Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Calling Porsche Track Enthusiasts!

Eric from APEX Race Parts here. (Don’t worry, I’m not just another internet sales guy - I’m actually leading APEX’s Porsche wheel development.)

For those of you who know us from our roots in the BMW world, you know that we develop our performance wheels based on real world experiences and feedback from go-fast enthusiasts. (You!) We’ve been flooded with requests to develop some Porsche-specific wheels and now we have the team in place to make it happen! We’ve got a few fitment ideas in mind, but we really want to pick your brain before we pull the trigger. Got a few minutes to help us out?

[Give us your 2 cents]

Once we get a better understanding of your deepest wishes and desires for an affordable (yet race-proven) set of shoes for your car, we’ll put our creative and engineerings minds to work to develop a lineup of APEX wheels that makes sense whether you’re in the market for street or track-worthy wheels.

So, who am I? Well, many things, but the important thing is that I’ve been neck-deep in the performance driving world for years - HDPE’ing and Time Trialing my Porsche around the Northern California tracks every opportunity that I get. If you’re like me and have spent time in the paddock, you’ve surely seen the majority of BMWs on a set of APEX wheels. Over the past 10 years, it was obvious that APEX dedicated themselves to fill voids and ease pains the BMW enthusiasts felt in regards to wheel quality, affordability, and availability. By enlisting fellow enthusiasts in the decision making process, APEX incorporated forum members into product development and connected with their community in a way that no one else in the motorsports world had. Hungry to implement that in other track oriented markets, I proposed the idea of a Porsche department to APEX, and voila! That’s why I’m reaching out to you now.

Now that we’re all gearing up for the off-season builds, repairs, and modifications, I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re ecstatic to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) on developing off-the-shelf, race engineered, lightweight fitments that are perfect for your beloved Porsche.

The best way to help would be to tell us a bit more about what you’d look for and expect in a set of track proven, dependable, and affordable wheels. When you grab your next cup of coffee, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us?

[Take our Porsche Wheel Survey]

Please stay tuned and we will surely keep you updated as our Porsche division progresses!

Happy tracking,
Eric

Shown below are our 18" APEX SM-10 in profile 1 (front) concavity and profile 2 (rear) concavity.

Satin black -

Anthracite -

Race Silver -

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
As I said when I filled out the survey, I'd like factory widths and offsets. Start monkeying with other #s and you run into fitment issues. It seems every aftermarket wheel is always 1/2 in wider and offset off by a few numbers. Causes all kinds of needless problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As I said when I filled out the survey, I'd like factory widths and offsets. Start monkeying with other #s and you run into fitment issues. It seems every aftermarket wheel is always 1/2 in wider and offset off by a few numbers. Causes all kinds of needless problems.
The LAST thing I want is to have spent all that money on new wheels / rubber then sit out all weekend at the track because of fitment issues!

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Coming from BMW I can’t wait to see Apex wheels for my Cayman! Nothing but good expirences with Apex.
The LAST thing I want is to have spent all that money on new wheels / rubber then sit out all weekend at the track because of fitment issues!
Thank you guys for participating and voicing your concerns. Any opportunity to shed light on the subject is one that always helps illustrate APEX’s strengths.

For 10 years now, we've listened to the BMW motorsports community to fill the voids of OEM and aftermarket offerings; fitment(s) being one of them. There is a lot to gain using OEM specifications as a baseline and improving the widths and offsets to complement the chassis. Although our projected fitments will have different offsets and be wider than some stock options, I can assure you that there will be F/R wheel options that will suit your OEM needs and concerns perfectly. Will not rub, won't cause any clearance issues, and will fit within the OEM rolling diameter % tolerances.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Right now the wheel to have for SCCA autocross for 987 is matching XRR width and offset in 18", but options are very limited. I had to have a set of custom forgestars made for me last year because it's an abnormal size. So, I'm not in the market for new wheels right now, but considering how aggressively 987.1S is classed, it would be nice for others to have more options.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now the wheel to have for SCCA autocross for 987 is matching XRR width and offset in 18", but options are very limited. I had to have a set of custom forgestars made for me last year because it's an abnormal size. So, I'm not in the market for new wheels right now, but considering how aggressively 987.1S is classed, it would be nice for others to have more options.
Just as we've successfully done with BMW, that is the current market void and pain point we will be solving in the Porsche market. A quality, strong, lightweight, and affordable wheel with off-the-shelf availability in chassis-specific fitments perfect for track abuse. This is why incorporating forum members into product development is invaluable.

I strongly urge Porsche enthusiasts here to pour over 10 years worth of APEX related dialogue on BMW forums like M3forum.net and Bimmerpost.com to get unbiased feedback from enthusiasts including a plethora of competitive W2W racers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts. Please click to enlarge.

View attachment 171322 View attachment 171330

I'll be at Sonoma Raceway tomorrow and Thunderhill Sunday, so let me know if you're going to either!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I wouldn't think the hardcore track rats would care about an extra lb.

If they do, there are other ways to get that lb back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts. Please click to enlarge.

View attachment 171322 View attachment 171330

I'll be at Sonoma Raceway tomorrow and Thunderhill Sunday, so let me know if you're going to either!
I don't have a strong preference either way. I probably wouldn't run the cap even if it fit on the track.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wouldn't think the hardcore track rats would care about an extra lb.

If they do, there are other ways to get that lb back.
I think it's worth a couple oz for the cap.
I don't have a strong preference either way. I probably wouldn't run the cap even if it fit on the track.
^^^what gman said.
What I've gathered is that companies who are much more expensive will make lighter wheels -- but we serve a different purpose. APEX are dual-duty, strong, budget friendly, lightweight, track worthy wheels that can stand to live with an additional .25lbs. Those who seek to save every ounce and bypass a center-cap will likely opt for the $6k/set light(er)weight wheels, anyway. This confirms my suspicion, so I appreciate your input. Though no decision has been set in stone thus far, so the discussion re: center-cap accommodation is still up for debate.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"APEX are dual-duty, strong, budget friendly, lightweight, track worthy wheels that can stand to live with an additional .25lbs. "

​BINGO!
+1000000 on this statement
Thank you for your continual support, gentlemen!

As our Porsche wheel development is chugging along at a fast pace, please note that the survey is still up and running. If you haven't already, please take 5 minutes to share your preferences!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Back in 2008 or 9 there was a group buy for 18" Champion RS98 wheels. I acquired a set used in matte black finish that I have used for track wheels. They are 18x9 +47 and 18x10 +33. They work great as track wheels as they work well for clearing coilovers where inside clearance is an issue. I run 245/35 and 295/30 Hoosiers. Camber plates up front help also. Just another data point.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back in 2008 or 9 there was a group buy for 18" Champion RS98 wheels. I acquired a set used in matte black finish that I have used for track wheels. They are 18x9 +47 and 18x10 +33. They work great as track wheels as they work well for clearing coilovers where inside clearance is an issue. I run 245/35 and 295/30 Hoosiers. Camber plates up front help also. Just another data point.
Thank you for sharing! How many degrees of camber are you running with this setup?

I greatly appreciate you sharing this data point; confirms some of my proposed fitments which is always confidence inspiring.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.