Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My warranty period is almost up and I'm deciding between selling the car or slapping a turbo on it. If I'm going to turbo the car, I'd like to keep it for a while... I know our cars are pretty much bulletproof, but adding forced induction certainly wears on the engine and other components.

It would be awesome to hear from people that have some mileage on these kits. Has anyone blown a turbo? Any engine or transmission problems? I used to own a B5 S4 (with the 2.7 bi-turbo engine) and those things were maintenance nightmares when chipped and I think it's making me a bit gun-shy on buying this turbo kit for the CS.

Anyways, some feedback from current owners (or TPC themselves) would be incredibly helpful. The system looks pretty amazing and I commend them for the great work, I'm just trying to do some homework before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
other than excessive speed?!? you the same MarcDC from Audiworld? I have seen this SN before. I am pretty sure dominic is over 15k as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
other than excessive speed?!? you the same MarcDC from Audiworld? I have seen this SN before. I am pretty sure dominic is over 15k as well.
Haha, yes I am, haven't been on that site in quite some time though.

When I got rid of the S4 I was sick of the problems so I jumped to an IS350, then remembered that I actually liked driving cars, and purchased the Cayman S... couldn't be happier with the CS but after spending several days in my buddy's GT3 RS I'm craving the power. That's where TPC comes in...

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I've had mine on for 1 year this week! Very few street miles but A LOT of track miles; just over 20 track days this past year.

I have driven the car very hard and NO issues. I've had brake and power steering problems but no issues with the turbo or engine. It's an absolute blast to drive and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thank you Schwabe and BMWalsh for the input. Glad to hear neither of you have had any problems!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just finished an oil change this past weekend after logging 4000 miles on my TPC setup. My only gripe is we don't get 93/95 octane fuel out here in California and the 91 we get here is piss-poor. I've been extremely happy with the setup, and with the new low-boost kit, you can get the entire thing done for < $10k putting down 400rwhp!

Not many mid engine, RWD cars, out there weighing < 3000 lbs and putting out 400rwhp. Biggest problem now is figuring out what to do when it comes time to "trade up."

Being so close to TPC is icing on the cake = ) Good luck !

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just to throw in an update. 14 months now with 15k on the Turbo. No major problems, car still running very strong. Recently conducted a smoke test to check for air leaks and had my installer go over the install for oil/coolant leaks, everything came back without a hitch. Very impressed both with the kit and with the workmanship by my installer, who happens to be a BMW mechanic working on a Cayman for the first time when it was installed.

That said, I did have 1 minor issue that's isolated to my car which I wasn't able to reproduce when Mike was in town and I didn't have time to diagnose the problem since. It's a blinking CEL going [email protected] in third gear or higher... as you can imagine it's very difficult to reproduce on public roads! Performance hasn't been affected according to my 400rwhp dyno, and I haven't had the problem since replacing the MAF recently. Will post an update once I get more miles on it.

Big thumbs up to TPC for their continual support and excellent customer service trying to help me diagnose an isolated problem from 1000+ miles and 2 timezones away.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In general speaking, you might wanna ask ppl who track their tpc turbo cayman regularly. To understand the reliability better, you should ask ppl who drive it really hard on the track.
During street driving, most of forced induction builds are fine, but some of them start having issue when you drive it really hard. Especially when you use crappy pump gas during hot days.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
In general speaking, you might wanna ask ppl who track their tpc turbo cayman regularly. To understand the reliability better, you should ask ppl who drive it really hard on the track.
During street driving, most of forced induction builds are fine, but some of them start having issue when you drive it really hard. Especially when you use crappy pump gas during hot days.
YouTube - Accumoto Motorsport TPC Turbo Cayman RS in-car with Randy Pobst in the rain

YouTube - Accumoto Motorsport Turbo Cayman RS in-car

YouTube - Guy Cosmo: Cosmo-Sport Porsche Cayman S Turbo at Palm Beach Intl. Raceway

Ok, well those are driven by pros... Both Mark and Guy own turbo caymans, work for you?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
70,000 miles with turbo --- no problems ---
Peter, you are the freakin man! I do not know how one man could possible put so many miles on this kit in such a short time, but to put it in perspective; In just over 2 years of ownership and 70,000 with the turbo kit, Peter could have circled the Earth nearly 3 entire times!

Add to that, that about 1 and a half times around the planet, he upgraded to the full 550HP Stage 2 System, and it becomes even more amazing!

In the words of the old Jiffy Lube slogan...."If you're good to your car, then your car will be good to you..."

Hope you enjoy the car for another 70,000 trouble free miles!

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
none taken, the overall thoughts on the turbo system on rennlist is that it will blow your engine up if driven hard... so everyonce in a while i have to remind people that there are people out there with pro driving skill that beat the hell out of these cars.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Peter Lives in his car :)

We Autocross ours hard. so far no major issues as all. 10,000 miles on it now. This kit Rocks!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Peter Lives in his car :)

You are corect -- instead of sitting in my office; I get into the car-- think, and make phone calls --- just driving around aimlessly ----

1 - 20 of 21 Posts