Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems using a foam gun that covers the car in foam is becoming popular as part the detailing process. Seems covering the car in a cleansing foam that loosens dirt while (allegedly) lubricating the paint would be an effective method for cleaning the car.

But before I commit to spending the money, I'd like to hear from folks who have used it. Is it yet another gimmick to get us to spend our money? Or does it actually make the detailing process a bit easier and more effective?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It seems using a foam gun that covers the car in foam is becoming popular as part the detailing process. Seems covering the car in a cleansing foam that loosens dirt while (allegedly) lubricating the paint would be an effective method for cleaning the car.

But before I commit to spending the money, I'd like to hear from folks who have used it. Is it yet another gimmick to get us to spend our money? Or does it actually make the detailing process a bit easier and more effective?
I've been using snow foam for years. You can get ones that also dissolve iron embedded in your paint.

https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-iron-x-4-liter-1-gallon/

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been using one of the new foam guns for the past several months and can say it does a good job visually. I have no way of confirming that it does a better job than the old-fashioned hand wash but it is certainly faster and easier especially as I grow older and more challenging to do all the requisite bending, stooping, etc. involved in the traditional method. It works, is cost effective and easier so I am sticking with it and consider it a good investment.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have been using one of the new foam guns for the past several months and can say it does a good job visually. I have no way of confirming that it does a better job than the old-fashioned hand wash but it is certainly faster and easier especially as I grow older and more challenging to do all the requisite bending, stooping, etc. involved in the traditional method. It works, is cost effective and easier so I am sticking with it and consider it a good investment.
I've not tried foam, but the couple videos I've watched have it as more or a pre-wash to loosen up the dirt to reduce scratching before doing a traditional wash, thus it adds a step rather than making it simpler. Sounds like you are just spraying on the foam then rinsing it off?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not tried foam, but the couple videos I've watched have it as more or a pre-wash to loosen up the dirt to reduce scratching before doing a traditional wash, thus it adds a step rather than making it simpler. Sounds like you are just spraying on the foam then rinsing it off?
Good point. I think I'm not understanding how the foam is meant to be used. I thought once the foam is sprayed on don't you use a microfiber mitt to wash it off, therefore, eliminating the bucket step?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I hve used the foam cannon from Chemical Guys for 2-3 years. I foam the whole car, rinse. Then foam a section and use a micro fiber mit to hand wash using the 2 bucket method. I also clay twice a year. I have no discernible swirl marks.

·
Vendor
6,491 Posts

I do use a foam gun with power washer for years. It's cool. It doesn't really do any magic. You still have to use microfiber mitten to wash the dirt off. If you don't - the car will pretty much stay dirty. But foam gun makes the process a whole lot easier and quicker: Cover the car in foam. Let it sit. Do it again, in sections front, side, rear, side. Wash each section with mf mitten and bucket of clean water to loosen the dirt from mitten. I use two sided bucket, so loosen the dirt in one side then pickup fresh water from the other side/bucket

·
Vendor
6,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm new to the foam gun as well, been using it for a few months now.

Here are my steps.

1. Use pressure washer to rinse out the car
2. Use foam gun to spray soap on car
3. Use microfiber sponge to clean car, use bucket to rinse out the sponge
4. Use different sponge to clean the wheels, use same bucket to rinse out the sponge
5. Use pressure washer to rinse out the soap
6. Use California Water blade to remove the water
7. Use leaf blower to blow out excess water
8. Use microfiber cloth to dry.

I used the two bucket method for a long time, the new way with the foam gun is much faster. I haven't noticed any swirls on my car so I assume it's working fine.

IMG_0003.jpg

·
Registered
832 Posts
You guys make me feel lucky I live in AZ and CA where rain and mud are scarce. I rinse the car thoroughly, water being a cars best friend when it comes to dust and dirt. I soap up the car with one of the major brand car wash soaps and a wash mitt. I rinse the car, again with lots of water. I then dry the car with some Walmart bath towels I bought for that very purpose. And viola, it's beautiful!

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
You guys make me feel lucky I live in AZ and CA where rain and mud are scarce. I rinse the car thoroughly, water being a cars best friend when it comes to dust and dirt. I soap up the car with one of the major brand car wash soaps and a wash mitt. I rinse the car, again with lots of water. I then dry the car with some Walmart bath towels I bought for that very purpose. And viola, it's beautiful!
I use warn out Abyss bath towels to dry my car. I drive a Porsche. I must have snob appeal in my drying towels. :hilarious: (They are really warn out.)

I have two foam guns. One fits on the end of my pressure washer. The other fits on the end of the hose because sometimes I don't feel like hooking up my pressure washer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
...I have two foam guns. One fits on the end of my pressure washer. The other fits on the end of the hose because sometimes I don't feel like hooking up my pressure washer.
Never used my pressure washer on my car - bought it last year so never really thought about it. Does the pressure washer foam gun work better than the hose end one?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I started using a foam gun this year with my pressure washer and the two bucket method. Results have been very good. I also use a deironizer to rinse my black car, leaving it spotless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive been using a less exotic method. I rinse the car with a hose to try and dislodge sizable dirt from cracks, trim. Hit the car quickly with an electric leaf blower which helps pull the water/dirt out of the trim and crevices. Then use a bucket of ONR with a grit guard, single microfiber wash mitt, washing a panel or section at a time. Use a two towel edgeless microfiber to dry, and then hit the car with the leaf blower once I'm done to force out excess water and pat dry any additional moisture. on the wheels I use a speed brush and a large soft bristle brush with the ONR to keep the wheels clean, leaf blower to dry. I don't know why anyone would use a california water blade - seems like a great way to press and drag dirt across the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Never used my pressure washer on my car - bought it last year so never really thought about it. Does the pressure washer foam gun work better than the hose end one?
I don't think that there is much difference. The pressure washer foam gun is relatively low pressure compared to other nozzles that you can attach to a pressure washer. If I start a washing routine using the pressure washer I stick with the pressure washer all the way through. If I start with a hose and a bucket I stick with that. I rarely switch back and forth. That's why I have both kinds of foam guns.

I have two pressure washers. One is gas powered and the other is electric. I do not use the gas powered pressure washer on my car because I think it develops too much pressure. (That is just my opinion. I have nothing to back that up.) I suspect that the electric pressure washer is less powerful than the spray nozzles that spray your car at a car wash.

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Here are two quick photos showing what a pressure washer does -

The first photo shows foam on the car. You can regulate the amount and thickness of foam several ways but the easiest is by the water/soap mixture you put in the bottle. The foam bottle is visible at the lower edge of the photo. The bottle is on the end of the pressure washer.

The second photo shows the car rinsed off with a pressure washer.

The procedure is essentially the same as using a stall (not a drive-through) at a car wash but you don't have to feed quarters into the machine. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't know why anyone would use a california water blade - seems like a great way to press and drag dirt across the paint.
I have been using one for over a decade now with no problems. Most of the dirt has already been rinsed off, leaf blower by itself takes a very long time to dry.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One-bucket ONR with a mitt?! If you're going to one-bucket ONR, then go Garry Dean. Otherwise go two bucket. If you're going to use a leaf blower (and even then I'd recommend master blaster), then only do blower. Not really a need to blower then towel.

And some of you are drying your cars with bath towels?! What kind of savagery is this? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One-bucket ONR with a mitt?! If you're going to one-bucket ONR, then go Garry Dean. Otherwise go two bucket. If you're going to use a leaf blower (and even then I'd recommend master blaster), then only do blower. Not really a need to blower then towel.

And some of you are drying your cars with bath towels?! What kind of savagery is this? Absolutely not.
coming off an older method. just bought a foam lance.

from what Ive gathered I'm planning on:

1. Foam the body and wheels.
2. Rinse with pressure washer.
3. Pour previous ONR wash into wheel bucket, using old microfibers/speedbrush/long bristle brush. Clean wheels. Rinse with pressure washer.
4. Wash with ONR wash/wax (2 bucket or Gary Dean).
5. Dry with 2 edgeless microfiber towels.
6. Leaf blower to knock out hiding water / pat dry droplets with dryer microfiber.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts