Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Thought I'd say hello and tell my story of how I actually (still cant believe it) am due to be the owner of a brand new porsche cayman!

Having owned an Audi TT 2.0TDi for almost 5 years (bought her new at the end of 2009) and as much as I loved her, Shes had a few coughing fits recently and having bought the mrs an merecedes A class to replace her Fiesta, thought id treat myself.

In all honesty i never really considered a porsche, thinking it was way above my price range. I was aware of the cayman but it never really occured to me as a real option.

So I took my wife and I to one Porsche showroom, who didnt take me seriously (called me an eastender trying his luck!) and wouldnt even allow me to test drive the car till I spoke financials. It just felt like I wasted his time.

So off I went to another Porsche showroom, having seen the exterior of the cayman and feeling a bit gutted honestly for being treated in such way. I was considering an F-Type Jag also previously, (but a little bit too expensive for me at this point).

I have fallen in love with the look of the cayman at this point. Its such a sexy car. So had to try another porsche dealer.

Anyway, got to the second porsche dealer, spoke of my woes that I encountered at the first dealer and actually had a real top bloke. Not only was he a down to earth guy, he sorted me a very fair deal and without hesitation took me for a test drive, and a proper test drive.

What a amazing car. In fact, i didnt know you could go around a roundabout at 70mph and survive and believe me, the salesman did it! The car just gripped!

I was seriously blown away with the cayman and as much as the mrs wants to ring my neck I didnt care, Not buying this car was nit an option. I just cant wait to take delivery. Build confirmed for November 20th so I should receive 2 weeks or so thereafter fingers crossed.

I was budget conscious so my spec isnt the best by any standards compared to others but its my first porsche, and flat 6 engine and more than happy with it.

I got:

[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Cayman
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 38,865.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Exterior Colour
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Black
[/TD]
[TD]A1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 0.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Interior Colour
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Black alcantara inlays with leatherette seats
[/TD]
[TD]AD
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 0.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Exterior
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]ParkAssist rear
[/TD]
[TD]635
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 348.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Deletion of model designation
[/TD]
[TD]498
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 0.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Transmission / Chassis
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]6-speed manual transmission
[/TD]
[TD]480
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 0.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Wheels
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
[/TD]
[TD]427
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 2,670.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Interior
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Seat heating
[/TD]
[TD]342
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 284.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Sports seats (2-way, electric)
[/TD]
[TD]P08
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 0.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Alcantara interior
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]SportDesign steering wheel in Alcantara

[/TD]
[TD]XLK
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 260.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Audio / Communications
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Preparation for mobile phone
[/TD]
[TD]619
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 446.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]BOSE® Surround Sound System
[/TD]
[TD]680
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]£ 801.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Others
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Third Year Warranty
[/TD]
[TD]W02
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 660.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Third Year Porsche Assistance
[/TD]
[TD]A01
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 169.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Total Price*
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]£ 44,503.0

[/TD]
[/TR]

Well thats my story all. Looking forward to picking up the car and posting a lot more moving forward as I get to grips to what seems like such a quality vehicle. How's everybody else's experience been with their Cayman's?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Congrats!

That's a real shame about the first dealer. Why would they treat you like that? Glad you found a better option and loved the car though!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
There is an advantage to working with the same dealership for years and years. They know you and they know you are serious about getting a car. Anyway, congratulations on your new Cayman and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There is an advantage to working with the same dealership for years and years. They know you and they know you are serious about getting a car. Anyway, congratulations on your new Cayman and welcome to the forum.
Based on my many visits to the US, you appear to have a much better grasp of the concept of customer service than we do here in the UK. Like the OP, I too have been treated with barely veiled contempt by car sales people - and not just Porsche dealerships.

OP - welcome to Porsche ownership. You will love it.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
As for salespeople... well... some are obviously better than others. The first one I dealt with basically ignored me. All I asked was for her to call me if certain colour combinations showed up on the lot and then I never heard back. I talked to another SA at the same dealer and found out there was a car there I'd specifically asked to see.

That SA was then excellent to deal with until it came time to actually place an order. Then it was just salesman-speak to no end while I tried to get a price. I never ended up even getting a price out of him!! I liked him. I think that maybe he just thought his tactics would eventually lead to a sale and probably didn't realize how frustrated I was getting.

Ultimately, the SA I bought from was from a different dealer and we made the deal over Internet chat, email, and two phone calls with no hassle at all. I didn't actually meet him in person until a couple months later, and he was just as nice in person as my impression of him had been over the other mediums.

There's all kinds out there. You just need to find the one that works best with you.

I'm glad you didn't give up on Porsche because of the initial bad experience. You'd have only hurt yourself. They'd have never thought twice about it if they never saw you again, and you'd be the one driving something other than what you really wanted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried to break the salesman that I was genuine and not a tyre kicker, but although polite, he would not put the keys into my hands, and didn't even offer a test drive, I wasn't dressed in a suit and tie, so he probably thought I wasn't genuine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts