1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried one of these "all in one" units to replace Bose in 987?

I haven't had any success with one of those android headunits. Imagine using one of the cheapest android phones from an off-brand as your car stereo. It's clunky, unresponsive, and (at least in GTI circles where I'm coming from) the hardware tends to fail fairly quickly. A friend bought one for his 330i, and it has never worked well. We reset the unit, flashed firmware, updated software, reinstalled apps, etc. If two IT guys get frustrated with it, I'm certain it would be a nightmare for the average person.

That particular unit that you linked doesn't mention anything about connecting to the MOST fiber optics, and I haven't seen a replacement unit that does. You might want to look over this post as Jim did an excellent write-up:
https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-electronics/233407-ae0273b-08a-install-2006-porsche-cayman-s.html

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. I assumed it was mostly smoke and mirrors. Actually, it is an "all in one" unit that purports to have 180 watt amp (45W x 4) that feeds directly to speakers. This would be the easiest approach, given that most cars do not have a separate amp. I would not bite on this without good reviews. It's unfortunate that a major maker doesn't configure a kit like this. There have to be 10,000 or more potential sales for 987/997 alone.

I'll just keep listening to my motor rather than the Bose. 8 )

·
Registered
28 Posts

I installed am much more modern but universal unit. The one you linked to only has 1GB RAM and a dated Android version. Keep in mind when you get these don't expect OS updates. I waited unit a more powerful and up-to-date unit was available and finally installed it last weekend. I see red_stapler linked to my post already (thanks). I have only been using it a week but happy so far. I presume I may be upgrading the head unit every 4 or 5 years to stay up-to-date like you would a phone or tablet. Is your system Bose or standard? It makes a rather big difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Thanks. I assumed it was mostly smoke and mirrors. Actually, it is an "all in one" unit that purports to have 180 watt amp (45W x 4) that feeds directly to speakers. This would be the easiest approach, given that most cars do not have a separate amp. I would not bite on this without good reviews. It's unfortunate that a major maker doesn't configure a kit like this. There have to be 10,000 or more potential sales for 987/997 alone.

I'll just keep listening to my motor rather than the Bose. 8 )
If you have the Bose with a fiber optic amp - it has seven speakers and a sub. All of them running wonky impedances and crossovers designed to work specifically with the Bose amp. Do yourself a favor - buy a really nice head unit with the features you want (I found a scratch and dent on Crutchfield for about 50% off - the wiring harness had the ends stripped - I was cutting it shorter anyway, and worst case a replacement was $15). Buy the preamp to optical adapter - I went with the NAV kit - it's expensive, but works, and has US based sales and support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts