Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning to do a 987 to 997 retrofit

I need to know what type of headlights do i have
My low beam is factory HID with projector. And high beam is a regular halogen . I also have a headlight washer.

Buying new headlights require for me to indicate what type of headlights i have.

Can anyone help? I have a 2005 boxster S

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I am not certain about 2005 model, but my 07 BS with preferred plus package is the bi-xenon version.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I think the bi-xenon for gen 1 is one hid xenon with a moving shutter for hi/lo and an auxiliary halogen for high. I don't think there is a version with two hid lamps.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I think the bi-xenon for gen 1 is one hid xenon with a moving shutter for hi/lo and an auxiliary halogen for high. I don't think there is a version with two hid lamps.
AFAIK, this is exactly right, HID on low and halogen for high...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
My 997.2 has corner-swivel headlights with an HID low beam and a additional halogen for high beam. Almost certain our 987.2 is exactly the same setup, but would have to check to confirm (it's not my DD).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this mean my car with halogen High beam and low beam HID makes my car having "Xenon Option" not halogen option? so standard non HID mean both low and high are halogen?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Does this mean my car with halogen High beam and low beam HID makes my car having "Xenon Option" not halogen option? so standard non HID mean both low and high are halogen?
Bi-Xenon is the term you are looking for, and which your car seems to have. Without this option both Hi and Lo beam are halogen...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Left and right low beams....bi-xenon. Reminds me of my housing development that was advertised as having 2 swimming pools. Come to find out one of them is the kiddie pool....

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Just to add to the confusion. I believe what bi-xenon indicates is that the xenon lamp has a shutter to change the pattern between high and low beam. This is in addition to the aux halogen high beam. If you stand beside the car and switch between high and low you should be able to hear a thunk from when the solenoid moves the shutter. I think the bi prefix is there to denote this beam change versus one which has a low beam pattern only.

I don't know if Porsche ever did this or not but some older BMW's with bi-xenon didn't use the halogen for anything besides the headlight flash function. The xenon provided sufficient light for both. Always thought it a bit silly looking. Maybe it was a US only feature. And the halogen does provide some extra useful light on high despite how good the xenon is alone. Handy for rural driving with kamikaze wildlife.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Bi-xenon and Litronic are the same thing. Just Porsche name for it, I think. There were only 2 options for headlights, halogen or xenon.

But your headlight has the xenon low beam. When you pull the stalk back, it should be both xenon high and halogen high. Push the stalk forward and it should be xenon high only.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
For my 2008 anyway they work like this. Lights off pushing the stalk forward does nothing. Pulling it back turns on the halogen. With lights on pushing the stalk forward turns on the halogen and flips the hid shutter to high. Pulling the stalk back turns on the halogen and flips the hid shutter to high.

Interestingly the hid shutter works lights on or off when pulling the stalk back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts