Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Calling Porsche Track Enthusiasts!

Eric from APEX Race Parts here. (Don’t worry, I’m not just another internet sales guy - I’m actually leading APEX’s Porsche wheel development.)

For those of you who know us from our roots in the BMW world, you know that we develop our performance wheels based on real world experiences and feedback from go-fast enthusiasts. (You!) We’ve been flooded with requests to develop some Porsche-specific wheels and now we have the team in place to make it happen! We’ve got a few fitment ideas in mind, but we really want to pick your brain before we pull the trigger. Got a few minutes to help us out?

[Give us your 2 cents]

Once we get a better understanding of your deepest wishes and desires for an affordable (yet race-proven) set of shoes for your car, we’ll put our creative and engineerings minds to work to develop a lineup of APEX wheels that makes sense whether you’re in the market for street or track-worthy wheels.

So, who am I? Well, many things, but the important thing is that I’ve been neck-deep in the performance driving world for years - HDPE’ing and Time Trialing my Porsche around the Northern California tracks every opportunity that I get. If you’re like me and have spent time in the paddock, you’ve surely seen the majority of BMWs on a set of APEX wheels. Over the past 10 years, it was obvious that APEX dedicated themselves to fill voids and ease pains the BMW enthusiasts felt in regards to wheel quality, affordability, and availability. By enlisting fellow enthusiasts in the decision making process, APEX incorporated forum members into product development and connected with their community in a way that no one else in the motorsports world had. Hungry to implement that in other track oriented markets, I proposed the idea of a Porsche department to APEX, and voila! That’s why I’m reaching out to you now.

Now that we’re all gearing up for the off-season builds, repairs, and modifications, I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re ecstatic to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) on developing off-the-shelf, race engineered, lightweight fitments that are perfect for your beloved Porsche.

The best way to help would be to tell us a bit more about what you’d look for and expect in a set of track proven, dependable, and affordable wheels. When you grab your next cup of coffee, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us?

[Take our Porsche Wheel Survey]

Please stay tuned and we will surely keep you updated as our Porsche division progresses!

Happy tracking,
Eric

Shown below are our 18" APEX SM-10 in profile 1 (front) concavity and profile 2 (rear) concavity.

Satin black -

Anthracite -

Race Silver -

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm surprised it's taken this long, but this is good news to hear!

I've been looking around, and the options are really limited for weekend enthusiasts/hpde'rs/autocrossers like me. There's the OZ offerings (ie. Alleggerita in 18", etc) which Tirerack seems to hold the market on in NA. The other option is to go custom courtesy of your Taiwan/China/USA monoblock "forged" manufacturers. There's Rays (18" RT is discontinued after stock is gone), and Advan has a decent selection but is not really readily available in NA from what I can tell. Enkei has the NT03RR, but they failed miserably on the face design/profile....

You can probably tell I'm leaning towards 18" wheels for motorsports use for the older 987/996/997/similar.

I'm in the market for wheels, but I'm sure these won't be in production for awhile?

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised it's taken this long, but this is good news to hear!

I've been looking around, and the options are really limited for weekend enthusiasts/hpde'rs/autocrossers like me. There's the OZ offerings (ie. Alleggerita in 18", etc) which Tirerack seems to hold the market on in NA. The other option is to go custom courtesy of your Taiwan/China/USA monoblock "forged" manufacturers. There's Rays (18" RT is discontinued after stock is gone), and Advan has a decent selection but is not really readily available in NA from what I can tell. Enkei has the NT03RR, but they failed miserably on the face design/profile....

You can probably tell I'm leaning towards 18" wheels for motorsports use for the older 987/996/997/similar.

I'm in the market for wheels, but I'm sure these won't be in production for awhile?
Thank you for your feedback and the warm welcome! We agree it's long overdue, but the correct team is now in place for our Porsche division to thrive too. Mimicking what we've successfully done with BMW, we'll be filling that exact market void and product pain point(s) by the end of Q1 2018. Our pre-orders and initial group buy will likely take place late 2017/early 2018, with wheels in enthusiasts hands by March or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for your feedback and the warm welcome! We agree it's long overdue, but the correct team is now in place for our Porsche division to thrive too. Mimicking what we've successfully done with BMW, we'll be filling that exact market void and product pain point(s) by the end of Q1 2018. Our pre-orders and initial group buy will likely take place late 2017/early 2018, with wheels in enthusiasts hands by March or so.

Awesome! I'll have to make sure to follow up on this in the next few months.

I vote for non-blingy, and non-mesh designs if at all possible - low cost would be a bonus :). There are already too many mesh style designs out there IMO.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I'll have to make sure to follow up on this in the next few months.

I vote for non-blingy, and non-mesh designs if at all possible - low cost would be a bonus :). There are already too many mesh style designs out there IMO.
Noted! I spotted your survey submission, so thank you for participating. :cheers:

We're still urging enthusiasts to take the survey as the results are a direct reflection of what wheels are brought to the community.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My 2 cents worth. I would think that light weight monoblock forged wheels would be the ticket, it is for me, size 18x9x47offset front and 18x10x35 rear. Weight around 19 lbs F and 20 R. Comes in various tint colors, but Black Chrome is new with very little weight increase and is easy to clean. So my choice for next seasons autocross. Maybe next set would be something else for my Hoosiers that are lighter, stronger and cheaper. This set ran $3k with Black Chrome. Engineered and designed in US. Custom made in Taiwan on CNC machines to your specs from monoblock aluminum with JWL / VIA certificate of accreditation in various fatigue tests.

Alloy wheel Rim Spoke Tire Wheel

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think that light weight monoblock forged wheels would be the ticket, it is for me, size 18x9x47offset front and 18x10x35 rear. Weight around 19 lbs F and 20 R. Comes in various tint colors, but Black Chrome is new with very little weight increase and is easy to clean. So my choice for next seasons autocross. Maybe next set would be something else for my Hoosiers that are lighter, stronger and cheaper. This set ran $3k with Black Chrome. Custom Made in Taiwan to your specs.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The wheel specifications you mentioned above align well with some of my proposed fitments for the 987 chassis. I cannot say we'll be offering "black chrome," as the finishes mentioned in our Porsche survey above are tried, trued, and tested in our renown BMW wheels. We'll likely stick with our existing finishes, with the exception of bronze and gloss black. We're open to introducing different finishes in the future, but I will consult the community with that at a later date.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts. Please click to enlarge.

View attachment 171322 View attachment 171330

I'll be at Sonoma Raceway tomorrow and Thunderhill Sunday, so let me know if you're going to either!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Are your wheels rotary forged or monoblock forged? This item is critical from my point of view in racing, lighter, stronger and in many cases more detailed.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Are your wheels rotary forged or monoblock forged? This item is critical from my point of view in racing, lighter, stronger and in many cases more detailed.
Our wheels are JWL/VIA certified flow-formed (rotary forged). The flow-forming improves the strength of the barrel so the yields are more like a fully forged wheel.

We encourage enthusiasts to do their due-diligence before making an educated wheel purchase as we’re all aware of the failures that can happen.

We’re sickened by the number of companies claiming they’re VIA/JWL certified when in fact they are not, so we always welcome a discussion on the matter and would urge enthusiasts to ensure their legitimacy.

The VIA in Japan runs the JWL test and there is only one way to conduct that test so a manufacturer can’t game the system. SAE J2530 testing conducted in the USA, and other tests ran overseas by some manufacturers, can be manipulated. We got into a spat with a competitor many years ago that claimed JWL/VIA/TUV certification. They only did SAE testing and that test allows them to pick any load rating to certify. That brand only tested to 1200lbs when VIA requires 690KG (1521lbs) for the 5x120 bolt pattern. A trend we see lately is brands that use tricky terminology such as “exceeds JWL/VIA”. Translated, that means they have no third party official evidence of anything, they want you to trust that they conducted a legitimate in-house test, and for some good reason they decided not to take that last step. These in-house tests and videos are conducted without regulation, subject to false load quantities, and used solely for marketing purposes. This is where the catastrophic on-track failures occur and the biggest differences start to reveal themselves in the wheel industry.

Please note that we are ⅓ the price of Forgeline/Finspeed/BBS and nearly half the price of CCW.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upon hearing that APEX is entering the Porsche world, one of our former BMW clients contacted us with fantastic news; he had moved onto a beautiful Sapphire Blue GT4. He was generous enough to loan us his car to take specific measurements of the GT4 chassis, suspension geometry, brake clearance, and test fit an APEX wheel(s).

A few neat pictures can be seen below -

..."Pointing" at the LCA toe link :evilgrin:

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to the 700+ fellow enthusiasts who have participated in our survey. It is still live and we're continually welcoming feedback well into our development stages. It directly impacts what we produce and when, so please share your preferences.

I'll have exciting news in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Thanks all.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the first round of renderings, so I know this isn't directly applicable to this specific forum - but just a hint of what's to come! Here's some visual excitement for your Monday - a sneak peek of satin black APEX SM-10 on a Sharkwerks 3.9L GT3RS - Enjoy!

Please feel free to reach out with any inquiries and/or questions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.