Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put out feelers to dealers within 300 miles of me. One calls me & says he just got what I was looking for (06 silver, well equipped & Certified). Says that there are a few chips on the nose & they are going to repaint it for me. I tell him to send me more info. He includes options list & 5 pics. Looks great. I set up the financing & head down there. After 250 miles one way I arrive. I am shuttled into the finance office. They want me to sign papers. I say that I want to look at & drive the car. We go outside to the car. There is a large (1-1/2 long by 1/4 wide) scratch on the B piller (side of the hatch near the fender) that has been touched up with a different color of paint. I tell him that the scratch has to be fixed before I buy the car. They say that it will cost extra to have it fixed. Got to looking the rest of the car over & noticed small scratches on almost every body panel. Long story short, that was a deal breaker. I gave them their keys back & left VERY disappointed.
I think the dealership led me to believe that there were no paint issues with the car other than the nose. I think they thought that since I drove so far I would not go back empty handed. They were wrong.

I guess what I would like to know is:
1. Can Porsche certify a car with major paint issues?
2. Do Porsche dealers have a responsibility to explain any quality issues
with me?
3. Are most dealerships more upfront & honest with customers?
4. Do most Porsche salesmen act like they are doing you a favor by letting
you buy their car?

I am purposely leaving the dealership's name out of this post until I speak with the general manager.
Did I mention, I'm very disappointed?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any car that was treated that badly has to have more problems than paint! I'd stay away!

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sucks! You probably should contact PCNA as well.

Every dealer is going to be different but the two I dealt with while searching and the one I ultimately bought my car from were nothing like that. The car I found ended up being a trade-in at a dealer about 150 miles away. They got me photos, full vehicle history, answered every question I had and even contacted the previous owner to get permission to give me his name and phone number. When I arrived to get the car, the salesman met me in the lot as I pulled in. The first thing he did was show me the car, let me fully inspect it, and then take it on a test drive. No pressure to hurry up or hide anything. He introduced me to the service manager and then I took care of the paperwork. There was never any attempt to sell me anything extra or hide anything.

So yea, there are good ones out there.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
I have to agree! You dodged a bullet there my friend.

I was in the Brussels dealership yesterday to get a sense of what Atlas Grey looks like (sort of blueish) - they had this pre-owned, Boxster S in Atlas Grey - the paint was a disaster. Scratches and swirl marks everywhere - from the rubbing marks on the nose, clearly a street parked, city car. And the top - covered with bird dropping marks. Street parked under a tree.

My reaction was the same as yours Superman - if he/she cared so little about the exterior - did they ever even bother to have the car serviced?

What amazed me was that they would have this car in the showroom - under bright lights....

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
There are problems with new & used cars. But seriously paint scratches on a 06 Porsche says something about the previous owner.

Is it just me, but all cars I have own I treat with the up most respect and try all reasonable attempts to have imperfections resolved as soon as they occur. Ok I'm a bit anal when it comes to these matters, but I would like to think I'm buying a car from someone who shares the same passion as I with cars.

·
Registered
329 Posts
3. Are most dealerships more upfront & honest with customers?
I'd think and hope so. In the long run, it will be a best business practice. Your situation might be function of the salesperson.

...I'm very disappointed?
With good cause. If you had the condition of the car in writing, you'd be in a position to ask for compensation for your wasted time.

While most used cars will have some paint wear and tear, some will not, and these can be described with a best effort. If you are not exaggerating, and I have no reason to think you are, then I applaud your self control on not going off...

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,
My thoughts exactly on possible mechanical issues. I want a car that was someone's baby not their pick up truck.

i'm going to contact the GM & let him know about my wasted time & effort. Maybe he'll see it my way & pay for my gas. (Yea right).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well they have to sell the cars they have on their lot, and of course they are going to say they are all good cars. But, they should have been up front with the paint issue. Buyer always beware, its good that you went to look at the car and looked it over. Always ask about everything you can think of on the phone. If a deal also seems too good to be true (good enough to drive 250 miles) then it probably is. Glad this went OK for you in the end, I wouldn't say that you got especially screwed though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The deal did not seem too good to be true. I got screwed because they wasted my time gas to go down to look at a car that should not have been CPO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like anything else, we learn from experience.

You can't be expected to know every question to ask...and the dealer can't be expected to talk themselves out of a sale. You did the right thing by going to inspect the car, so your due diligence paid off. It might've been a pain and felt like a waste of time, but it wasn't. You avoided buying what could've been a lemon.

I agree that the dealer wasn't as forthcoming as a Porsche dealers should be. And, given that, I probably wouldn't buy from them. Please let us know what happens when you speak to the GM.

Now...since I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy, let's look at the positives...

1) You already know that the Cayman is a great car
2) You now know what to ask a potential long-distance seller
3) You also know that this board is a great resource
4) You'll be driving a Cayman soon!

Caveat Emptor....and Enjoy....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the lemonade Cuddyk

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had a dealer grossly misrepresent a car to me once. Kept it less than 2 months and went with a new car from a local dealer. Couldn't be happier with the '09' Cayman S I purchased from Porsche of the Village in Cincinnati.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
With all the paint problems you describe...sounds like a remake of the Carrie Underwood song "Before he Cheats"

Right now he's probably slow dancing with a bleach blond tramp,
and she's probably getting frisky...
right now, he's probably buying her some fruity little drink cause she can't shoot whiskey...

Right now, he's probably up behind her with a pool-stick, showing her how to shoot a combo...

And he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats...
I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...

Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

.:hilarious:

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
The deal did not seem too good to be true. I got screwed because they wasted my time gas to go down to look at a car that should not have been CPO.
Not the first or last time a dealer has/will optimistically present the condition of a used car. There are Porsche dealers that might have been more descriptive, those that may not have been. The condition of a used car is largely subjective. Welcome to the world of used cars.

Live and learn. Best of luck. I hope you find something more acceptable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did they actually think they were going to get away with that???
Did you ever tell them in your conversations prior to you seeing the car that you were a blind man?? Unbelievable!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they had expected to get away with it. They probably thought I wouldn't go home empty handed. I think they were suprised when I gave them the keys back & walked out the door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think they had expected to get away with it. They probably thought I wouldn't go home empty handed. I think they were suprised when I gave them the keys back & walked out the door.
Good for you!!

With the market in the shape it is, and SOOO many cars and dealers to choose from, I would stay well clear of both that dealer and car.

I choose to drive 100 miles to a different dealer, just because the local dealer didn't give me an offer for my M3 trade in, they gave me an insult, basically stating that the M3 was a high risk item they didn't want on their lot and offered 14k under KBB. 100 miles away, I got a MUCH better offer on the trade and a similar offer on the CS.

Bottom line, if you are not 100% happy with the car / dealer / deal, walk away, it is a buyers market in a way probably never seen before, and if one dealer wont give you what you want, chances are someone else will (within reason)

·
Vendor
2,476 Posts
Sure sounds like they wanted to dump the car - in a hurry, and an abused one at that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts