Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the GT4 announcement yesterday and the expected Boxster non-Motorsport Spyder/Club Sport, is there still a market for installing 3.8L engines into 2.7L or 3.4L Boxsters and Cayman, and what would be the benefits versus a Porsche warranted product?

·
Registered
141 Posts
There are still reasons why you might get a swap vs. buying a GT4. Maybe you already own a Boxster or Cayman, so your marginal cost would be less. Maybe you don't want a track car, but something more supple or luxurious.

Maybe be you want a GT3 engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yup, it has :eek:

Now all efforts should be poured into a 350-360hp tune for the 3.4L cars, which will sell like hotcakes (as long as it is safe and reliable, and doesn't require one's car to be in Germany). So many of us (myself included) are waiting to reclaim what the Porsche marketing department had robbed us of. After they crack that code, they can help GT4 owners get to 400-430hp (with the Power kit).

This is engine swap stuff is fascinating but unfortunately it is a bridge too far for most people...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I don't think it has. For people that are looking for a 3.8L 380+ hp 981 without a roof it is still interesting I would imagine. A second hand base 981 with a 3.8L swap should be cheaper than buying a 981 GT4, not to mention you get the "roofless experience". Even if they do launch a Boxster 981 with the 3.8 it would cost a pretty penny. And IMO warranty alone is not worth it.

However, if I'd already have a 981S. Then I would either hold out for a tune, if it ever arrives, or trade it in for a GT4 if I really couldn't live with the power that the crippled 3.4 engine puts out. I really couldn't care about high rpm HP, but the 3.8 would deliver more low-end grunt (torque!!!). And that is where the appeal is for me personally.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't think so. In fact my Cayman is at BGB getting the swap done right now. Should be done in two weeks. I feel that I'm getting more for less money than the GT4. But I'm not the target demo for the GT4. If the GTS had 380hp then maybe I wouldn't be doing the swap. Even then I'm spending the same amount of money and getting items not available from PCNA. Specifically the Guards LSD and sport headers.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The value of a used Cayman and the 3.8 Engine cost will be less than selling the older car and arranging to buy a limited production (if the 600 per year limit is true) car. Now the parts may be easier since there will be more Cayman/Boxster compatible engine partsavailable (advanced exhaust, differnet manifolds, etc) from the GT4 that may make the conversion even easier and less costly.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think the GT4 could potentially fuel the market for 3.8 swaps...once the marketplace sees how the 3.8 changes the character of the car, the limited supply of GT4s may not satisfy the demand for something more than an S or GTS. For those that want specific setups/options that the Cayman GT4 doesn't provide, going the BGB route (for example) will allow custom configuration of a car that suits the owner's needs/wants and situation. For instance, the Porsche LSD in the GT4 comes with Torque Vectoring...I would prefer a more robust aftermarket solution without PTV; the GT4 comes with 20" wheels; I'd prefer 19s. The list of items a true track junkie might want that Porsche doesn't offer could be extensive. If someone is going to start ripping apart a GT4 post-delivery to make the car even more trackworthy, a strong case can be made for taking a used donor car and doing upgrades - starting with a 3.8 swap - required to take to car to the next competitive level, getting EXACTLY what they want and saving a few dollars in the process.

On the warranty front, I would pose this question to a GT4 owner planning to heavily track their car...do you think Porsche will honor the new vehicle warranty on mechanical failures that can reasonably be attributed to track usage?

Marketed thoughtfully, built to exacting standards and sold at a reasonable price, then supported with stellar customer service, a company like BGB could carve out a nice niche for themselves.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The Boxster Club Sport is not expected to get the 3.8L engine.

I’ll let John chime in, but in my recollection, BGB has converted quite a few Boxsters. IMHO, the Porsche marketing machine grossly understimates the performance orientation of Boxster shoppers. When people start talking more and more about the GT4 Cayman, I think it might fuel the fire among Boxster owners even more. And I will be proud to point out that I have Chassis #006.

:drivingskid:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'd expect this to make the swaps even better. I mean... now there's a 3.8L with an ECM programmed for the 981. Wouldn't this make the swap easier to do?

Reactions: mikeearly

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd expect this to make the swaps even better. I mean... now there's a 3.8L with an ECM programmed for the 981. Wouldn't this make the swap easier to do?
If you are going to do this engine swap, why go for the handicapped 385hp version instead of the full 400hp?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Maybe the company version of a 3.8 981 will produce some interesting parts and ideas. It has a larger side scoop. What else . . . usable software? I for one want a Boxster, no giant wing, 19's, pdk . . . in fact, it's on the way. An engine upgrade might be a good refresher in a year or so!:burnout::burnout:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If you are going to do this engine swap, why go for the handicapped 385hp version instead of the full 400hp?
You never know. Judging by the interview EVO did, it may well already have the full 400 hp. "At least 385 hp.. at 10,000 ft... " :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think so. In fact my Cayman is at BGB getting the swap done right now. Should be done in two weeks. I feel that I'm getting more for less money than the GT4. But I'm not the target demo for the GT4. If the GTS had 380hp then maybe I wouldn't be doing the swap. Even then I'm spending the same amount of money and getting items not available from PCNA. Specifically the Guards LSD and sport headers.
Looking forward to future posts on your BGB conversion! I'm very much interested in this, but will probably do it closer to the end of the four year warranty.

However, regarding 3.8L Caymans in general.. If you watch the EVO 20 minute video where the head of GT cars talks about what went into the GT4, it really hits home how much more goes into the GT4 design above and beyond a larger engine.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You never know. Judging by the interview EVO did, it may well already have the full 400 hp. "At least 385 hp.. at 10,000 ft... " :)
I’m not gonna put much weight on his little joke ... What am I supposed to do, believe he is telling the truth because he is lying? I think he’s just trying to hype the GT4 up by making us think the engine is vastly underrated. After all, that video was an advertisement, not a public service announcement...

If Porsche says the car only has 385hp, then I’m gonna take them at their word. My only other options are to believe they are too incompetent to measure hp, or else that they willfully lie to their customers.
:p

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
It's not uncommon for manufacturers to underrate cars and their performance figured (hp, 0-60mph, etc) and I don't think Porsche is an exception. I'm willing to bet that the engine is the same as the one in the 991S (400HP, not detuned). Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 385hp either.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah, but if Porsche lied about the GT4 engine, then they probably also lied about the 991S engine, so maybe that engine really makes 425hp... See what I mean? You don’t get anywhere by second-guessing the numbers, so you might as well take them at face value.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Very true, to me it just makes more sense to leave the 3.8 engine as is, without detuning it. It also would have made sense to not detune the 3.4L engine thats in my CS....

Jealous of your 3.8L in your Boxster. It inspires me to do the same ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My take is that Porsche just enhanced and legitimized the market for 3.8L swaps!! Calling all Porsche engine swap shops!!

I just bought a low mileage 2014 Cayman S, and the GT4 news has me salivating for a new GT4. But when I found out there will be no allocations for nobody guys like me, way down on the totem pole, I started thinking about a 3.8L swap.

My 2014 325 hp 3.4L 6 spd Cayman S has only 2600 miles, no track time and no over-revs. It is a high value "core engine" trade towards a 3.8L swap. How many of the older Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman owners would love to have my fresh engine's 325 hp and 273 lb-ft torque?? Wanna guess?

I am in FL. What shops could I call for quotes? How much do yall guess a swap would cost me, considering the high value engine I would swap?

Comments?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Porsche just enhanced the market for 3.8L swaps.
I just bought a 2014 CS, and the news had me salivating for a new GT4. But when I found out there are no allocations for nobody guys like me, I began thinking about a 3.8L swap.
My 2014 325 hp 3.4L 6 spd Cayman S has only 2600 miles, no track time and no over-revs. It is a high value "core engine" trade towards a 3.8L swap.
I'm in FL.
What shops should I call for quotes? How much do yall guess a swap would cost me, considering the engine I would swap? Comments?
Absolutely contact BGB Motorsports, they have done 981 3.8L Engine swaps and even better, they're located in Florida!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts