Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock stereo system and I have to say it's terrible. I would love to put a new head unit, amp and speakers in.Obviously I don't want to screw anything up. But when, and that's not too often I listen to music I'd like to here something better then what I have. I searched the foums and could not find any direct info on this. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Jneg,

You are in a very small room with a 300hp engine revving. What do you want the stereo to sound like?/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/regular_smile.gifThere is a lot on this site on this, so look around, but I really don't think the issue is with the equipment. How does it sound to you when you are sitting in the car with the engine off? My base sound system sounds OK to me in this application, but when the car is revving at 4K rpm, it doesn't sound so great anymore -- because the real music is starting!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys. I love the sound of the engine just as much as most of you. In fact when I'm alone in the car I hardly ever put the radio on. But when my wife says 'honey lets take the Cayman tonight' I can't say no. I love driving the car whenever. But these are the times I like to put on a cd a listen to some music. But even when the car is not running it sounds pretty bad. As far as 'How to kill a Cayman', that was back in April and theres really no update to that story. I just thought by now someone out there upgraded the sound system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I considered changing and/or enhancing my Bose system....but like everyone else says 'There is a live concierto when you rev that engine', Then who needs a stereo at that point? Besides, I always haul *** and like all my senses focused on anything and everything around me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree that the stereo sucks. I have the bose stereo and it sounds horrible even with the engine off. I spoke to a couple of stereo shops in so cal (al and eds and offshore stereo) and they advised me that it would be a major job to put a stereo system in a bose equipped cayman. It's all mumbo jumbo to me but they said something about the bose amp not working with other systems and the stereos working on 2 ohms or something like that. Basically they said that they would have to remove all the bose peakers and bose amp and replace them in order to have a different head unit installed. I was thinking about having a pioneer avic n1 (navigation/dvd/satellite radio) installed but they made it seem like it was going to be a big project.

Anyone know if you can just drop an aftermarket head unit in my bose equipped cayman s?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Not on a unit with Bose. Everything is digital/fiberoptic. Would require a new head unit, amp, speaker wire and speakers. It should work on a non Bose unit because everything is analog. Dont have my Cayman yet so cant verify this though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if just changing the drivers will make enough difference. It is common knowledge that the speakers are where the majority of the credit or blame rests for the sound quality, at least at this level. And the Bose doesn't distort (any more than at baseline anyway) atpainfully high volume. That suggests to me that the electronics may not be that bad.

BTW, I have the Bose, and my latest settings actually sound pretty good: Fader at +8 (toward front), treble -2, bass +2, Audiopilot on, Surround off. The Audiopilot change is subtle, but seems to give the midrange a little more detail with the above settings, at least while cruising on the highway. The Surround mode just seems to muddy everything up. It may sound better for a second, but I think it's just because it also bumps up the volume.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's another problem with the Bose. When the battery is disconnected, the stereo will remember all the radio presets, but it will not remember the bass. treble, etc. Be sure to reset these. Similarly, it remembers the trip odometer, but forgets the time. Porsche oddities.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spoke to the manager at Offshore stereo in long beach regarding my bose system and adding a new head unit. He advised that his technician could possible use the speakers if he was able to open up the bose amp and wire into it. He said he wouldnt know until the unit was opened up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spent a staggering amount of time on my first Corvette with custom head unit, dual 30 channel equalizers, new speakers, amps, subwoofer amp, custom fiberglass sub 12' box, etc. My conclusion? If you want great sound, buy a luxury car. I bought my Cayman S with no expecation that I would even listen to the stereo system. Engine and tire noise are the music. No problems so far ...

Lightness requirements override all other concerns, including sound.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I wonder if just changing the drivers will make enough difference. It is common knowledge that the speakers are where the majority of the credit or blame rests for the sound quality, at least at this level. And the Bose doesn't distort (any more than at baseline anyway) atpainfully high volume. That suggests to me that the electronics may not be that bad.

Actually, in any somewhat balanced system the speakers are the link in the chain that make the least amount of difference to sound quality. While Bose speakers are very poor, you will likely get the biggest improvement by changing out the head unit and amps. It is commonly accepted practice in Audiophiedom that your most effective upgrade chain is source to speaker, not the other way around.

Also, I find it funny how the general mood on this forum is that we shouldn't expect a $70k+ sportscar to be luxurious also. C'mon guys, these aren't Elises or Exiges or even GT3s. Lots of these cars are everyday drivers, and very expensive ones at that. They should have decent stereos. Lot's of times I like listening to the engine, but sometimes I want to enjoy the curves with good sounding tunes as well!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with newporscheguy, if the car shouldn't have a stereo in it because its a true sports car than they shouldn't charge an extra 950 dollars for a bose system that sounds worse than the regular factory stereo in my GMC Yukon. In my case, I boughtmy CSoff the lot and didn't have a choice in stereo since the car already had bose in it. That being said...I drive with the radio off most of the time anyway :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have some input but, still need help. Does anyone have current pictures (or stories) about a successful change?

I'm dealing with the same issue as jneg. I have a base Cayman currently in production. The finished build date isn't until November so, I can still make option changes. I got to take home a Cayman S with the Bose system. It was great till about half volume. After that, it was nothing special at all...actually, pretty muddy as the system reduces the base to protect itself. The Sound Package Plus is worse.

Porsche recommended a local stereo shop (here in Hawaii) that hassuccessfully installed aftermarket stereos in Boxters. The shop wasn'ttoo fond of Bose in cars. They weren'table to guarantee the use of a new HU with the Bose system. For many different reasons (Fiberoptic, etc), it's just too proprietary.If it worked...great. If not, you still pay for previous labor and, now have to switch everything out anyway.

They did sound confident about switching out the Sound Package Plus system. (I'm not sure if that's the same system in previous Boxter models). It just scares me that more people haven't done this already. With enough speakers holes already in place, they said they could replace the HU (I was looking at the Pioneer P6800DVD, the Eclipse AVN5500 or the Alpine IVA-W200), replace the component speakers (or, use the existing ones) and build a sub enclosure for the trunk. The new amp for the sub would still be in the front of the car.

I, too,LOVE the sound of the engine. But,an aftermarket stereo would punch more like a home system does, include navigation, offer options for bothiPod & Bluetooth and play DVD's. (Imagine the surround sound watching Armageddon while waiting for your girlfriend!)

If I'm forced to make a decision without input from other Cayman owners, I'll pick the Bose. ( I have seen the pics from 'How tokill a Cayman S.' Btw, my heart does go out to you).But, if there is someone who has succeeded to any degree, please come forward. I'll be the first to send up a case of Chocolate covered Macadamia Nuts as thanks!

Marc

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is an interesting article I read I think on the Lexus website about the Mark Levinson sound system. The first thing they had to do was get as close to a sound proof environment as possible. I still say that this is the hurdle that any system in the Cayman has to overcome. Think of what you are going to do to your ears if you are able to install a system that can overpower the 80db of engine noise and sound clear /good in the process. I have not looked at any Ferrari/Lambo/Saleen websites, but how do their stereos sound with the engine thumping along behind the drivers head? I find it interesting that with the same electronics comments have been posted here that the 997 has a better sounding, but not greatstereo. (Larger cabin, further removed from the engine.) I will bet that all of this 'crappy' equipment installed in the Panamera will suddenly sound not too bad............

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What Fadiboy wrote makes a lot of sense. The only problem is that even when the engine is not running the system is , well, way below average.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Speaking of: The Mark Levinson systems in my Lexi (03 abd 05) sound better to me than any stock or aftermarket upgrades I've had on a host of other vehicles.As Fadiboy pointed out, great car audio starts with a VERY quiet soundstage inside the car. For a sports vehicle with much higher DB levels,it's much more difficult to discern the subtle differences in equipment's ability to accurately reproduce the sound of violins no matter what kind of equipment you have. It would be like trying to tell the diffenence in vocal reproduction betwen vinyl and CD while driving in a Cayman at 6K rpm. For me, most audio (and performance) mods have been a little like chasing my tail or getting 'one' tattoo. It just whets my thirst for going to 'the next level'. Thatgets very pricey with nominal or subtle results. In my experience, even major investment upgrades have sometimes fruited systems that only sound great at at 'ear bleed' volumes and sound pale at low volumes, I will remain closely tuned to this thread as I'd love to hear a great 'bang for the buck' and straight forward solution to an audio upgrade. Heck, maybe they've done something to improve the sound of the 07s that has not been publicized. In any case I peronsonally will not be making a $5K investment to enjoy a 10 % improvement inthe sound of the Bose system in my Croc. Last thought for audiophiles: Have you ever noticed how much better paper cone speakers sound at low volume than poly or composite cone speakers? Hmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts