Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of the new Contour brand small HD camera that mount on a helmet. Besides the camera mounted between my seats A camera that would record where I was looking would be a great training aide. It would also allow me to record when I was riding with someone else. Thoughts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That might be something to try out... Any links??

How do you mount the cam between the seats? I thought about it but was too lazy to try it out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This is GoPro video from the Parade AX in Keystone. The camera is on the right side of my helmet. If you look, closely, you can see the camera in the rear view mirror, and in one of the stills after the video is done.

BTW, the sound quality from this version of the GoPro (not the new HD model) is poor, thus the music. Hope you like Ted Nugent. :)

MobileMe Gallery

Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can't get it to download Jack
Well, it is not password protected, but you have to have Quicktime. Maybe that is the problem?

I did try the link, and it is working from here, so I am not sure what the issue is.

Anyway, sorry about that.

Brian

·
Registered
444 Posts
I looked at these and was just waiting for someone that had one to see how good it works first before buying on. Also interested in hearing some reviews from owners of these.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the new ContourHD1080p. Love it. What I like is that it's so small and light weight, I'm not afraid of making a hard turn and having it come flying off.

It comes with a helmet/3m mount, but i bought the contourhd windshield car mount from Amazon and stuck it on the wind deflector between the seats. (i have boxster) It records the entire cockpit from A pillar to A pillar. The car mount is a panavise clamp with a big suction cup on it. It's a ball/socket joint, so if you have existing RAM mounts, it should fit as well. They also sell a seperate universal mount if you don't want to buy the whole windshield mount so you can use it with your existing RAM mounts.

Picture quality is excellent. A little bit of fish eye effect, which is to be expected since you get widescreen lens. Youtube/countourHD's website doesn't quite do it justice since they decrease the quality a little bit once you upload the vids. Put it this way, I could read the digital speedometer on the dash with no problems, and signs on the side of the street when I stop at a red light. It comes standard with a 2 gig SD card. You can pick up a 8gb sd card on amazon for ~30 bucks. At full 1920x1080 @30fps, 40 min ride around town was a little over 3 gigs file size.

Battery life is decent, the website lists 4 hours if recording on standard def. Amazon sells a car charger that you will allow you to record + charge at the same time.

Cons -
1. The lack of a small lcd screen to preview what it's pointed at. But the original intent of the camera was for action sports (snowboard/bmx/moto guys), so they made it as small and as light weight as possible. Not a big deal for me, since at 1080, the view is so wide i'm not worried about missing something. It has little lasers on the front to align it parallel to the ground. Since I have the car mount, I set it in the car the first time, recorded a quick 10 secs and checked in the computer at the view to make sure it was pointing where i wanted.
2. Microphone - the mic is right on the motherboard itself, and it's not the highest quality. When i go over bumps in the road, the motherboard inside the plastic casing rattles against the plastic case little bit, and the mic picks up the sound so occasionally, my vids have a little "click" noises when I go over stiff bumps. I had my windows closed, so I didn't have any wind noise on my test run, but wind noise will probably still be a problem if you have the top down or window open going at high speed. But that's true for all these action cams. Go Pro has the same problem with wind noise at high speeds.

The settings on the camera are adjustable via a .txt file on the sd card. You can set the gain on the mic, contrast/exposure, etc. It records in h.254 codec. Files are stored in .mov extension, but you can rename it to .avi and edit it in windows movie maker if you don't have fancy video editting software. (The camera comes with software you can download off their website, but it's not the greatest editing software, and you don't really need it. Windows movie maker will do for basic stuff)

The support is great, their techs are on the forum all day long, and respond promptly. I bought the windshield mount from amazon, but it wouldn't fit the camera. Posted on the forum, got a reply the same day. Apparently the first batch from their manufacturer had the wrong width on the mount, and they sent me a replacement one for free, no questions asked.

I didn't like the bulky square shape of the Go Pro, although if you're mounting it inside a car, it might not be as big of a problem.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Has anyone tried one of the new Contour brand small HD camera that mount on a helmet. Besides the camera mounted between my seats A camera that would record where I was looking would be a great training aide. It would also allow me to record when I was riding with someone else. Thoughts
I use the Contour HD helmet cam all the time while mountain biking and while riding my Harley......awesome camera and very easy to use.....1 slide button to turn on & off. Videos that I have produced have come out very clear. I am considering upgrading to the ContourHD 1080p very soon.
:gossip:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts