Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, sorry if this sound stupid but do any of you know or have done mods to the stock headers. Like for example taking them to a shop and make them catless as you can do to the stock exhaust. Is this possible ? Have anyone done this ? Will it make any changes ?

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I like the thinking here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This doesn't answer your question, and I don't mean to be rude, but the stock headers SUCK!

The best mod that you can do on them is to melt them down and make something useful out of them, like horse shoes or door stoppers.

Any money you spend on modifications you could spend on a set of quality headers that allow your car to actually breath.

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has done anything with them other than truck them of to the nearest recycling center.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know. It could turn out to be an interesting experiment. But like stated above, it might turn out to be as expensive as a new pair, when all said and done. if you do buy a new pair of headers, I would still check your idea, it could turn out to be an over looked Mod that could work out for other people in the future. p.s. just find a good welder. good luck.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Right! Do it. You will spend more on dynoing it. Do it!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Hi guys, sorry if this sound stupid but do any of you know or have done mods to the stock headers. Like for example taking them to a shop and make them catless as you can do to the stock exhaust. Is this possible ? Have anyone done this ? Will it make any changes ?

Thanks,
Ricky
One change it will get you is a check engine light (CEL) because your car will fail the catalytic convertor warm-up cycle as reported by the O2 sensors.
Removing these cats might get you a few more HP, my estimate is 5-8 max, but it might also cause a backpressure problem and you might lose power or lose it in a particular part of the power band. Once you de-cat your factory manifolds it is unlikely that you'd ever be able to re-cat them again and if there was a problem you'd have to go buy a new set from Porsche (or something aftermarket) and neither option would be cheap. While I concur that this could be "interesting" to see the results of, I don't want you to go into such an endeavor blindly...
:eek:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You know you can buy stock headers in classifieds for $300 or so. I would definitely have a plan for going back if I were to try this.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Tomasz

I agree ,someone should at least try this .I would follow

PR-S The NHP headers are $879.00 and I have heard only Great things about them .. you can get them on e-bay Please click Ebay link at top of page and then search from there, the site gets credit for you doing so.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
The NHP has the O2 bungs, so I don't believe so. However I just ordered this week and will only be certain when they are installed. Softronics
(flash/plenum just purchased but not installed) told me I will not get the CEL with this set up. What I cannot tell you with certainty is if I need the Softronic to cancel the CEL or if just attaching the O2 sensors on NHP is sufficient. If you cannot otherwise find the answer, PM me and I will let you know within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You need Softronic or similar to keep CEL off. You can flash it after you install the headers or before. Would be great if you dyno tested the NHP set or the gutted cats option.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What happens if I run it with check engine light on ? Will it affects performance or something else in the car? Also what if I run it full catless will it affect performance too ?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Full catless, you are probably looking at 10 WHP more. Its definitely the way to go if you are optimizing for power. Though it loud, smelly, and not enviromentally friendly.

CEL will have no effect on performance. It may affect your warranty as the ECU logs how many miles have been driven with the CEL on.

I believe that if you are going to get catless headers, then software flash is a must.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Speaking of this, does anyone here have a set of stock 987 boxster headers for sale that they'd like to get rid of?

If so, please PM me...

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts