Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Headlight Problems?

7K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  PG-IN 
#1 ·
I just noticed this on my 15 GTS only on the right side headlight.
Is there a fix for this or do I need to replace the headlight?
If I need to replace the light I am wondering ignition comp insurance would pay for it ?
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle

Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

See less See more
#2 ·
That is the beginning of the famous 981/991 model years headlight "crazing". It will get very bad with time, and in most cases is not covered under any extended warranty because they will claim its cosmetic. Headlight Lens Crazing

Its the factory lense coating adhesive that is breaking down, so some have had good success removing the lights and gradually sanding the coating completely off and then polish the lenses back out. Its a common enough issue that a guy over on Rennlist now provides a replacement service for the lenses, and can also black out the chrome trim for you while in there. His service is similar to what the guy from Pedro's Garage is doing for the warped door panel issue that is the other big failures on these cars. RENNLIGHTS – Porsche Headlights – Repair Replace Headlight Covers

#4 ·
Purely anecdotal on my part, but less than 50% chance based on the majority of discussions I have read on P car forums over years. A few have been able to get it done, but the majority have been declined. Many think of CPO as a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Its not, but it can't hurt to try.

#7 ·
Yes, its sad that we have to worry about issues on these cars that no other car no matter how cheaply made or old will ever have. It all seems to revolve around the crap "environmentally friendly" adhesives that Europe is forced to use.

Door panel warping, crazing headlights, headliner falling down, glue around front/back windows liquefying and running out onto the paint like tar, foam in HVAC system coming undone and blowing out of vents. All of these goofy failures have one thing in common. Failing adhesive of some sort

#11 ·
I was told No from the dealer because it’s cosmetic and doesn’t effect the functionality of the headlights. Unlike a door panel warping which may effect the window operation.
hope you have better luck!

#12 ·
Working for dealerships for over 50 years I have insight to the way they work .
All manufacturers have what they call a Goodwill policy which they give each dealer so much each month to Goodwill warranty for customer satisfaction.
Porsche is the only manufacturer that makes the dealer replace the tires if they are over 6 years past their manufacturing date.
Even if they are new old stock.

#14 ·
My 2014 Cayman S headlight covers were delaminating. I took to the body shop I use. He has a guy who comes in, pulls the headlamp assembly, removes the coating and resprays it. It cost under $200 for both headlights. Try calling high end body and paint shops. Now I need to find a inexpensive fix for my headliner.

#15 ·
I also was denied for the headlight delamination. I ended up getting these decals and they look good.

Had I known you could get the headlights sanded, polished and sprayed for $200, I might have done that instead.

#16 ·
Mine had those too to start. It's a very common UV coating issue and easy to fix with a little patience, elbow grease, the right tools and no help from a dealer or Porsche. Long story short, mine were a few months out of warranty when I noticed while washing it. The dealer servicing it for 6 years didn't catch it, then completely bailed on me while asking them for help. Local dealer said Porsche offered $500 toward a $6000 repair and the dealer offered free labor for a grand total of $5000. It takes about 30 mins MAX to swap them. The excuse that it's cosmetic is complete BS when they know it's a failure and it is more than cosmetic when it hinders the light hitting the street.

Check this thread on Rennlist where I posted my process for fixing it. What you see will get worse.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/821002-micro-cracks-on-headlight.html

Good luck, but I would start looking for ways to fix it yourself.

#19 ·
That's great! I thought I did too, with my dealer. They've not ever called me back after my call to them, the week I found the problem. Hope it works out. 6 year relationship, down the drain. And I would expect it to happen to the new ones, so be on the lookout.

#21 ·
I worked for dealerships for over 40 years and dealers have a thing called goodwill which allows them to warranty parts and service not usually covered by factory warranty.
It also allows them to warranty even though the warranty is up.
Each manufacturer allows a percentage each month to keep customers as customers.
If Porsche denies fixing this problem I have several avenues that I can use and I am ok with paying something but not the whole amount.
I have bought several cars from this dealer as they have Mercedes,Audi as well as the Porsche franchise.
I have greased many wheels at all the franchises .
I ll keep everyone in the loop.

#25 ·
Was at the dealership today Porsche said No as it is cosmetic however the service manager said they would goodwill it first he is going again to get Porsche to warranty it as I am complaining that dirt is getting inside the light.
Affecting the light effectiveness causing problems with night driving.
That’s the latest will keep the forum enformed

#27 ·
Product Font Screenshot Material property Technology

Ok latest update
Called my contact at the dealership and then got a call from the service manager.
Porsche is replacing my headlight under warranty.
Guess I will be taking the Franklin brothers with me when my light comes in.
Also getting a loaner car as I am having all my wheels painted gloss back to match
my new center caps.

#33 ·
Well, actually I’m guessing this is a goodwill the dealer is providing because they are allowed a certain dollar amount per year to spend on customer goodwill repairs. I doubt Porsche is covering it as warranty. They may be saying that, but I doubt it in reality.

My local dealer, told me as much regarding the dollars Porsche allows them to spend and said they have to decide strategically where to spend it. Since I had never serviced it there, they decided they’d do it for just parts cost and $500 discount from Porsche, making it $5000 out of my pocket. Not…

The servicing dealer for 6 years, Kings, told me they’d get with the rep to check it out, and I’ve never heard from them since even after several calls to the service manger afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 · (Edited)
Those are cool, especially since I have a racing yellow Cayman:)

I switched out my front badge to an authentic factory badge that has been switched to silver instead of gold (1st image below), so I wanted to source similar badges for the wheel platinum satin wheel crest. Couldn't find badges that small, but did locate someone selling silver version on E Bay with black outlines but no color. They were made to stick over the factory crest with thin double sided tape however there still stuck up a couple mm further and it drove me crazy.

I removed the gold factory colored crest and to my surprise the E bay version were essentially the identical metal in every way, so I hand painted and cleared coated the candy burgundy red details to match my hood crest colors and appearance ,and glued them in

Guitar accessory Font Badge Crest Shield
Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Plant Crest Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Reactions: canux
#34 ·
Whether they good will it or warranty it doesn’t matter to me.
Before I retired I work at dealers got over 40 years and know what miracles dealers came perform.
I have bought several cars from this dealer franchises and they do all my service work.
Plus treating the personal the right way has a lot of weight in getting things done.
I usually take my buddy Andrew with me when I go however when this repair is made I think I need to take the Franklin Brothers with me.
I am also paying to color change my wheels and they are giving me a loaner car.
When I bought my 2020 Dodge Scat Charger I had their MB dealership tint my windows and the gave me a Mercedes loaner car got the day.
Treat people right and a little spiffing goes a long way.

#35 ·
Whether they good will it or warranty it doesn’t matter to me.
Before I retired I work at dealers got over 40 years and know what miracles dealers came perform.
I have bought several cars from this dealer franchises and they do all my service work.
Plus treating the personal the right way has a lot of weight in getting things done.
I usually take my buddy Andrew with me when I go however when this repair is made I think I need to take the Franklin Brothers with me.
I am also paying to color change my wheels and they are giving me a loaner car.
When I bought my 2020 Dodge Scat Charger I had their MB dealership tint my windows and the gave me a Mercedes loaner car got the day.
Treat people right and a little spiffing goes a long way.
Agree. If you are implying I somehow treated them badly and failure to even communicate is some how my fault, you’re completely mistaken. I was always treated right before this. And I feel a treated them right as well. I don’t know a stranger so I always try to make friends of people doing any kind of service for me. I had the same service writer each time and we were on first name basis.

This service manager just failed me for no or no good reason.

#36 ·
I am not saying you So don’t take it personal
Some people are just plain rude working for a dealership I have run in to a few .
Plus working as a manager I can honestly say their are good managers and their are managers that need to be more customer friendly.
Price is a incentive but if you don’t get the service what did you save ?
I would rather pay more for great customer friendly service !!!!

#38 ·
Ok. I didn’t think you were saying that but wasn’t 100% sure.

And yes I agree. I have friends and family that are embarrassing to be in a setting like a restaurant with them. How rude they can be.

I’ve had many nieces who worked as waiters and I know how hard it can be. And I’ve worked retail early in life, so I know first hand. I think that’s why I try to make friends with those doing a service for me. I loved those kinds of customers in my careers dealing with the public.

And I also agree, I’m happy to pay for great service. And, in the case of the dealership, I did. But when it all hit the fan, I was the one left with no support, whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.