Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself one of the most easygoing and non-judgmental person around. Unfortunately I've discovered that this may have all been self delusional and I blame the Cayman.

Last week I had to drive a new Dodge Caliber (or caliper?) as a dealer loaner while they checked something out with the car. I found myself horrified to be driving something that felt like it would tip over on any highway on ramp and something that I had to plan my merges carefully due to the response of the small engine.

The worse part was that on road I felt that everyone was laughing at my ride. Of course I saw more attractive women on the road in 2 days than I had seen in 2+ years of driving the Cayman.

I was so happy to be back in the Cayman again after two days.

How could this have happened? I've turned into a car snob!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I consider myself one of the most easygoing and non-judgmental person around. Unfortunately I've discovered that this may have all been self delusional and I blame the Cayman.

Last week I had to drive a new Dodge Caliber (or caliper?) as a dealer loaner while they checked something out with the car. I found myself horrified to be driving something that felt like it would tip over on any highway on ramp
i believe i know how you feel. my car has been in the shop the past 2-1/2 weeks for the installation of a tpc low pressure turbo system. i was able to borrow a 2005 lexus rx330 and i "feel" (i think its just my imagination) as though it will roll over:eek: every time i turn or change lanes. i can't wait to get my car back!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, I need to go west for service! :hilarious:

Holy cow! My dealer sent me off in a Panamera S while I had to wait 5 days for a part. That turned me into a snob!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
When you drive a '97 Del Sol with no A/C on a regular basis, a Dodge Caliber is a step up (I think). Actually, I recently sold the del Sol and 'stepped up' to a '02 Civic. :) It definitely helps me appreciate my CS more and not take it for granted each time I get behind the wheel.

-Moto

·
Registered
205 Posts
Panamara S? That's a quality dealership. But to answer the OP's question... I am definitely a car snob. And I blame the Cayman.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,647 Posts
PP a snob? Say it ain't so Joe! I know what you mean Pete when I go to vegas I rent s--t boxes and I drive very very slow! LOL

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,647 Posts
But I don't really care what others think of my ride. I already have the blond! LOL

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the Cayman just reinforces how poorly the average car handles, but I don't think that makes you a snob.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I drive our Ford Explorer Sport Trac and that keeps me grounded.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What?? You mean I wasn't a snob before???

One of my other cars is a 4 cylinder Camry. Holy Shmoly. It takes me 2 states to get up to highway speed and it turns like the Titanic. The one good thing about it. It gets close to 500 miles per tank. If I keep my right foot a little light.

I may not be a snob. I just feel sorry for all the poor slobs that have to drive regular cars. :taunt:

·
Registered
519 Posts
My original BMW dealer (since bought out by another dealer) also owned a Dodge franchise. Consequently, they used Dodges as loaners. I felt the same way you do every time I entered an on ramp. I figured out that it was a great way of keeping their customers in BMWs.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Last week I had to drive a new Dodge Caliber (or caliper?) as a dealer loaner while they checked something out with the car. I found myself horrified to be driving something that felt like it would tip over on any highway on ramp and something that I had to plan my merges carefully due to the response of the small engine.

The worse part was that on road I felt that everyone was laughing at my ride. Of course I saw more attractive women on the road in 2 days than I had seen in 2+ years of driving the Cayman.

I was so happy to be back in the Cayman again after two days.

How could this have happened? I've turned into a car snob!
Wow! I got a Cayenne as a loaner.. and later bought one! your dealer is asleep at the wheel and loosing some marketing chances!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I travel a good amount for work and have always rented the crappiest car available, the chevy crapolier is my favorite. I always appreciate my car when I get home even more then when I left. Though recently since getting my cayman, if where I'm going to is 5 hours away... I'll drive, since my cayman is a better ride then US Air :banana:

A snob? I had to take break in writing this response to go fetch my micro fiber towel collection out of the dryer since I took a day off work tomorrow to wash and clean my car.:helpme:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the Cayman just reinforces how poorly the average car handles, but I don't think that makes you a snob.
Agreed. I think we get use to the feeling driving the Cayman gives us.

Recently i was in Portugal had a hire car, a Peugeot 207 diesel. Over there the motor way limit is 130km/h (80mph), but given how everybody was driving, I think that is just a recommendation. I was so hanging to be driving the Cayman. For some reason the 1.8l diesel just didn't have the same punch as the Cayman S. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There is no getting beyond the fact that the Cayman elevates the driving experience to another level. For those that love to drive there are few nicer cars even close to this price point. If enjoying my Cayman makes me a snob, I'm going to smile and wear the label proudly.:banana:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Hi
I own my (first porsche) 2009 cayman S for @ 2 months time.
One of my other cars is a 4 cylinder Honda Accord and I can tell you there is a big huge difference driving both.
Generally speaking driving the cayman will affects on regular basis (at least in my country) other people in what have being accurately described here at this forum as the :
1- WAO factor
2- Head turner reaction

Are the 2 above issues turning me a snob?

I don't really think so

but I have to accept this is part of the price and consequence of owning the ultimate driving machine and I have to confess I LOVE IT :dance:

rex

·
Registered
481 Posts
Driving the Cayman does make me feel a bit special, but where I live, it does not get much in the way of looks. Lots of higher end cars around. The other car is a stripped Mazda Tribute SUV, which does feel tippy in corners, but am used to it. The V6 makes OK power, but the brakes are the worst.

- Phil

·
On Probation
582 Posts
when i had my c6 z06 i was a power snob...i would laugh in their face if anyone threwdown....now i have to make excuses

1 - 20 of 41 Posts