Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time in the last two years, I am toying with the idea of making the switch to a 2014-2015 Audi R8. It might be easier to resist this time around seeing that I am presently driving a 2017 911S. I have always been fascinated with the R8 but know the 911 is a more dependable car with handling that is hard to beat. I only put on around 4,000 miles per year.
Any thoughts from members who have owned an R8 or has switched to one from a Porsche.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a '17 Huracan Spyder, which is pretty much the same as the R8. It was a great daily driver, as odd as that sounds. It was much smoother with the DCT vs my old Gallardo Spyder with eGear. I did test drive a 997.2 Turbo S cab (not a big fan of the 991), and the Huracan felt much more raw and exciting. The Porsches feel so smooth it's almost uneventful. The Lambo always put a smile on my face. I had snow tires for the winter, took it just about anywhere. Only thing is, if you want a manual you are out of luck.

I'm back in a Porsche this year with a '97 993 RUF Turbo R. It's definitely more work with the heavy clutch and steering and the 6 speed, but it's rewarding to drive hard. You feel like you've accomplished something!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been pondering this switch as well. I have rented the Gen 2 R8 and it is amazing. If you are looking at a Gen 1 they are great cars but if you are looking for an auto get a 2014 or later, I have also driven a Pre 2014 car with the single clutch gear box and while I think I would get use to it, there is a learning curve to learn the proper way to drive it. Also the Gen 1 cars are not for a person that is wanting the latest tech in a car. I have owned several Gen 2 TT's and have changed out the NAV with aftermarket because it is so bad.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I drove a v10 manual spyder r8 and enjoyed it a lot. Honestly I think and I rate them as better cars than the Porsche 911 series. I rate the GT3 same as the R8 and yeah I drove the GT3 as well. The R8 to me is way more exotic. And that V10. Can't go wrong. I second the suggestion of going with the dual clutch option unless you can get the gated manual. But honestly the gated manual slowed me down cause I had to get used to shifting carefully. So I would definitely DSG it as I like tracking all my cars. Go for it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For the second time in the last two years, I am toying with the idea of making the switch to a 2014-2015 Audi R8. It might be easier to resist this time around seeing that I am presently driving a 2017 911S. I have always been fascinated with the R8 but know the 911 is a more dependable car with handling that is hard to beat. I only put on around 4,000 miles per year.
Any thoughts from members who have owned an R8 or has switched to one from a Porsche.

I sold my 991 GTS for a 2017 Audi R8 V10 plus, got tired of the mundane looks of the 911 its parked everywhere where I live, the 911 is a good sports car but has nothing, nothing! exotic about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts