Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my headlights suffer from severe micro cracks, they look terrible. I took them to the dealer and they said "sorry we've never seen anything like this before" and "what did you do to them" Short of buying new/used ones as the only option, does anyone make replacement lenses yet?

Fire

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This is a well known issue with the 981. What you are seeing is the cracking of the factory clear protective film over the lense. There are several threads and complaints about the issues over the various Porsche forums but no conclusive reason as to why some peoples cars are doing this and others not. Those under warranty have had them replaced, however its very expensive outside of warranty at about $1,500+ per light.

There was one recent thread from someone who used fine grit sandpaper to remove the cracked film and then gradually polished the lenses back to normal again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was just the clearcoat, it's the actual lense that has the micro cracks. I had them refinished and the cracks are still as awful as ever.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Even with pictures (didn't see any...) it would be hard to tell without seeing them in person.

As for sanding or polishing. be aware most if not all light housings are coated, this coating protects the plastic, remove it and the plastic begins to deteriorate... IMHO this is a temporary fix.

If the housing plastic is cracked then replacement would be the best option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi firecapt,

I posted my solution on Rennlist here: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayman-and-cayman-s-all-generations/1023862-headlight-scratches.html

While not for the faint of heart, my solution worked fine and I would recommend it. I actually wish I had spent a little more time on the passenger side, but I did it first for a reason. I don't see it every time I get in the car.

Not in the post is further learning that the scratch/crack problem has to do with HID's run long in the rain. When I picked up my '14 CS in Atlanta the lights were just fine. I drove 2000 miles to Phoenix often in the rain in the dark. Some stints where 13 hours with only fluid in/out breaks for the Cayman and me. (Did I mention I love my Cayman?) The cracking showed up about 6 months later. The HID lights were/are awesome, and I have the PDLS as well. Replacement "shells" run $1800 at Suncoast. My solution was under $300 but took about 10 hours of my time. PM me if you want more details.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had mine replaced twice under warranty on my 2014. It only gets delaminated on the black coloring around the edges. My car is only driven 3 days out of the week to a coverer parking spot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good for your snoopy. My local dealer wouldn't cover them blaming Porsche corporate. Local AZPCA sponsor wanted $500 to fix. I guess I should have let them as my 10 hours and $300 exceeded that. I do have the satisfaction of a DIY FWIY.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My dealer is asking $889 to replace them even though I brought it up when the warranty was about to expire. I didn't know about the issue before that. Should I replace them?

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you're experiencing the delamination, new ones are going to do the same thing.
It’s possible, but not guaranteed. Mine don’t have this issue, so that is proof that not all of these have the issue. I’d expect that Porsche would have addressed this issue by now considering the cost.

Anyways, if I did have the issue, I’d have them replaced no matter what the chances are of having a repeat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts