Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me since January that the market for 987's has been extremely seller-oriented. What used to be hovering around $26K USD is now closer to $30K. I have paid attention with some detail to the aircooled market, but have neglected 987's. Does the market dry up in the early months due to a new fiscal year/tax return every year? Or are we seeing a unique increase in demand?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think they went up, the middle of March. When the snow was flying, I found some good prices for cars in locations that I did not want go to because of the weather. Seems like now the weather has improved people are buying. Including me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same, over the wicked SoCal winter I've suffered through, I was deciding on new GTI, BRZ, or WRX, used Z4M or Cayman and settled upon Cayman some time in the early spring only to find most stories about a $26K Cayman to be false. The older ads with prices shown do seem to support this theory though. I'm just wondering if this is an annual thing, or if 987 values have hit a plateau. Trying to wedge myself into an 09 S if at all possible.

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts
Same, over the wicked SoCal winter I've suffered through, I was deciding on new GTI, BRZ, or WRX, used Z4M or Cayman and settled upon Cayman some time in the early spring only to find most stories about a $26K Cayman to be false. The older ads with prices shown do seem to support this theory though. I'm just wondering if this is an annual thing, or if 987 values have hit a plateau. Trying to wedge myself into an 09 S if at all possible.
Here's why you see the relative number of each that are available at a given time...
Cayman S production numbers...
2006 - 5,651 (5,367 USA / 284 Canada)
2007 - 3,444 (3,361 USA / 83 Canada)
2008 - 2,562 (2,418 USA / 144 Canada)
2009 - 792 (725 USA / 67 Canada)
2010 - 614 (543 USA / 71 Canada)
2011 - 539 (506 USA / 33 Canada)
2012 - 149 (125 USA / 24 Canada)

Good luck with your hunt! It'll be worth the effort whether you end up with .1 or .2!

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Here's why you see the relative number of each that are available at a given time...
Cayman S production numbers...
2006 - 5,651 (5,367 USA / 284 Canada)
2007 - 3,444 (3,361 USA / 83 Canada)
2008 - 2,562 (2,418 USA / 144 Canada)
2009 - 792 (725 USA / 67 Canada)
2010 - 614 (543 USA / 71 Canada)
2011 - 539 (506 USA / 33 Canada)
2012 - 149 (125 USA / 24 Canada)
Where did these numbers come from? For MY06, only Cayman S models were produced 7025, not 5651, for the US - Source Porsche Cayman Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Similarly, where did the 07 numbers come from? 3444 is really low - should be 6027/222 unless 2583 were base models?

??????????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought my 2007 Boxster S in November 2014 for $31k. Only had 15k miles and was an 'S' so that may have put it at the higher end of the cost spectrum. Plus I bought it from a dealer, not private party.

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Some quick and primitive google-fu shows the figures for the 07 Cayman closer to 7K: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...production-numbers-post554397.html#post554397 I really hope 09 production numbers aren't as low as 900. They're pretty much my unicorn right now.
No idea about Arch's number source ... but 09s were a limited run because it wasn't a full model year + it was still full bore recession at the time. Dealer allocations were as rare as a Blackberry in Silicon Valley.

They stopped taking MY 09 orders by ~late Jan/Feb 2009. Many people including myself had put in orders for '09s only to get pushed to MY 10 because the dealer's just didn't have the build allocations from Porsche. I remember I finalized my order/options with my sales rep in Jan 2009. But he couldn't secure a build until April, and by that time they had stopped taking MY09 and switched to MY10 orders.

Any particular reason you want a '09 other than just the rare/novelty factor?
If I recall correctly, the 09's weren't 100% 987.2 - some options on the 09s were still from the 987.1. Like steering wheel options for example. I remember being slightly annoyed that the computer wouldn't let my sales rep order the old 987.1 sports steering wheel option code with the '10. He convinced me to go for the multifunction steering wheel, and I was pleasantly surprised when I got the car to find that they switched to the new "PDK" style chunky steering wheel as standard for '10 and onwards.

·
Registered
895 Posts
This is interesting stuff.

My best guess is there were about 1,200 Caymans (both models) sold for each MY 2009 and 2010. I would love to see hard numbers.

Eddie

No idea about Arch's number source ... but 09s were a limited run because it wasn't a full model year + it was still full bore recession at the time. Dealer allocations were as rare as a Blackberry in Silicon Valley.

They stopped taking MY 09 orders by ~late Jan/Feb 2009. Many people including myself had put in orders for '09s only to get pushed to MY 10 because the dealer's just didn't have the build allocations from Porsche. I remember I finalized my order/options with my sales rep in Jan 2009. But he couldn't secure a build until April, and by that time they had stopped taking MY09 and switched to MY10 orders.

If I recall correctly, the 09's weren't 100% 987.2 - some options on the 09s were still from the 987.1. Like steering wheel options for example. I remember being slightly annoyed that the computer wouldn't let my sales rep order the old 987.1 sports steering wheel option code with the '10. He convinced me to go for the multifunction steering wheel, and I was pleasantly surprised when I got the car to find that they switched to the new "PDK" style chunky steering wheel as standard for '10 and onwards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those productions numbers are the same ones I relied on in Jan. 2014 to begin my search for a CS. They were posted on one of the Planet-9 threads some time ago.

FWIW I bought my 2007 CS for $34k with under 40,000 miles, PASM, full leather, sport chrono package, etc., and I thought it was a fair price - for both me and the seller. Don't know if it makes any difference, but the sale/purchase was in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I'm keeping my somewhat modded 06S for now. I think the continued increase in new porsche prices has started to impact clean older cars. The air cooled have shot up. Caymans are sweet cars, despite the perceived engine issues. Plus they are "simple" when compared to today's cars. Some electronics but nothing compared to 15's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Certainly spring weather has an effect on prices of sports cars, especially in the snowy climates.
And in good economic times, it will always be thus.

My perception is that 987.1 Caymans have held their value very well in that I have not seen large percentage price drops year over year encompassing the last 4 years or so.
As an example, I purchased my '06 CS in 2010 for about $37K. It had 12.5K miles.
Today I see low mile examples advertised for around $30K. Assuming that translates to a $8K-$9K sales price difference I would say that is very low depreciation for 5 years.
I did buy mine at a very good price, and so even if the value of an '06CS has dropped $12-13K, that is still a very low amount percentage-wise.

The 987.2 was produced in even lower numbers than 987.1 (as noted above) and I predict they will hold their value even better.

Another thought I've had is that the 981 generation Cayman may actually be a boon to the desirability of the 987 generation cars.
The 981 is good. Very good. And the automotive press is constantly praising it, and so the Cayman name is often seen and used in articles, comparisons, etc.
For those that cannot afford a newer Cayman (981), or for whatever reason do not want to drop $50K+ on a sports car, the 987 generation is a relative bargain.
If prospective buyers search for automotive reviews of '06-'12 Caymans, they will find glowing praise and thus the decision to buy a 987 is very rational.
The demand is there, the supply is relatively low, and so prices stay relatively high.

That's my take.
Would love to hear more thoughts...

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Well, I am not getting good offers from dealers for my car - 26k offers for it are way below what you guys are talking about. Perhaps where you're looking at where I'm pitching are two different places.
If they are offering you $26K, they are confidant that they will sell it for at least $32K. Granted that 993 prices have sky rocketed, but they are a special case in that they are the last air cooled 911. You can buy 996s for about half the price of much older 993s.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well, I am not getting good offers from dealers for my car - 26k offers for it are way below what you guys are talking about. Perhaps where you're looking at where I'm pitching are two different places.

I'd have paid $26k for that car in a heartbeat. Local P dealer has on '08 and will not come off $30,500. I have noticed, manual transmission cars are going for $2k more than Tiptronics even though KBB says the Tip is worth more.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
In the upper Midwest and Northeast, demand is very seasonal and explodes when the weather turns warm in March/April. The demand stays strong into Summer but goes weak after Labor Day. A lot of guys have beaters and store their Porsches in Winter, and often try to sell in late Fall, so they don't have to pay that note and be bothered with storage over the winter. Then when weather turns warm in Spring, they get that urge to buy again. And Porsche buyers are more willing to travel out of state to buy now than ever before, when they get that Spring fever. All this results in higher demand and firmer pricing in Spring and Summer, even if you live on the West Coast where weather is not a factor.

So the counter strategy is to sell in Spring and buy in the Fall. Except perhaps in FL where wealthy seniors come in the Fall and leave on the Spring. Some will want to sell their Porsches in the Spring b4 they leave and buy when they come back in the Fall.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

No, my line of thought would be the oldest model year of the .2's would have prices closest to what I wanted to spend. I did not factor rarity nor minor year to year changes into that line of thought. Interesting post though, Morbo.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I would like to nail down and verify a source that provides a sales breakdown of 987.1 and 987.2 Caymans by year and sub-model in both the U.S. and Canada: Base and S from 2006 to 2008, and Base, S and R from 2009 to 2012. Good Car Bad Car shows rolled up numbers for each country rather than a breakdown by sub-model; the numbers posted by Arch are S only.

Arch, can you share where your numbers came from? Porsche certainly knows the breakdown, but is there another source we can run down and agree represents the definitive sales numbers for North America for all variants of the 987 Cayman?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts