Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting away for a few days in September and going to this event. I don't track my car and have not attended my racing events, but I wanted to learn more about Porsche Motorsports cars. I noticed that have a $500+ ticket option that provides several benefits including up close access.

Has anyone attended this event in the past? If so, can you give me an idea of what it is like for a spectator and is there any helpful advice that you might have to share?

Rennsport Reunion V - September 25-27th, 2015 - Home

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed the last Rennsport and have already purchased tickets and corral pass to the next one. I like to walk around the track and take lots of photographs so I can see the racing from different viewpoints. You also get to see the cars up close in the pit area and there are poster signing events by the drivers. Laguna Seca is located in a beautiful spot with many places to view the racing whether you like to sit in the stands or take your lawn chair over to the corkscrew and hang out there. There is one downside if you are really picky about your car you won't be happy as most of the parking is in dirt fields, even the corrals and chances are your car will need a very thorough cleaning after three days. There will be much to do during the three days so I've never bought the expensive pass as I don't like to think I'm confined to one area. It's a fun gig if you really like racing and all that goes with it.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I attended RRIV at Laguna Seca last time, and it was amazing. If you are a student of Porsche racing history, this is THE event to attend. There is an amazing number of historically important (and lesser important) cars that actually race. Some well known drivers attend, and you get access to the pits like no other event--walking around talking to owners, drivers, mechanics. Cars from 505s to GT3 Cup cars, to Le Mans cars. Be aware as a spectator you prolly won't get to drive on the track (maybe a parade lap on one day if it happens.) The spectator coral is fantastic. Last time there were over 1200 spectator Porsches, grouped by model and year. You can get lost in the sea of 911s...LOL.
So please plan on attending. It will be a blast. Many people drive from far away (I will be with a group from Roadrunner PCA in Albuquerque for example) and make it a really national event. The cars make it an international event.

·
Administrator
34,502 Posts
I attended the last one at Daytona, was that #3 I guess? Mike Levitas and I went together so I got to hang out with his racing buddies and had all access to everything. I think the earlier events were less commercial in nature and the pendulum is swinging over more towards the commercial aspects now, but as long as you can afford it or don't mind spending $ to get in and of course buy every hat, shirt and pencil you might need that says Porsche on it, I would recommend going! :) It is one of those events that the first time you go be sure to soak it all in because I'm not sure it has as much draw the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time, etc. unless you have such a love for Porsche racing and historic cars that you can't bear to be away from them, in which case you should probably work at the event. :) I do wish there was more driving for mere mortals, thankfully I got my fill last time with Mike and probably couldn't top that unless someone at Porsche handed me whatever keys I wanted. :) :)

For me it wasn't so much the visual of the older race cars but more the sounds and smells, something you don't get without being there....

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I also went to the one in Daytona ... and ..... it was a blast. I enjoyed all of it and did not feel bad at all that I did not drive my car on the track. It was very enjoyable watching the various races .... spending a lot of time in the pits.... seeing all the "way to cool" cars all over the place ... and the photography opportunities were excellent!!

And, part of the reason it was so much fun is that my son got away from his wife and kids for a few days and went with me :)

All that said, I would probably go again if it was on the east coast and it was a more reasonable drive.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Daytona was RRIII. The last one (RRIV) was at Laguna Seca. The turn out was so impressive they decided to hold RRV there again. I'm sure it will return to the east coast sometime in the future...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience!
I think I am going to attend. Just need to workout the details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts