Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started day two of ownership with an all day road trip and then realized that with all of the gear I put in the trunk I had forgotten to stow away a quart of oil.
Five hundred miles later, the oil level is still green and at the top.
Has anyone needed to add a quart to a 718 outside of the oil change interval? One reads that new cars can burn more oil, so I didn't want to just assume it would be fine, even though I haven't needed to add a quart in fours years of Porsche ownership.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've owned several boxer motors and can attest that they do burn oil when the engine is breaking in. I'm currently at 4,500 miles and the car indicates a good oil level. One of the best things to do for a boxer motor is make sure you run it with some authority after the first couple of thousand miles. There's no better way to seat piston rings than allowing some major engine braking when up in the revvs. If you have a PDK, keep it in manual mode and like that back pressure go into the engine, your rings and oil levels will thank you later.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I don't know about a 718 but my 981 burned 1 quart by 6500 miles during break-in which is normal and ok. After that I have had zero oil usage. At 38k now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You know this, but after 57k miles on my 981 I have never needed to add oil other than at the regular 10k mile intervals with the oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.