Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Planet-9,

I've been reading the forum ever since I test-drove a base 981 Cayman two weeks ago. This was my very first Porsche driving experience. I had my first Porsche experience at the age of 8 when my uncle bought a green 911 964 Carrera. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to drive this car as it remained off-limit to everyone, even to my cousins. Nevertheless, this was the starting point of my interest in Porsches, but my father being a BMW fanboy, that interest always remained secondary to my love for Bimmers.

For the last 15 years, I've only owned MINIs althoug my current car is a E82 135i Coupe. These cars have key attributes in common: a great handling, a small form factor, and they are very fun to drive. Since the lease of my E82 is close to an end (March 2016), I've started researching my next car. Naturally, I investigated MINI and BMW first but I've been quite disappointed. MINIs are not so mini anymore and their exterior design is quite questionable. Except for M cars, its seems that newer BMWs have lost their ultimate driving machineness in the fight for the top spot against Audi and Mercedes.

After test-driving the 2015 MINI JCW, the 2014 Golf R, and the M235i my mind was pretty set on a M2, but that all changed after I test drove the Cayman. Granted the base Cayman doesn't have the greatest bhp/price ratio in the marketplace, especially versus the upcoming M2, in addition to all the attributes mentioned above there's something intangible about this car that made me fall in love with it. In fact, I haven't felt that way about any car since my first MINI. On top of that, I didn't realize how "accessible" it is for a Porsche. Enthusiasts like me that are not well versed in the Porsche world, and believe it's all about the 911 but it is just so wrong.

Up until now, I always thought getting a brand new Porsche would be inaccessible until retirement but turns out I was wrong. The Cayman makes for the perfect first Porsche. And with the change to 4 cylinders turbo engines next year, now is the perfect time to get into one.

Apologies for the long introduction but until I order or find a good CPO I won't have much to share.

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this forum! It really makes for an invaluable source of information for newcomers like me :)

--Alex

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good luck Axoo. I was where you were 2 weeks ago. I was coming out of a MINI convertible and looking for a CPO 2013 Boxster. I ended up buying a 2014 Boxster demo that was not much more expensive tha a CPO 2013. You might look for a leftover Cayman.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A few months back I was sitting at a stoplight in my Miata when a 991 GT3 with the sport exhaust enabled burbled to a stop next to me before executing a right on red and sang its beautiful, siren song as it accelerated away. The hook was set. Hearing the news that Porsche was going to drop the NA flat 6 for a turbo four just sped things up a bit. Three weeks ago I bought a previously owned 2014 Cayman S 6MT with PSE (and a bunch of other acronyms that start with 'P').

Good luck with your search, Alex.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
hello axoo007! have fun shopping for your new ride!

lots of info here on options, CPO vs non CPO, PDK vs Manual, sports chrono, etc. contributed by many!

803 Posts
Hello axoo007!

You will not regret getting into a Cayman one bit! Don't be scared off by bhp/price numbers, as these cars are a great platform for performance gains and we can put you where you want to be. On top of that, the Cayman is balanced, light, and nimble to the point where any lack in power is forgotten quickly. You will love it :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been an Audi guy for the last sixteen years and even purchased a new Audi S3 late last year. It was fast but I found that it just did not have enough driver involvement. I moved up to a base Cayman with a manual transmission last week and it is awesome. :dance:

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Welcome to the P-world!

You really have to hurry if you want an 6 cylinder NA engine. But now is a great time to look for "left-over" cars on the lots. Over 10% discounts are not unheard of. May be you can squeeze an S this way!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all!

Speaking of last NA engine cars, I'll visit a couple of dealers next week to get a sense of how much time I have left to order one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you all!

Speaking of last NA engine cars, I'll visit a couple of dealers next week to get a sense of how much time I have left to order one.
The dealers themselves aren't sure. There is a supposed big announcement coming from Porsche tomorrow @ 6PM EDT. The coming 981 turbo 4 may be a topic.

I wouldn't dilly-dally if you want a new NA 981.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't read any press release about this announcement. Do you have a link or something?

If it's such a big announcement it would probably come from PAG and 6pm EST is 12am in Europe...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts