampa, so would have to make a little road trip.

Thanks,
TD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump

Anyone have a shoulder harness bar solution for 981 Boxster S yet? The stock roll bar cross member is a touch high for my shoulders/seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Bill. I appreciate the reference. Unfortunately, the cross member in the Boxster is thicker and higher to account for the rollover protection. The BK shoulder harness mount won't work. It seems that there are even 2 pt shoulder harness bars for the 981 Cayman, but not for the Boxster. Was hoping to be able to find something off the shelf vs fabrication.

Any other input much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts