Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
off to work today in my daily driver BS. This is actually the 3rd time its been in the snow, but the other 2 occasions were just a few inches... now there is just a bit more in CT! Yes, I thought about getting a winter beater car but decided on wheels and snow tires instead so I can enjoy the car all winter. On the shoreline here we generally don't get much snow and it doesn't usually last more than a day or two, but we got whacked this time. Drives just fine in the slippery stuff, with a little moderation...

Tim
New London, CT

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm in RI Providence to be exact and we got quite a few inches also (24) with drifts from hell.....got stuck once backing out of the driveway but after a few moments of anxiety she got moving again. Roads were a complete mess here but the car got through just fine on the alpins.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think the worst part is the door handle. Yeah, every time I grab it I'm reminded, because it is so salt-encrusted it feels like I'm holding a barnacle. Long-term forecasts suggest that in about 10 days we might get a break in the weather, I cannot wait to wash all this stuff off.

And down here we've only gotten a small fraction of the snow you have (although we had a sleet-storm last night, driveways and a few streets like ours covered in hard ice, not fun).

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's easy for me to say this, being in snow-free California, but you're doing what your supposed to: drive your car. It is only car, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wished I could drive mine in the winter too but there are a lot of idiot drivers here (Californians and Texans) that think they can drive the same way in the snow as it is dry. I've been rear ended numerous times in my SUV and minivan. Every time I get hit, I joked, "You must be from California?" They would reply with, "how did you know!"

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I drive mine daily as well, rain, sun, snow or otherwise in the Boise area.

Reactions: Tim Anderson

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is only a car, and I do believe in using any machine fully for its intended purpose. Which means proper care and maintenance, but no pampering! Daily driver, autocrosser, DE track car this summer, I want to use it up. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wished I could drive mine in the winter too but there are a lot of idiot drivers here (Californians and Texans) that think they can drive the same way in the snow as it is dry. I've been rear ended numerous times in my SUV and minivan. Every time I get hit, I joked, "You must be from California?" They would reply with, "how did you know!"
I don't know where in CO you are, but I lived on the Front Range for the past 6.5 years and met very, very few Coloradoans who had any clue how to drive in the snow. I grew up and learned to drive in Maine, so I think I have a fairly good point of reference.

My observations about driving in CO in the snow are, first, the snow is different. It goes from snow to a sheet of ice without any intermediate steps. Second, drivers do, in fact, slow down... and then get right on top of each other. That explains why you keep getting rear ended, but it's not just the Californians! Third, a Coloradoan's logic to overcome spinning tires is to put more gas to it. Maybe they think they'll create enough friction to melt the snow and get to pavement? And headlights? Those are for lesser drivers. And out of staters.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't know where in CO you are, but I lived on the Front Range for the past 6.5 years and met very, very few Coloradoans who had any clue how to drive in the snow. I grew up and learned to drive in Maine, so I think I have a fairly good point of reference.

My observations about driving in CO in the snow are, first, the snow is different. It goes from snow to a sheet of ice without any intermediate steps. Second, drivers do, in fact, slow down... and then get right on top of each other. That explains why you keep getting rear ended, but it's not just the Californians! Third, a Coloradoan's logic to overcome spinning tires is to put more gas to it. Maybe they think they'll create enough friction to melt the snow and get to pavement? And headlights? Those are for lesser drivers. And out of staters.
I lived in Denver since 1987 when people used to drive very slow in the snow. The Coloradans you met are probably not Coloradans, I know most of my neighbors are not from Colorado, my coworkers are not from here and their neighbors are from Texas or California. What I'm saying is that, Colorado has grown throughout the years and many came from states that rarely snows and drives like it when it does. There should be a law for mandatory snow driving lessons before you get your license here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts