Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
A Porsche dealer tried to sell me a lemon a month or so ago.
I had arranged to go and see a 10 month old car at 5pm, phoned the dealer on my way to see them - 200 mile trip - that I would be there at 3pm, he sounded a bit flustered and said that the car wasn't there it was still at the coachworks getting properly prepaired. This started alarm bells ringing with me .
On inspecting the car I realsised alomst every panel had been resprayed, the paint was still so soft I could push my finger nails into it and leave a mark. The brake calipers were a whiteish colour like the finsih had been bleached off them. The wheels looked like new but the tyres were down at their wear limits and the car only had 4000 miles on the clock.
The salesman had told me that they were only painting the front bumper to cover a couple of stone chips - an obvious lie.
I still don't know what the story was with the car but I think they'd put a set of new 19 inch alloys with worn tyres on to make the car look a bit more bling, it had very obviously been in a sorry state prior to getting a bad makeover, it was filthy inside to boot.
The worst bit about it was it was not from a back street garage , this was an official UK Porsche dealer - Edinburgh.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Man, I thought I got screwed over. Your story beats my hands down. This should never happen, but apparently it does.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience here as well. I was in the market for an 06-07 boxster S recently and found an 07 CPO in the right color with the right options, but it was 600 miles away from me. After asking the sales person about any blemishes her response was "porsche owners treat thier cars like thier baby" and after reading about Porsche CPO from thier website and how each vehicle is perfect mechanically and cosmetically, I purchased the car sight unseen.

When I got the car shipped to me, it had major stone chip damage on the front bumper, the rear bumper guards (not sure how you pull that one off) and a few major scratches around the vehicle as well as some other damage on the front bumper. None of these items were listed on the CPO checklist that the tech is supposed to do. The car did drive well and seems to have no problems mechanically besides a rattle under the steering column.

I contacted PCNA about the CPO issue, and they said that for a sales matter, I would need to contact the GM of the dealership as Porsche puts out the guidlines for what a CPO vehicle should be, but it is up to the dealers to actually follow through with it. I found this hard to believe as you have a dealership that could be CPOing cars in a effort to sell more easily or for more money, but if things go wrong, you have PCNA picking up the bill for the warranty claims.

I wrote complaint letter to the GM of the dealership. I knew he would not give me cash as compensation so I asked for the indoor car cover and the battery maintainer as compensation (I will need for winter storage) so I saved myself about $450 in parts there. (Have not recieved these parts yet, but I am hoping that the GM was being honest with me an ordered them)

I recieved my car back this past weekend from my local dealership, fixed the rattle under warranty, and re-finished the front bumper and rear bumper guards.

All is well that ends well I suppose and I am now satisfied with my purchase (as long as those parts arrive) even if it cost me a little more money for the bumper re-finish to make me happy.

before and after of front bumper...

-Dan

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Guys,

Lets remember, a used car is, well...., a used car. They are never going to be perfect. Heck, sometimes new cars aren't perfect (which is not acceptable). Rock chips, light scratches, a nick on the leather, etc..., that's all normal wear for a used car. If you're going to buy a used car, you're going to need to accept a little wear, a few chips, etc...

I have a suggestion for those that are looking at far away used Porsches. You are a member of a vast network of Porsche owners and fans. Why not reach out to your fellow members, find one that's close to the car you're considering and ask them if they'll go take a look at it. This is a fantastic way to get some objective eyes on the vehicle. If you think a car dealer is going to point out all of a car's flaws, you're delusional. Let's remember the relationship here. He's a salesman, paid to sell cars. You're a stranger, a potential customer that can buy a car. Hello......

True story for you. One of our members who lives in Florida spotted a used 2006 Cayman S for sale in Connecticut. He was very interested in the car, but the 1,200 miles between him and the car made it hard for him to go see it. So what did this clever member do? He reached out to his Planet Porsche brothers and asked if someone could help. I personally stepped up and accepted that challenge.

I went to Danbury Porsche (my home dealership), test drove the car, inspected it, took pictures and wrote up a detailed report. I was objective. I presented both sides of the spectrum. I highlighted any flaws I could find and provided my opinion on those flaws. I tried to present the facts in a way that would not alarm a potential buyer, but I made sure the information was there so he knew about it and could make his own decision.

Click here to take a look at what I did.

I asked for nothing in return for this service. I had fun doing it and the potential buyer received a very nice service. As it turned out, he bought the car, did a little research of his own and sent my wife and I out to dinner at our favorite restaurant. That was great. Thank you...! I won, my wife won (which is important) and the potential buyer won.

I had pointed out many used car flaws. One was a steering wheel shimmy. I had dismissed it as flat spots on the tires because the car had been sitting for several months and it was super cold (flat spots are common under these circumstances). It turned out that the car had a bent wheel. Even though my guess of flat spots was wrong, the fact that we documented the shimmy before purchase gave him all the support he needed to get the wheel repaired/replaced.

I don't want to identify the user without permission, but maybe he'll see this post and chime in. I am really curious how he's enjoying his CS, and I'm proud that I could help him acquire it.

Planet Porsche is a very powerful tool. How you decide to use it is up to you. You can use it to complain about the inequities of the used car market place, or you can use it to shield yourself from them. The choice is yours. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A used car is something you buy from a individual or a used car lot
a CPO vehicle is inbetween new and used. There are much higher
expectations. You are paying $2000.00 to insure that you are getting
a superior car. Minor wear and tear is expected.

Btw I picked up a cayman this weekend from momentum Porsche
in Houston. It was the buying experience I had been looking for.
The car is nearly flawless and was well represented. Great weekend.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
A used car is something you buy from a individual or a used car lot
a CPO vehicle is inbetween new and used. There are much higher
expectations. You are paying $2000.00 to insure that you are getting
a superior car. Minor wear and tear is expected.

Btw I picked up a cayman this weekend from momentum Porsche
in Houston. It was the buying experience I had been looking for.
The car is nearly flawless and was well represented. Great weekend.
Congratulations. Best of luck with the new car.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree, a used car is a used car and a CPO car is still a used car. What was not acceptable to me was knowing that I could not see the car myself, I asked all the right quesitons about stone chips etc... and was told nothing. The CPO tech is supposed to notate any scratches or chips on the diagram on the CPO checklist... again... nothing. I understand that when cars are driven, they get chiped / scratched. There was plenty of other minor scratches, nicks, etc around the rest of the car that I can live with, as again it was a used car. However, the bumpers looked terrible and needed to be re-finished. These were not normal wear and tear on a car with only 10,000 miles and was not represented truthfully in my opinion. But like I said, all is well that ends well...

I just wish that Porsche had higher standards that they hold thier dealers to when it comes to selling CPO vehicles. When I was looking, there were maybe only 3-4 2007 Boxster S with manual in the whole country available so chances are, it is hard to find one locally. And the Porsche website does not help matters when they set the expectations so high by indicating that your CPO porsche will be "perfect" mechanically and visually.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts