Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am having a heck of time installing the FabSpeed exhaust tips on my 2015 Boxster S.
I unbolted the 2 nuts on the clamps holding the stock T-pipe, but I can seem to remove the stock exhaust tips.
Any advice or tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tap them 'gently' with either mallet or hammer. That will break them loose. It's the expansion and contraction of the metal that has them seized if you will.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi all,
I am having a heck of time installing the FabSpeed exhaust tips on my 2015 Boxster S.
I unbolted the 2 nuts on the clamps holding the stock T-pipe, but I can seem to remove the stock exhaust tips.

Thanks in advance.
Did you loosened up one of the two mufflers? You need to do this to get some spacing for tip removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I recently had new fabspeed sport headers and tips installed, retaining factory mufflers done at Fabspeed's facilities. They removed the old exhaust to make the job easier. They pounded on the mufflers to get the tips off on the floor for a half hour to no avail. They had to resort to heat the joint and then pound to get them apart, so they could put the new tips on. So in some cases, the car itself slows the installation.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I recently had new fabspeed sport headers and tips installed, retaining factory mufflers done at Fabspeed's facilities. They removed the old exhaust to make the job easier. They pounded on the mufflers to get the tips off on the floor for a half hour to no avail. They had to resort to heat the joint and then pound to get them apart, so they could put the new tips on. So in some cases, the car itself slows the installation.
How do you like the sport headers? Was the increased performance noticable to you?

·
Registered
706 Posts
All the above applies. My borla exhaust I could slip the tips on after the exhaust was in place with the hanger bracket loose. However the stock exhaust I could not remove the tips from one of the mufflers so I had to drop the exhaust with it still on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I just installed Fabspeed dual tips on my 2015 Cayman it's easy. You need to loosen the 2 bolts holding the exhaust tips and the 2 bolts on the straight pipe behind the tee. Next rotate the exhaust tips down and up a few times this will loosen the pipe within the pipe. This will allowi the pipes to spread apart easily in the following steps. Next you have to remove the clamps at the ends of both mufflers. You will need a female torx socket for this. Can't remember the size it's around a 10 mm. Once you have the 2 male torx bolts removed widen and slide the clamp above the connection. The exhaust pipe sits in sort of a half circle or half moon cup. Next you will spread the 2 mufflers apart with an Irwin reverse clamp. Place the Irwin reverse clamp at the bottom between the 2 mufflers it sits firmly in place without slipping off. The mufflers spread apart very easily and will allow you to remove the stock tee. When reasembling make sure the 2 arrows on the straight pipe behind the tee are at the edges of the pipe. To do this you put the muffller clamps back in place and compess the ears of the clamp in order to thread the male torx bolts. Tighten the muffler clamps and the arrows should line up. If the arrows are lined up tighten the 2 clamps on the straight pipe behind the tee. If your pipes are not centered rotate them downward and rotate in the direction you want them to move. Next rotate them back into place if they are aligned tighten bolts and you are finished.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't really know for sure that the headers added HP. I did get 33 MPG going up and down steep hills on my 500 mile trip back, so there was a 2 MPG gain there, indicating a little more low end. Since the dealer reprogrammed the instrument cluster two months ago, I have not been over 30 MPG, so this was a good thing. The 1500 miles before the headers were right at 30Mpg. Bad thing is some of the hills exhibited drone at 2K RPM under load. At part throttle and perhaps a better tank of gas, the drone went away at 2K. Again this is with the non-PSE factory rear mufflers,

Car has been parked since the trip due to bad weather and the fact that I damaged the lower plastic spoiler trim (went back on today) and I am now in the process of putting in an IPD plenum. It will probably be this weekend before the car is back on the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the detailed instructions! Much appreciated.

I just installed Fabspeed dual tips on my 2015 Cayman it's easy. You need to loosen the 2 bolts holding the exhaust tips and the 2 bolts on the straight pipe behind the tee. Next you have to remove the clamps at the ends of both mufflers. You will need a female torx socket for this. Can't remember the size it's around a 10 mm. Once you have the 2 male torx bolts removed widen and slide the clamp above the connection. The exhaust pipe sits in sort of a half circle or half moon cup. Next you will spread the 2 mufflers apart with an Irwin reverse clamp. Place the Irwin reverse clamp at the bottom between the 2 mufflers it sits firmly in place without slipping off. The mufflers spread apart very easily and will allow you to remove the stock tee. When reasembling make sure the 2 arrows on the straight pipe behind the tee are at the edges of the pipe. To do this you put the muffller clamps back in place and compess the ears of the clamp in order to thread the male torx bolts. Tighten the muffler clamps and the arrows should line up. If the arrows are lined up tighten the 2 clamps on the straight pipe behind the tee. If your pipes are not centered rotate them downward and rotate in the direction you want them to move. Next rotate them back into place if they are aligned tighten bolts and you are finished.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yea solid explanation by got cayman. As evoauto stated you can use a mallet or hammer (on a flat head screw driver) to help pound away and separate the pipes. The metal and exhaust system is quite resilient and we really needed some brute force to separate the pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
92 Posts
Lots of good replies here!

This install is usually very straight forward - loosen the muffler clamps and shake the tips until they can be broken loose and slid off of the muffler outlets. Then replace with the Fabspeed unit.

Sometimes the system is stubborn and one must resort to pulling the cat-back portion of the exhaust system off the car, and using a bit more "persuasion" to separate the sides and replace the tip.

Bolo Yeung - if you have any specific questions, please feel free to email, PM, or call me, I would be happy to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts