Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow, I've never seen a hat break like that.

The rotor is easy and cheap to replace. When you do, have a good look at the hub and wheel bearing to make sure nothing under the hat got damaged.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I've never seen a hat break like that.

The rotor is easy and cheap to replace. When you do, have a good look at the hub and wheel bearing to make sure nothing under the hat got damaged.
Thanks - I'm quite shocked too to see such a huge hole. Hopefully it's only the rotor and not the entire hub/wheel bearing to replace. That will take 6-8 weeks to import those parts and probably cost $5k+ :(

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Wow! How did it happen? Brake pad explode or driving over debris?

Reactions: Jay987GT

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't know the cost, but it could be caused or helped by over torqueing the lug bolts, using an impact gun to tighten, wrong pattern, etc. Puts stress on the hub and LC took it over the top. Then again, it just could have been a manufacturing defect. Under warranty? If so, I'd get at least the torque checked out first, maybe put the factory rims on, although I can see the debris damaged the spokes on your rims.

Assuming that is a rear hub, then the emergency brakes are under the hub and are likely toast. Perhaps you had a sticking e-brake and it helped take out the hub as the inside of the rear hub is used as a drum for the e-brake pads. I have had sticky e-brake n my 981 CS and it has been to the dealer twice. At least I have it on record that there is a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow! How did it happen? Brake pad explode or driving over debris?
No idea - clear road. Turned of Traction Control , hit the break, floored the gas to 5000 RPM, let go and took off. From my understanding thats how the launch control works.
Was driving fine for like 30 seconds until I heard some really weird sound. Sounded like something is stuck in the wheel or the engine was about to blow up. Constant 'clack clack', then nothing for a while and the sound would start again. Stopped at the side of the road of course to check but couldn't see a damn thing. Came home, parked and noticed it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
There is no way that a safety related part should have that kind of failure. The design would have been quality tested to stress limits far beyond what you could ever put on it. I would consider calling the manufacturer and see if they would send you a new set. It is a trivial cost to them, but your info on the breakage would be very valuable for them to analyze. If I produced brakes for cars, I would absolutely send you a new set regardless of what you did to break it under driving conditions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There is no way that a safety related part should have that kind of failure. The design would have been quality tested to stress limits far beyond what you could ever put on it. I would consider calling the manufacturer and see if they would send you a new set. It is a trivial cost to them, but your info on the breakage would be very valuable for them to analyze. If I produced brakes for cars, I would absolutely send you a new set regardless of what you did to break it under driving conditions.
Totally agree with you but this being thailand, the answer will be a smile, a 'can not, sir' and a quote of $5-10k USD - from the official Porsche Center.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know the cost, but it could be caused or helped by over torqueing the lug bolts, using an impact gun to tighten, wrong pattern, etc. Puts stress on the hub and LC took it over the top. Then again, it just could have been a manufacturing defect. Under warranty? If so, I'd get at least the torque checked out first, maybe put the factory rims on, although I can see the debris damaged the spokes on your rims.

Assuming that is a rear hub, then the emergency brakes are under the hub and are likely toast. Perhaps you had a sticking e-brake and it helped take out the hub as the inside of the rear hub is used as a drum for the e-brake pads. I have had sticky e-brake n my 981 CS and it has been to the dealer twice. At least I have it on record that there is a problem.
Sadly yes - back left.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
None of us can make definitive judgments by just looking at a picture. To specifically answer your question, absent a collision I have never seen damage like that despite the many years of road racing in which I participated. After all of the damaged parts have ben removed, a root cause analysis can be conducted to determine the cause. Depending upon the results of this analysis, I believe there's a chance that Porsche will cover the repair costs, especially the price of the replaced parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Regardless of where in the world you are or this failure occurred, going to the OEM makes it irrelevant

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have seen this happen on an Audi S4 (B5). When attempting to take the wheel off, the bolts were torqued several hundred lbs past the recommended 92lbs. Conclusion was this excessive pressure on the rotor cap caused a sort of torsional weakness. This S4 was modified to 500awhp+, causing all the more stress.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to give you guys an update.. Porsche is very interested in this matter. Regardless, there is a minor cost of around $1,500 USD involved for myself. Of course I could take them to court, sue them etc.. but who needs all this stress.
Going to be fixed by the middle of next week, probably get an extended warranty and thats the end of it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just to give you guys an update.. Porsche is very interested in this matter. Regardless, there is a minor cost of around $1,500 USD involved for myself. Of course I could take them to court, sue them etc.. but who needs all this stress.
Going to be fixed by the middle of next week, probably get an extended warranty and thats the end of it.
Sorry for your troubles, but $1500 is not a minor cost. Here in the US, you can buy a set of two Sebro front slotted rotors for about $250 and then replace both of your front rotors. If you can do the repair yourself, it would be worth having them shipped to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts