Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had installed today by TK Autosports in Millville N.J..............Safety Bar along with seats, sliders, and belts. Ready for spring!

hb1.jpg hb2.jpg hb3.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really nice.. It´s not taking much space so you still can bring your golfclubs in the cayman :) Hmm, does the strut behind the seats limit the seats to go to back all way?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure..............will not pick up the car until next Saturday.............I'll let you know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really nice.. It´s not taking much space so you still can bring your golfclubs in the cayman :) Hmm, does the strut behind the seats limit the seats to go to back all way?
I have new seats installed.............the drivers side is on a slider...........passenger side is fixed and in the far back position. It seems as though the strut is not in the way. It is an extremely tight fit. The roll bar is actually touching the headliner. Quite a bit of cutting of several plastic panels was necessary. The tech that installed this for me explained that it would be a pretty tough DIY. I'm very pleased with the care he took to make it look as factory s possible.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
If you don't mind would you reveal the install cost of the half cage. Thanx

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind would you reveal the install cost of the half cage. Thanx
My Indy shop installed it as a package along with the seats, slider, and belts. He charges $100 per hour for labor. Although I didn't get a itemized breakdown, I recall him saying the half-cage took approximately 4 hours. Keep in mind, he has previous experience in taking this section of the car apart. My son and I have a very well equipped shop at our home and perform most maint and repairs ourselves. My tech explained that this project would be a difficult DIY, especially due to the amount of cutting. It was well worth paying him to do this job for us.

He had another 981CS where he had attached the belts to the cross member behind the seats. Looked good enough if you are not looking for the added protection for a roll bar. I have a picture of this on a previous thread. It also come up in a Google search.

·
3,078 Posts
He had another 981CS where he had attached the belts to the cross member behind the seats. Looked good enough if you are not looking for the added protection for a roll bar. I have a picture of this on a previous thread. It also come up in a Google search.
You mean this one where he cut the carpet, similar to what is done factory-wise for the ROW CS package?

50135d1407768971-harnesses-cayman-gts-carbon-buckets-belts.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, actually looked solid. The only cutting required is the carpet and only two holes need to be drilled as there are already some factory mount points on the cross member. Probably not a bad why to go for the occasional DE. Or, if you don't want to cut the plastic pieces which might later need to be replaced. $$$$. I was looking for the added protection of the roll bar yet keep it street legal. If and when I decide to sell my car, it will be sold with the Heigo installed.

·
3,078 Posts
Yes, actually looked solid. The only cutting required is the carpet and only two holes need to be drilled as there are already some factory mount points on the cross member. Probably not a bad why to go for the occasional DE. Or, if you don't want to cut the plastic pieces which might later need to be replaced. $$$$. I was looking for the added protection of the roll bar yet keep it street legal. If and when I decide to sell my car, it will be sold with the Heigo installed.
I already checked on the prices of those 4 interior pieces that are cut and was told it be in the $200 neighborhood for all.

When you are talking about hole drilling, factory mount points; that makes me wonder what would be needed for a harness attachment - nut, washer and bolt?

Here is what it looks like from the factory if you get the factory clubsport kit.

·
3,078 Posts
Maybe I will get lucky enough during the factory tour to see those attach points in the firewall prior to carpet install.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe I will get lucky enough during the factory tour to see those attach points in the firewall prior to carpet install.
Only if you are touring the factory in Osnabrück, since that's the only place the Cayman's are assembled.

·
3,078 Posts
Only if you are touring the factory in Osnabrück, since that's the only place the Cayman's are assembled.
Damn. Brain fart again on my end. Thanx for catching that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already checked on the prices of those 4 interior pieces that are cut and was told it be in the $200 neighborhood for all.

When you are talking about hole drilling, factory mount points; that makes me wonder what would be needed for a harness attachment - nut, washer and bolt?

Here is what it looks like from the factory if you get the factory clubsport kit.

Wow, looks like what TJ from TK Autosports did to the other "14" CS he had in his shop. Yes, use the factory hardware and drill two holes adding the appropriate grade hardware to attach the belts to. As far as cutting the panels, he also cut the center panel that has the brushed aluminum bar on top. At least in my case I would need to replace 5 panels.

·
3,078 Posts
Wow, looks like what TJ from TK Autosports did to the other "14" CS he had in his shop. Yes, use the factory hardware and drill two holes adding the appropriate grade hardware to attach the belts to. As far as cutting the panels, he also cut the center panel that has the brushed aluminum bar on top. At least in my case I would need to replace 5 panels.
It looks like no need to add hardware based on those pics, wrap the belts around a tubular bar if its there. Adding hardware would make the belt hardware stick out of the carpet cut. Or it would require bending the harness attach points 90 degrees to use additional hardware. Somehow we need to figure out a way to get more details.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks like no need to add hardware based on those pics, wrap the belts around a tubular bar if its there. Adding hardware would make the belt hardware stick out of the carpet cut. Or it would require bending the harness attach points 90 degrees to use additional hardware. Somehow we need to figure out a way to get more details.
I'll try to get the details from my Indy tech.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts