Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tinted their headlights / driving lights?
I tried this 'smoked' package from suncoast. It is actually manufactured by laminx.

1. don't install it when it's 50 degrees out, even if that's unusually warm for the end of December. The glue just gums up and the material never achieves the level of pliability required for a good install even with plenty of blow dryer heating.

2. they are purple'ish. what's with that? never saw purple smoke and I don't think that I am a fan. I do however like the contrast now present between the silver in the lights and the brilliant arctic silver paint, just think that I need to find a better tint.

... any advice, you 'tinters' out there?

·
Registered
346 Posts
i did mine, it looks great! but I live in a hot country and it becomes too hot with my HID on, so overtime there were small spider web like cracks that formed, I only noticed when i removed the sticker to replace a new one, I ended up putting a new one to hide the spider web cracks, also the light is not as bright with tint (obviously)

If i were to do it again, I would probably not have done it to prevent the cracks, maybe this would not have happened if i didn't install HID, but looks wise, it looks really nice especially with matte black hood

·
Revhead
366 Posts
Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I've never understood why anyone would knowingly want to reduce their visibility at night. Manufacturers (well, the good ones at least) spend a lot of time and money optimizing vehicle lighting systems to give you the very best opportunity to see as far and as clearly as possible, and I simply cannot fathom the desire to undo all their efforts in favor of some marginal aesthetic effect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay .. you're a fuddy-duddy

A fuddy-duddy, sometimes without the hyphen,[SUP][1][/SUP] is a person who is fussy while old-fashioned, traditionalist, conformist, or conservative, sometimes almost to the point of eccentricity or geekiness. It is a slang term, mildly derogatory but sometimes affectionate too, that dates to ca. 1907[SUP][2][/SUP] and can be used to describe someone with a zealous focus on order.[SUP][3][/SUP] (reference Wikipedia)

The primary purpose of the 'tint' was/is to lessen the adverse effects of the numerous sand, stones, rocks that are being propelled against the only unprotected parts of my car. Certainly, that is something worthy of old fashioned traditionalist values. Secondly, I took that opportunity to test, to see, if it was agreeable to my aesthetics whether the tint included in the protective layer was acceptable, it was not on this we agree.

I will however, continue to whiten my teeth, regardless of your opinion of its marginal aesthetic effect or your traditionalist conformist views :)

·
Revhead
366 Posts
Clear protective material I can understand, though it's likely that no film will be totally without distortion or light reduction, but any sort of tint must, by definition, reduce the amount of transmitted light, and thus the light's effectiveness.

I guess if one lived in an urban environment and never ventured into areas without street lighting, then an argument could be made for aesthetics over function, and of course it's each to his own, but I spent far too much time as a lad improving the light output of my vehicles to ever consider intentionally reducing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts