Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

The headlights in my 2008 Cayenne (standard, non xenon) are very dim on low beam and only average(?) brightness in high beam. Someone suggested that the lights might be in daytime running light mode. I think that this has been going on since new(5 months ago) but I didn't notice it until the time change. I realize this is a warranty issue but since my dealer is about six hours away, I was hoping someone would have a simple fix for this. I have already checked fuses. No warning/indicator lights are showing. I appreciate any helpful suggestions!

Mark

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hello

The headlights in my 2008 Cayenne (standard, non xenon) are very dim on low beam and only average(?) brightness in high beam. Someone suggested that the lights might be in daytime running light mode. I think that this has been going on since new(5 months ago) but I didn't notice it until the time change. I realize this is a warranty issue but since my dealer is about six hours away, I was hoping someone would have a simple fix for this. I have already checked fuses. No warning/indicator lights are showing. I appreciate any helpful suggestions!

Mark
Do you have photos of your car with the headlights on (without flash)? What type of headlights did your previous car have?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have no experience with Cayenne headlights, but members with halogens on Caymans report that the lights are good enough. Not as good as Xenons obviously but good enough!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any pictures of the headlights. It is hard to tell the difference by just looking at the lights. The dimness doesn't become obvious until it is driven on the highway. Pulling alongside another vehicle on the freeway at night (any vehicle), the weakness of the lights is clear. My previous vehicle, a 2001 Toyota Sequoia with non-xenon lights, had very bright low beams as well as high beams. The service folks that I have talked with think it is a headlight control unit, which may need to be reprogramed.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may be your lights are not adjusted properly.....This may be a programming issue, I'm not sure.
I bought the wife a 2009 VW Golf and the first thing I noticed was that the headlights seemed dim on the highway. What it turned out to be was that the car was set up to European specs. I readjusted them to NA specs and they were fine.
NelsonMX

·
Registered
283 Posts
Daytime running lights (DRL) are usually reduced high beams so as to preserve the low beams which you will manually turn on at night. But Porsche, in case of my 07 Cayman, has full blast low beams as DRL.
Talk to the dealer before you drive over.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
On the 911 and 987, If you have PCM and SC, you can turn DRL's on and off via the PCM settings menu. I'm not sure about the Cayenne, but perhaps it's worth checking out first!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Cycledoc,

Might you have them in the "auto" position? My '05 has the xeons and it seems to me (mind you, only "seems") that my mights might be dimmer when set to that first indentation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have tried the lights in all settings and no change in brightness. I will post the outcome of this when the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Up-date on the headlight problem: I had the dealer check the lights last Friday and they found both low beam bulbs were blistered on upper and lower part of the bulb(180 degress apart). Because the bulbs weren't burnt out, none of the indicators on the dash were displayed. Also the diagnostic instruments showed everything normal. The tech described driving the vehicle in the dark(7:00AM) as driving by candlelight. So they replaced the bulbs and now everything looks great!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts