Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I have something I want to get an opinion/guidance on. I've never owned a Porsche but I have owned several sports cars in my lifetime; some cars include M3's, GTR's, GTO, Nismo Z, etc. Among those cars I had both manual trans and sequential gearbox. After owning two GTR's (2012 BE and 2013 Prem), I don't feel like I can go backwards in power and performance and I don't want another GTR.

It has always been a goal to one day own a Porsche, but not just any Porsche, a GT3. I had considered getting a used 997 GT3 at one point about 5 years ago, but didn't feel I was ready for that car. Then, Porsche launched the 991 GT3 and I instantly feel in love with it. I'm not technically ready to buy one today, but my goal is to get one within the next 12 months. Now, I know the 2nd gen 991 GT3 is imminent and that will potentially have an affect on the used market for the 991 GT3.1. So, here are my questions:

1. Should I buy a used GT3 or wait until I can get a new one?
2. If used, which model year? 2015 or 2016? Certified or non-certified? What's the max I should pay for one?
3. How long will it take to get acclimated to a GT3 based on the previous cars I've owned?
4. Are maintenance costs similar to a GTR or more/less expensive?
5. Any known issues with the PDK in the current GT3?

Lastly, what type of treatment can I expect from Porsche dealers' when I inquire about buying a GT3?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm new to the forum and I have something I want to get an opinion/guidance on. I've never owned a Porsche but I have owned several sports cars in my lifetime; some cars include M3's, GTR's, GTO, Nismo Z, etc. Among those cars I had both manual trans and sequential gearbox. After owning two GTR's (2012 BE and 2013 Prem), I don't feel like I can go backwards in power and performance and I don't want another GTR.

It has always been a goal to one day own a Porsche, but not just any Porsche, a GT3. I had considered getting a used 997 GT3 at one point about 5 years ago, but didn't feel I was ready for that car. Then, Porsche launched the 991 GT3 and I instantly feel in love with it. I'm not technically ready to buy one today, but my goal is to get one within the next 12 months. Now, I know the 2nd gen 991 GT3 is imminent and that will potentially have an affect on the used market for the 991 GT3.1. So, here are my questions:

1. Should I buy a used GT3 or wait until I can get a new one?
2. If used, which model year? 2015 or 2016? Certified or non-certified? What's the max I should pay for one?
3. How long will it take to get acclimated to a GT3 based on the previous cars I've owned?
4. Are maintenance costs similar to a GTR or more/less expensive?
5. Any known issues with the PDK in the current GT3?

Lastly, what type of treatment can I expect from Porsche dealers' when I inquire about buying a GT3?
1. The lineup has already formed for 991.2 GT3s...if you're not already on the list, the chances of getting one in the first run is slim (unless you'll pay over MSRP).
2. The answer depends on what options you want, whether you are OK with one that has been tracked, your mileage threshold, and price point. Get the newest and best one you can afford...and find.
3. impossible to say without knowing your driving skill level...and what you plan to do with it. A RWD GT3 on the track is an entirely different animal than an AWD GTR.
4. I'd say about equivalent.
5. Don't know...best visit a GT3-only forum for the inside scoop.

Without some prior relationship buying or servicing cars at a Porsche dealer, or expressing that you're OK paying whatever amount over MSRP they want to charge, consider yourself fortunate if dealers politely advise that they already have lists that have more names on them than the number of cars they will likely receive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'm definitely not optimistic about getting a new GT3. Considering I've never owned a Porsche, let alone a GT3, I figure getting a used 991.1 GT3 would be the better (and cheaper) approach. If I love the car then I can always upgrade to the 991.2 later on. I'm really at a point with cars where not a lot of cars impress me anymore within the $100-$150k price point. So, with that said, I feel (hope) that Porsche is what I've been missing and what I need to get reinvigorated. I need a car with SOUL and I haven't felt much of that since my E46 M3's days.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The 991.1 GT3 is a great car.......but, there are numerous reports of premature cam wear on cars being driven on track (HPDEs). Definitely should research the issue before you buy. So far they are being fixed under warranty. Best bet is a 2016 "G" and CPO warranty. It's noteworthy that the 991.2 GT3 has a different valve train (solid lifters vs hydraulic). A track buddy got the misfire codes on his 2015 at COTA this past weekend. Swapped plugs and coil packs but the issue returned. He was headed to the dealer for diagnosis. Very few if any PDK-S issues reported. As stated there are already long "lists" for the .2 GT3. Given your history and statement of not wanting to go back on power, maybe test drive a 911 Turbo S? The GT3 makes good power but has to rev, it feels weak at low rpms. You just need to shift down, it is pretty impressive ripping off 9k rpm upshifts. The ultimate 911 will be the GT2, but will likely be even harder to get than a GT3. Best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually ok with going 'back' to a high revving motor. I had both E46 M3 & E92 M3 and, while the power/tq is weak down low, the experience is surreal beyond 4000rpm. As far as the price to pay for a used 991.1 GT3 at 2015 MY with less than 15k miles, whats roughly the max I should pay? I see that prices are still above original MSRP but hoping that will change within the next 12 months.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are you stuck on just GT3's? Have you considered buying a new Carrera S or slightly used turbo? I can understand the love affair with the GT3 though, they not only look great but are badass cars.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you stuck on just GT3's? Have you considered buying a new Carrera S or slightly used turbo? I can understand the love affair with the GT3 though, they not only look great but are badass cars.

Honestly, I haven't considered a Carrera because I felt like I should go for an elite car. The Turbo is definitely elite, but isn't it way more expensive than a GT3? My budget when I'm ready cannot exceed $130k-150K.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Honestly, I haven't considered a Carrera because I felt like I should go for an elite car. The Turbo is definitely elite, but isn't it way more expensive than a GT3? My budget when I'm ready cannot exceed $130k-150K.
True, if you want the elite badge of a turbo S it's going to cost a lot. I would suggest heading to a dealership and test drive a couple versions of the 911/Carrera and see what really fits you. The GT3 with it's wing of course has its own look. These days all the 911's from the $90k base model have sub 4-second 0-60 time's and you have to read the rear badging to tell the difference. Most people buy the turbo/turbo S simply to show they can afford it and they are more collectible.

Reactions: cobby

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. I guess I should test drive some of the 911 variants before I fully declare that I have to have a GT3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Curious: Why do you not want another GTR?
Well, I've had two GTR's and I want something different. Now, if I'm left with no choice but to get another GTR, then, yea, I'll definitely get one. When I see the GT3, when I watch videos of it and read about it, it gives me that 'warm and fuzzy' I haven't had in a while with a sports car. The GTR is a brute; it’s super-fast, got tons of grip, but it’s not the most engaging car out there due to AWD, the electronics and software aids. Yes, the raw performance of it makes up for some of the lost engagement/connection, but, at the end of the day you want to drive a car that you feel totally in-tune with. I've always been a proponent of writing down my goals and/or keeping them in front of me, and attached is a capture of my desktop (Literally, LOL)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
2015 GT3's are in your range of ~ $150K, I think 12 months later is a great time to pick up a GT3. The 991.2 GT3's will be out and some current owners will trade up to get a manual 991.2 GT3. The market might be flooded with PDK 991.1 GT3's, it's supply and demand. So the price might drop down to ~ $130K. The opposite can happened as well, the demand for 991.2 GT3's are so high that it demands $20K-30K over MSRP, then the market for 991.1 GT3's will remain high and not much of a price drop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2015 GT3's are in your range of ~ $150K, I think 12 months later is a great time to pick up a GT3. The 991.2 GT3's will be out and some current owners will trade up to get a manual 991.2 GT3. The market might be flooded with PDK 991.1 GT3's, it's supply and demand. So the price might drop down to ~ $130K. The opposite can happened as well, the demand for 991.2 GT3's are so high that it demands $20K-30K over MSRP, then the market for 991.1 GT3's will remain high and not much of a price drop.
Yea, I'm definitely counting on the former scenario. Oh, and I really hate the fact that 16-year old YouTube'rs are buying brand new GTR's as their first sports car, SMH. I'm 37 and I don't want to be trolled by young kids or have sub 21-year old's with GTR's trying to start a GTR club with me :-( (No offense to young sports car owners).

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yea, I'm definitely counting on the former scenario. Oh, and I really hate the fact that 16-year old YouTube'rs are buying brand new GTR's as their first sports car, SMH. I'm 37 and I don't want to be trolled by young kids or have sub 21-year old's with GTR's trying to start a GTR club with me :-( (No offense to young sports car owners).
At 37 yo, you'll fit right in with the sub-21 year old's. :hilarious: You could be their leader. Glad you are coming over to the Porsche side, at 37, you are probably the youngest but Porsche guys love people at all ages.

·
Registered
310 Posts
2 GT3's at Porsche of Annapolis, huge price difference even though only 2 years difference, both badass cars.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
^ They are different models which is the reason for the price delta more so than the model year. The Lava orange car is an RS (4.0l, more aero etc.). It will be interesting to see how the 14 GT3s fare in the market. There are not many of them and they all have replacement engines and some extra warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw those listings on cars.com. I know I should probably appreciate the white one with the Martini vinyl, but I would have it removed ASAP. When I enter the market to buy one it will have to be a 2015 or 2016 with certified warranty. I'm planning to keep the car at least 2-3 years and then upgrade to a 991.2 GT3.

·
Registered
785 Posts
What are you going to do with a GT3?
Track, road or just look at it in your garage?
If Track, then wait for a new one with finances, doesn't make sense to purchase used then new?
Road, it's not a cruiser despite what owners tell you. Drive one.
Road, best value is a 991.2 base.
If you just want to look at it or drive to car show, then find the cheapest thing with a wing. Many do just that.-Richard

Reactions: bruinfn4lf

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I saw those listings on cars.com. I know I should probably appreciate the white one with the Martini vinyl, but I would have it removed ASAP. When I enter the market to buy one it will have to be a 2015 or 2016 with certified warranty. I'm planning to keep the car at least 2-3 years and then upgrade to a 991.2 GT3.
Yes, 2015 and 2016 with warranty, I heard the 2014 are prone to engine failures from rennlist.com. Most would not own the 991.1 GT3's without warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to shoot for a new one, but, if necessary, settle for a used one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts